GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Altitude DBV2 - Denver

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
That sounds about right on my end too for my quote which has definitely been factored in.
Ok just making sure lol I almost shit myself when I got the quote for it. I decided to go with Stratified instead a lot cheaper.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
When I looked at switching everything over to UM I also decided it was cost prohibitive. Between DSG, ECU, surcharges for bigger turbos, MPI, flex, etc it was well over $2K.

Everyone loves to hate on Maestro but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a much better for me than Cobb or any dealer based tuning solution. I recommend Cobb for the vast majority of people.

Navi

Autocross Champion
When I looked at switching everything over to UM I also decided it was cost prohibitive. Between DSG, ECU, surcharges for bigger turbos, MPI, flex, etc it was well over $2K.

Everyone loves to hate on Maestro but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a much better for me than Cobb or any dealer based tuning solution. I recommend Cobb for the vast majority of people.

how do you feel about ecutek? I've been playing around with it in demo mode and I really like it. Of course in theory, not in implementation - yet.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie

literally because of your post, I will look more into Maestro for my upcoming tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you pick up that used DBV2 that was just up in the classifieds? Crazy if so...I think that turbo was on a Bluewater customers car for a super short time before he pulled for something else (Think he wanted a top end monster) and then he sold it here. Made it through 2 forums members in FL (never being installed on either car) and then making it back to you in Denver to be installed by BW again LOL.
Anyway, I assume BW is giving you uncorrected figures w 400whp?
If so, I think you will plenty happy (at least for a while). I'm on a stock IS38 with EQT's E40 tune and I dyno'd on Bluewater's dyno at 350whp uncorrected. I've been completely satisfied with where my car sits in regards to power and I've had this set-up for about 10 months now. Would I like to have more power...sure, but the car is plenty quick w where it sits. Should be a fun set up once you have that thing installed!

What brand of dyno is the 350 HP on? When I had the OEM IS38 I dynoed 362 HP on 93 octane and no E. That was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

Why do you prefer Maestro? Self adjustability?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In my case I wanted 425-450whp on pump 93 octane. I did not want to run a blend or race gas. The only way to hit that horsepower goal with pump gas is to go for a larger turbo. Sure I could push an IS38 to the limit on a blend and reach the same horsepower goals for less money, but I did not want to have to blend every tank of fuel I put in the car, I did not want to take a 15-20% hit in my MPGs, and I don't care to push a turbo close to it’s limits. I absolutely love my setup as it sits pump gas and all. Plus if I ever do decide I want to go with a blend or full E85 and shoot for 500whp I still have plenty of turbo left to do that. If I was already running a max effort IS38 I would have to upgrade turbos again for more power.

I really don't see the con here for a hybrid if you don't care about an increase in turbo lag. I don't. I've adjusted my driving style accordingly and the car drives just fine. The lag produced by the hybrid does not take any fun away from the car for me. The trade off for top end power is well worth what you lose on the bottom end in my opinion.

Not everyone has access to ethanol or the desire to push an IS38 to the ragged edge of its capabilities. But I still wanted 425-450whp. BT was the only way to achieve those results on pump gas.

So you're saying if I want to run pump gas I’m just supposed to stay at 300-320whp levels?

I see the pros of Ethanol I really do but it's not something that everyone wants or has the ability to do. Sorry.

I agree with you and thought the same way. With regards to turbo size how does my TPC20 compare to your DBV2?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I agree with you and thought the same way. With regards to turbo size how does my TPC20 compare to your DBV2?

Honestly couldn’t tell you. As far as I know DBV2 hasn’t published any specific numbers regarding the size of the V1’s compressor and turbine wheels. I could ask Dan though and I’m sure he would happily supply the information. If you want to take this to PM’s we could compare photos there ;)

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
What brand of dyno is the 350 HP on? When I had the OEM IS38 I dynoed 362 HP on 93 octane and no E. That was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Same exact dyno Ed uses at EQT...Dynocom FX5000. Both the original poster (Coolrunning39) and I live in Denver. We take serious hits at altitude. Uncorrected I was 350whp...corrected was 420whp, so approx 17%-ish hit up here on whp

See Coolrunning comments on the 1st page. His old S3 on full E85, MPI, and UM tuning dyno'd on the same dyno I used (same shop...Bluewater Performance) was at 376whp uncorrected. I'm sure at sea level he would have been at 430-440whp. Again the altitude kills us

.....My S3 did 376whp on the stock IS38 and I was running full E85 w/UM tuning and such....

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Honestly couldn’t tell you. As far as I know DBV2 hasn’t published any specific numbers regarding the size of the V1’s compressor and turbine wheels. I could ask Dan though and I’m sure he would happily supply the information. If you want to take this to PM’s we could compare photos there ;)

I don't have any photos. TPC doesn't state the wheel sizes either.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Same exact dyno Ed uses at EQT...Dynocom FX5000. Both the original poster (Coolrunning39) and I live in Denver. We take serious hits at altitude. Uncorrected I was 350whp...corrected was 420whp, so approx 17%-ish hit up here on whp

See Coolrunning comments on the 1st page. His old S3 on full E85, MPI, and UM tuning dyno'd on the same dyno I used (same shop...Bluewater Performance) was at 376whp uncorrected. I'm sure at sea level he would have been at 430-440whp. Again the altitude kills us

I appreciate your post here. Altitude is a straight killer up here for sure. Definitely keeps an Interesting playing field between N/A and F/I folks too.

When I had a launch edition R(4 years ago now) I drove it back to Milwaukee and I was impressed by how much quicker it got. Coming back to Colorado, she just got slower and slower on the way up.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
....You could have done an HPFP and an E50 tune on the stock IS38, made nearly the same power, saved $2K, and had a much more fun car.

Pretty much my set up here in Denver (although e40 instead of e50) and what I stated on page 1 of the thread (from a bang for the buck aspect). Such a great set up for the $.

Coolrunning....what about having Ben and the guys at BW just throw in an LPFP while they are doing the turbo and have UM tune for say E30 or E40? You can still use the stock injection at E30 or E40.
I know it will increase the cost some, but would get you closer to your 400whp goal. I think on our crappy 91 with the DBV2 you arent going to be much more whp wise than where I'm at on the stock IS38 and E40 tune (as Hoon indicated). I bet you will come in at 350-360whp uncorrected on 91

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Pretty much my set up here in Denver (although e40 instead of e50) and what I stated on page 1 of the thread (from a bang for the buck aspect). Such a great set up for the $.

Coolrunning....what about having Ben and the guys at BW just throw in an LPFP while they are doing the turbo and have UM tune for say E30 or E40? You can still use the stock injection at E30 or E40.
I know it will increase the cost some, but would get you closer to your 400whp goal. I think on our crappy 91 with the DBV2 you arent going to be much more whp wise than where I'm at on the stock IS38 and E40 tune (as Hoon indicated). I bet you will come in at 350-360whp uncorrected on 91

Funny you mentioned this. After reading through and thinking more, a larger Walbro Pump while getting tuned might be a huge benefit. Cost wouldn’t go up greatly but the outcome would be more desirable without maxing out the OEM fuel pump.

Reactions: MSH