GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Assuming you use 20 gallons per month, that’s 240 gallons per year. The difference between 91 and 87 is about 50 cents. That’s $120 more per year using better gas or about $700 in six years. That’s peanuts.

Now when you use 50 gallons a month, and the difference between 87 and 93 is $1.20/gal, it's about $3,000+ more per year.

I consider it part of the cost of ownership though ♥️♥️

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Now when you use 50 gallons a month, and the difference between 87 and 93 is $1.20/gal, it's about $3,000+ more per year.

I consider it part of the cost of ownership though ♥️♥️
This... I work with several people who drive vehicles less efficient than ours with commutes of 50+ miles each way.

While I wouldn't say they are wasting money by going with premium if their car runs better with it. But for the majority of their highway and stop and go traffic running "better" probably means nothing.

For some of them a $1 difference between regular and premium is an easy $5,000 a year. One can also argue that since they drive a $70,000 SUV they can afford premium.

But 5K gets you 5k worth of whatever you want no matter how much money you have.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How is that gas "better"?

Less impurities, & a better cleaning additive package is added to the base fuel (dependant on fuel brand), & higher octane which is more "explosive".

The main reason is the higher the octane, the more the timing can be advanced & thus the bigger the compression (within the actual engine spec), & the cleaner & more complete the burn of the fuel. The side effect is extracting more bang out of the combustion, & having a faster bang, & therefore more power & slightly more torque...

My car engine has variable exhaust & intake camshafts, & was designed to use 95RON from the factory as its main fuel, & in an emergency it will cope with lower grade 91RON fuel.. Now I always used 98RON to 99RON Shell Vpower/Optimax/Nitro.....& yes my cars ECU can alter the camshafts & the timing of the spark plug firing to make use of the higher grade fuel....BUT as the ECU was designed to run on 91/95RON it was unable to advance the timing of the spark firing enough to make full use of the 98/99RON fuel. So when I got it remapped (Revo stage 1-B), the ECU parameters for the spark firing were advanced further (started earlier in the compression cycle by the piston) so it can make use 100% of the high octane fuel... The combustion is so complete that when I get the emissions test every year as part of the UK MOT the results are so low that they hardly register on the emissions equipment!!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
IM DELETING YOU, 93 octane!😭👋
██]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 10% complete.....
████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 35% complete....
███████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 60% complete....
███████████] 99% complete.....
🚫BANNED!🚫
💯True💯 higher octane ratings are irreplaceable 💖I could never delete you 93!💖

Send this to ten other 👪87 oct n00bs👪 who give you 💦smiles per mile 💦
Or never get called ☁️boostyboi☁️ again❌❌😬😬❌❌
If you get 0 Back: no boosties for you 🚫🚫👿
3 back: you're boostyboi☁️💦
5 back: you're APR's kitten😽👼💦
10+ back: 100octane plus meth😛😛💕💕💦👅👅

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
🚫BANNED!🚫

I'm clicking to expand and nothing is happening

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
🚫BANNED!🚫

......& breathe out.......& relax....:ROFLMAO:

Jay....thats enough internet for you today... ;)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
holy n00b

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Since my GTI was made in Mexico and Mexico is South of America what is the Souh American equilivent of 91 RON? Also since they used maize instead of corn what is the maize content converted to ethanol? Asking for a friend....

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I been running 91 here in Cali but my car only gets like 22mpg on a good day, and I am not flooring it everywhere. I've actually began looking into Nissan Leafs and other EVs cause the cost of gas is becoming absurd.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
87<93<E85

Jbjs40

I heard something about some MK7’s that are supposed to run off 87… to check your fuel tank etc.

Checked mine, it does show 87 but also 91 underneath. From the research I’ve done, in Canada and the US you want to look at the top number, Min (R+M)/2 87.

Is that correct? I’ve been running 91 for 6 years lol.

I have been driving my car for auto parts delivery for over a year now. I use Chevron only because of the Techron additives. I do all the work on my own car. Anyway the valves using 87 were a little brownish tan with a little carbon built up. But the mileage was 22-30 mpg on any given day. I switched to 91-93 premium the last 6 months and checked the valves again. (I use a can of DI Jectron from Liqui Moly every month by habit). After 6 months of driving in city driving stop and go traffic and some brief highway driving my valves were cleaner than when I used 87. But my gas mileage using 91-93 octane is 28-36 and a whopping 40 on a long highway vacation trip! I run Liqui moly 5/40 and performance air filter on a stock euro style air intake. I got rid of my TCR air intake because it gets too dirty too quickly. But the mileage is definitely way better using premium fuels. So I always have issue when these so called experts say that premium gas has no effect on mileage. Im definitely getting my moneys worth using premium. The only issue so far is my DV needs replaced after 7 years and 59000 miles.

Jbjs40

I been running 91 here in Cali but my car only gets like 22mpg on a good day, and I am not flooring it everywhere. I've actually began looking into Nissan Leafs and other EVs cause the cost of gas is becoming absurd.
Ive been thinking about an e-golf, my friend has a dealership and has 6 or 7 of them.