GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I heard something about some MK7’s that are supposed to run off 87… to check your fuel tank etc.

Checked mine, it does show 87 but also 91 underneath. From the research I’ve done, in Canada and the US you want to look at the top number, Min (R+M)/2 87.

Is that correct? I’ve been running 91 for 6 years lol.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I heard something about some MK7’s that are supposed to run off 87… to check your fuel tank etc.

Checked mine, it does show 87 but also 91 underneath. From the research I’ve done, in Canada and the US you want to look at the top number, Min (R+M)/2 87.

Is that correct? I’ve been running 91 for 6 years lol.

You can run lower octane fuels, but at the cost of performance and potentially longevity -- don't quote me on that. Idk, I'd rather just pay a little more for premium and have the peace of mind, particularly on FI cars.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
87 AKI = 91 RON. Different octane units. If the car (stock) says 87 clearly it's ok/safe to run it that way. You lose a bit of top end power is all.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Considering how regularly even the stock tune knocks and corrects for it, premium isn't a waste IMO. Yes the car CAN run 87 just fine, but when you get into more extreme situations like higher heat, premium will have less knock and less timing pull.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My post wasn’t a question of should I run premium or not. It was am I reading/understanding the fuel door sticker correctly?

I’ve been paying for premium for 6 years, so it’s obvious that I’m not trying to save $3 a tank. I am just wondering if this sticker means 87 minimum.

I have done some research and as far as I understand, the sticker says minimum 87.

I know that 2015s require 91 and 2017s require 87, not sure where my 2016 stands is all.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Where did I say that I wanted to run 87? I strictly put premium in this car for 6 years and I put premium on my MK5 for 4 years.

Dumbass comment 🫡

By inferring that you've been wasting money. If you want to do something, you're not wasting money. It's money willingly spent.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
My post wasn’t a question of should I run premium or not. It was am I reading/understanding the fuel door sticker correctly?

I’ve been paying for premium for 6 years, so it’s obvious that I’m not trying to save $3 a tank. I am just wondering if this sticker means 87 minimum.

I have done some research and as far as I understand, the sticker says minimum 87.

I know that 2015s require 91 and 2017s require 87, not sure where my 2016 stands is all.
So to be clear: 87 is perfectly fine based on your fuel door sticker. Your car will run fine on 87, but will probably pull some timing and be down on power here and there. 87 octane = 91 RON

tigeo

Autocross Champion

87 is the min. 87 AKI = 91 RON, sticker is for more than just US.

$3? Wow. Here it's typically almost $1 more than regular so $10 is more like it.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
By inferring that you've been wasting money. If you want to do something, you're not wasting money. It's money willingly spent.
If the car I purchased requires 91, or i tuned my car for 91 fuel, I have absolutely no issue putting 91 in. With that being said, if my car calls for 87 by VW engineers, that’s what I’ll run.
I’ve done days of reading and from what I gathered, aside from a false peace of mind, running octane fuel higher than the minimum is giving you no bonuses.

So to be clear: 87 is perfectly fine based on your fuel door sticker. Your car will run fine on 87, but will probably pull some timing and be down on power here and there. 87 octane = 91 RON
Thank you sir!

87 is the min. 87 AKI = 91 RON, sticker is for more than just US.

$3? Wow. Here it's typically almost $1 more than regular so $10 is more like it.
Wasn’t to be taken literally. I am inn Canada but after conversions, Regular fuel is $5.79 a gallon and premium is $6.47

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If the car I purchased requires 91, or i tuned my car for 91 fuel, I have absolutely no issue putting 91 in. With that being said, if my car calls for 87 by VW engineers, that’s what I’ll run.
I’ve done days of reading and from what I gathered, aside from a false peace of mind, running octane fuel higher than the minimum is giving you no bonuses.

So... you do want to run 87?

I'm so goddamn confused by this thread and your responses.