GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Altitude DBV2 - Denver

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Apologies for things going sideways there Coolrunning. Wasn't my intent to derail your thread!

oh Not at all man! This has been extremely educational for me. just glad to know my setup will be just fine out here.

It is literally impossible to hit 400whp on the stock is38 out here because of elevation so if I can do it with a larger turbo and blended with some E, I would be happy as hell.

Reactions: MSH

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
MSH, so the main reason to get a L380X is the better bearings? It'll make basically the same power as the stock IS38? At that point why not buy another IS38 from FCP Euro with their lifetime warranty?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
MSH, so the main reason to get a L380X is the better bearings? It'll make basically the same power as the stock IS38? At that point why not buy another IS38 from FCP Euro with their lifetime warranty?

The L380X will gain about 50 HP on the same setup compared to the OEMIS38.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

Looks like Ed is squeezing a bit more power out of the L380X vs the stock IS38 based one of the members here that was tuned by Ed on E48 with only HPFP and FBO. I posted the link to the dyno chart earlier in this thread(again below for reference). Looks like about 457whp on the EQT Dynocom dyno. I did 420whp corrected on the same Dynocom dyno at Bluewater which is exactly where Ed said I should be when we started the tuning process. I would probably tune on E40 again for this turbo so I would expect a bit less than the 457whp....maybe ~450whp-ish on Bluewater's dyno, so about a 30whp increase over my set up now (stock IS38/E40 EQT tune/FBO)

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?attachments/20190918_214148-jpg.158926/&fbclid=IwAR2Ui_T0r6Z1iW5aocba5I9eY4NB83nh-U-TtCcDVtr_3v_S4PPSgzuqIUQ

Edit - One other thing I neglected to point out is the L380x can be pretty cost effective if you go the SuperCore route they offer (another reason I like this approach for myself). It's about $775 for the Supercore. It sounds like it just bolts directly into the stock IS38 turbine housing. You just swap over the wastegate actuator,DV, and turbo muffler from the stock IS38. Get a new tune from Ed for $600 and done.

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Hey CR, any updates on your DBV2 install? I ended up ordering a Vortex standard about a month ago, but still waiting to take delivery. Will be doing 91 and E30-E40 tune, no MPI, Pagparts 450 LPFP

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
You'll need some front end fueling to run ethanol on that thing. Definitely consider MPI.

"Front end fueling"? As in HPFP? Check my sig. It's already on the car. I'm already to deep on this car. I'm not doing MPI. If I have to I'll just have Nick at EQT lower my e blend until he feels it's totally safe

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Because you are in Denver I would run E85. That will help big time to reduce the hit of altitude with more timing. You also have heat as you enemy and E85 will help a bit. I would consider a turbo that spools well. I have run 3 different turbos (IS20, IS38, L450) in Denver and would likely run a standard housing Vortex on corn if I was back in Denver. That would give me decent spool and reliability.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Hey CR, any updates on your DBV2 install? I ended up ordering a Vortex standard about a month ago, but still waiting to take delivery. Will be doing 91 and E30-E40 tune, no MPI, Pagparts 450 LPFP

The only update I have is that it is still sitting in the same box as it was delivered in, lol. I own a mobility business out here in Denver(Mobility Plus) and we have increased sales and service enough to hire 2 new people. Literally been slammed with and no time to have the turbo installed from Bluewater as of yet.

I am excited to get it on as both the DBV2 is ceramic coated and so is my downpipe so it will keep those summer temps down when I do get around to it.

Reactions: MSH

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The only update I have is that it is still sitting in the same box as it was delivered in, lol. I own a mobility business out here in Denver(Mobility Plus) and we have increased sales and service enough to hire 2 new people. Literally been slammed with and no time to have the turbo installed from Bluewater as of yet.

I am excited to get it on as both the DBV2 is ceramic coated and so is my downpipe so it will keep those summer temps down when I do get around to it.

I Googled your business and you have a very good website. Great job and congrats on your success.