GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I get around 30 in the winter and 32-33 in warmer temperatures. But I only have a few lights and stop signs, so not a lot of stop and go.
93 octane and too scared to pump less than 91 in fear of carbon buildup or fuel injector failures. My logic may be incorrect but I’d rather prevent early repairs.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I get around 30 in the winter and 32-33 in warmer temperatures. But I only have a few lights and stop signs, so not a lot of stop and go.
93 octane and too scared to pump less than 91 in fear of carbon buildup or fuel injector failures. My logic may be incorrect but I’d rather prevent early repairs.

You need to put your foot down more often.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'm in the 87 gang....with my APR+ 87 tune :) Occasionally I will run a tank of 93 if I am going out blasting about.

MPG....I can get about 7mpg if I try really hard!

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’ve averaged 23 mpgs over the course of ownership. That’s all including E30, 91, highway, racing, and city.

IMG_4244.png

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Did an experiment today. 135 mile roundtrip 90% freeway at 70mph cruise control got 35mpg. Well it looks like my usual (more fun) driving style + daily commute mix of street and inconsistent freeway speeds is causing the 10 mpg loss (25 mpg average).

Conclusion. Cruise control hyper miling is boring as hell lol. Might as well get a corolla or prius.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Which app is that? I am using fuelio to track my mileage

The paid version of Road Trip.

I think it was only a few $$. I like it, pretty detailed. I add every expense, and can import/export to excel.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Did an experiment today. 135 mile roundtrip 90% freeway at 70mph cruise control got 35mpg. Well it looks like my usual (more fun) driving style + daily commute mix of street and inconsistent freeway speeds is causing the 10 mpg loss (25 mpg average).

Conclusion. Cruise control hyper miling is boring as hell lol. Might as well get a corolla or prius.
I think the EPA did your experiment, albeit in a more controlled way, haha. The 2018 GTI manual is rated at 25/33. I don't know the specifics of your car but it looks like you're just about there.

As someone who at one point did it.. Using cruise control is not hypermiling. Using cruise control is, as you found out, a pretty good way to get the rated highway mileage.

To put it another way, as a non hypermile-r I'm a perfectly tolerable person to drive behind on the highway. I get in the slow lane, enable cruise control at 65-70 and cruise. I'm not speeding up and I'm not slowing down. So if you want to pass me pass me. If you are happy with the speed I'm going you don't need to worry I'll randomly coast down to 55.

If hypermile-r I'm insufferable 😂. There's no way I would let cruise control stay engaged on even a slight incline. And generally speaking, I'm adjusting my speed based on my anticipation of what's coming up ahead. It's the absolute worst incarnation of momentum driving. So although I'm driving slow the overall speed is inconsistent and unpredictable, unless you are also hypermiling. That being said, I would be in a slow lane and you would likely just pass me.

The Prius problem is they aren't really committed to hypermiling (they don't have to be to still get great fuel economy). They just like to see good indications on the dash so they fake hypermile, but in every damn lane 😡😡😡.

Blah blah blah get it a Golf TDI 😁. It's not fast as a general matter, but it's got around town torque plus you can hoon at all times and still get 30. When you feel like doing a highway experiment 45-50 mpg is not out of the question.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I think the EPA did your experiment, albeit in a more controlled way, haha. The 2018 GTI manual is rated at 25/33. I don't know the specifics of your car but it looks like you're just about there.

As someone who at one point did it.. Using cruise control is not hypermiling. Using cruise control is, as you found out, a pretty good way to get the rated highway mileage.

To put it another way, as a non hypermile-r I'm a perfectly tolerable person to drive behind on the highway. I get in the slow lane, enable cruise control at 65-70 and cruise. I'm not speeding up and I'm not slowing down. So if you want to pass me pass me. If you are happy with the speed I'm going you don't need to worry I'll randomly coast down to 55.

If hypermile-r I'm insufferable 😂. There's no way I would let cruise control stay engaged on even a slight incline. And generally speaking, I'm adjusting my speed based on my anticipation of what's coming up ahead. It's the absolute worst incarnation of momentum driving. So although I'm driving slow the overall speed is inconsistent and unpredictable, unless you are also hypermiling. That being said, I would be in a slow lane and you would likely just pass me.

The Prius problem is they aren't really committed to hypermiling (they don't have to be to still get great fuel economy). They just like to see good indications on the dash so they fake hypermile, but in every damn lane 😡😡😡.

Blah blah blah get it a Golf TDI 😁. It's not fast as a general matter, but it's got around town torque plus you can hoon at all times and still get 30. When you feel like doing a highway experiment 45-50 mpg is not out of the question.
Yeah i had it on most of the time but would turn it off when slowing down and stayed in slower lanes (moved when traffic was slower or faster than me). Basically a computer is more efficient than my foot and eyes lol.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
We have 89 here as an option, what if I got the APR 87 tune and ran 89. :unsure:

(Costco 91 is still cheaper than Chevron 89)

Sounds about right, I did a round trip LA -> SD almost all cruise control ~75mph (10E, 710S, 5S, 805S, 8E, 15N, 10W loop) that got me 34mpg. My normal commute only on the 10 and city driving gets me about 22-23mpg at best.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
We have 89 here as an option, what if I got the APR 87 tune and ran 89. :unsure:

(Costco 91 is still cheaper than Chevron 89)

I've done a fair few dragy runs with mine on the APR 87 tune and quite honestly, there is no discernable difference 87vs93, even - the weather makes much more of an impact (no surprise my best runs have always come in the winter months versus stifling Florida summer). Using anything above 87 is simply octane insurance - if I know I'm going to go out hooning or to the track I'll put a tank of 93 in, but otherwise I'll save the money.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Let me break it down. You can run 87. It'll cost you about 10hp. This car has a very good ecu and has a wide range to adjust itself.

Is that clearer?