GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Altitude DBV2 - Denver

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Morning friends,

Curious if anyone on the forum is running a DBV2 turbo in higher elevation? I recently purchased one(V2 Journal) with ceramic coating and ported and I am very excited to get this on the car in the next month or so. I live in Denver and we are a full 5280 elevation and more to climb when going into the mountains. I will be using UM for the tuning and Bluewater Performance(my shop) said it will be able to achieve 400whp only because of our elevation.

When the turbo gets installed I will have a Milltek catted DP, R600 intake, MST turbo inlet pipe and hose, and intercooler. I will be sticking to stock fueling and may explore the port injection again in the future.

Anyone else out there running a similar setup at elevation and what has your experience been?

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I would definitely recommend autotech hpfp and LPFP, which will get you comfortably to 400 to low 400s whp uncorrected on ethanol. If you don't want to pony up for MPI at this time.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
So, 2 cars ago I had an S3 with MPI(1300 injectors) from precision and a 450 walbro on the OEM IS38. It was a fantastic setup but I wanted the hybrid turbo too. Had a kid, got an A6 and didn’t like the larger boat. Now I’m back in an R.

This time around I switched things up and got the DBV2 but using stock fueling. I can run E30 with UM but it won’t be full fueling just larger turbo.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Curious if anyone on the forum is running a DBV2 turbo in higher elevation? I recently purchased one(V2 Journal) with ceramic coating and ported and I am very excited to get this on the car in the next month or so. I live in Denver and we are a full 5280 elevation and more to climb when going into the mountains. I will be using UM for the tuning and Bluewater Performance(my shop) said it will be able to achieve 400whp only because of our elevation.

When the turbo gets installed I will have a Milltek catted DP, R600 intake, MST turbo inlet pipe and hose, and intercooler. I will be sticking to stock fueling and may explore the port injection again in the future.

Anyone else out there running a similar setup at elevation and what has your experience been?

Did you pick up that used DBV2 that was just up in the classifieds? Crazy if so...I think that turbo was on a Bluewater customers car for a super short time before he pulled for something else (Think he wanted a top end monster) and then he sold it here. Made it through 2 forums members in FL (never being installed on either car) and then making it back to you in Denver to be installed by BW again LOL.
Anyway, I assume BW is giving you uncorrected figures w 400whp?
If so, I think you will plenty happy (at least for a while). I'm on a stock IS38 with EQT's E40 tune and I dyno'd on Bluewater's dyno at 350whp uncorrected. I've been completely satisfied with where my car sits in regards to power and I've had this set-up for about 10 months now. Would I like to have more power...sure, but the car is plenty quick w where it sits. Should be a fun set up once you have that thing installed!

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Curious to see where you end up power wise. I'm in Denver too, my house is at 5900'. I plan to get EQT's E30 tune when my clutch starts to go and I have to upgrade it.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Did you pick up that used DBV2 that was just up in the classifieds? Crazy if so...I think that turbo was on a Bluewater customers car for a super short time before he pulled for something else (Think he wanted a top end monster) and then he sold it here. Made it through 2 forums members in FL (never being installed on either car) and then making it back to you in Denver to be installed by BW again LOL.
Anyway, I assume BW is giving you uncorrected figures w 400whp?
If so, I think you will plenty happy (at least for a while). I'm on a stock IS38 with EQT's E40 tune and I dyno'd on Bluewater's dyno at 350whp uncorrected. I've been completely satisfied with where my car sits in regards to power and I've had this set-up for about 10 months now. Would I like to have more power...sure, but the car is plenty quick w where it sits. Should be a fun set up once you have that thing installed!

I know which one you’re talking about but this was the other DBV2 turbo for sale that was brand new from a guy out in CT(comes in the mail today!). It was a over the phone conversation spitball number of 400whp but makes sense without fueling and elevation out here.

That’s a solid whp for being out here man! My S3 did 376whp on the stock IS38 and I was running full E85 w/UM tuning and such. Damn thing was a blast to drive. If I can get back to those numbers with maybe a hair more, I would absolutely love that! I’ll be able to run E30 for sure since we have Stations all around us out here.

Reactions: MSH