GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So... you do want to run 87?

I'm so goddamn confused by this thread and your responses.
I want to run 87 if the car is designed to run 87. I’m not coming on here asking if my car is going to be OK if I run 87 to save five dollars when my car calls for 91.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
87 AKI = 91 RON....87....91...purge it from your memory banks....this isn't the octane number your'e looking for..hahaha

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So the question at had is still the thread title then?

Also though… I personally run 240, 400 and even 800v at times.
IMG_7856.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I heard something about some MK7’s that are supposed to run off 87… to check your fuel tank etc.

Checked mine, it does show 87 but also 91 underneath. From the research I’ve done, in Canada and the US you want to look at the top number, Min (R+M)/2 87.

Is that correct? I’ve been running 91 for 6 years lol.

The top number correctly read is 87 (R+M)/2,

From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

QUOTE:-

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2

In most countries in Europe and also Australia and New Zealand, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, and Mexico, the headline number is the simple mean or average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. AKI is also sometimes called PON (Pump Octane Number).
END QUOTE

The bottom number correctly read is 91 RON

Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.[7] The compression ratio is varied during the test to challenge the fuel's antiknocking tendency, as an increase in the compression ratio will increase the chances of knocking.
END QUOTE

Basically that sticker is saying the same basic minimum fuel type in two different standards...it is the same fuel!

My German built car (1.4lt engine) stated 91RON minimum....with 95RON stated above it as a normal fuel. Basically use 95RON all the time, but if you have to use 91RON you can do, but with reduced power etc.... Now in the UK we don't have 91RON, the lowest we get is 95RON (standard unleaded in UK), but 91RON is a cheap grade fuel which shows up in certain European countries, so the car is factory tuned for all the fuels.

I always used 98RON (Super unleaded Shell Vpower/Optimax) & had the car Revo stage 1-B tuned. The "B" representing the timing has been advanced for the car to run on 98RON all the time, but can run as an emergency on 95RON fuel...This is how the Golf "R" is tuned from factory....

Shell Vpower/Optimax is actually 99RON in UK which is 93AKI(R+M)/2 or 87MON....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

From

In most countries in Europe and also Australia and New Zealand, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, and Mexico, the headline number is the simple mean or average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. AKI is also sometimes called PON (Pump Octane Number).
END QUOTE

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.[7] The compression ratio is varied during the test to challenge the fuel's antiknocking tendency, as an increase in the compression ratio will increase the chances of knocking.
END QUOTE

Basically that sticker is saying the same basic minimum fuel type in two different standards...it is the same fuel!

My German built car (1.4lt engine) stated 91RON minimum....with 95RON stated above it as a normal fuel. Basically use 95RON all the time, but if you have to use 91RON you can do, but with reduced power etc.... Now in the UK we don't have 91RON, the lowest we get is 95RON (standard unleaded in UK), but 91RON is a cheap grade fuel which shows up in certain European countries, so the car is factory tuned for all the fuels.

I always used 98RON (Super unleaded Shell Vpower/Optimax) & had the car Revo stage 1-B tuned. The "B" representing the timing has been advanced for the car to run on 98RON all the time, but can run as an emergency on 95RON fuel...This is how the Golf "R" is tuned from factory....

Interesting. Would you happen to know how I can retrofit a different sticker?

🤣

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI

From

END QUOTE

END QUOTE

Interesting.. so now I have 2 conflicting comments with sources.

One person said that the sticker means 87 octane, now yours says 91… hmmmmmm….

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
To the OP, earlier models of the MK7 GTI specified 91, as does the fuel door on my 2015.
I've always run, and will continue to run 91.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
Interesting.. so now I have 2 conflicting comments with sources.

One person said that the sticker means 87 octane, now yours says 91… hmmmmmm….
That’s not what they’re saying.

TLDR: There are two different octane measures: one used in the US and Canada and another used in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. If you‘re buying gas in the former, it should be a minimum of 87 octane as shown on the pump while in the latter, it should be a minimum of 91 octane on the pump. IOW, 87 in NA = 91 in Europe.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
What about Mexican GTI's, what do they run?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Quit fucking around...
20231006_195841.jpg