GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Came back to HPA to get the oil leak I've been chasing looked at again. Turns out the turbo's on it's way out: oil's leaking from the cartridge + oil return line. It's still drivable, and making full power but cannot track it without risking a complete failure.

Going to deal with it when the engine's out of the car so labour should be cheap. Unfortunately that puts the final nail in the coffin for any track days until the swap is complete.

My Verkline bits have arrived though, and the Seibon hood should as well shortly. The pile of parts grows..

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Oh N0S, not T3H TRUB0.

HPA can’t claim 100% reliability anymore. Sorry dude.
40+ track days though. I can say with confidence that it owes me nothing at this stage.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
So HPA did the official global announce/reveal at the Brats ‘n Bavaria German car show today. I was really lucky in being invited to it so I could see just how excited people were getting for this. It’s really getting close now, and starting to tentatively plan some late-summer events in anticipation of this thing getting done.

HPA just shared some R&D pics, and you can see a familiar mug chatting with Marcel over the prototype in the final pic!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct7plLJv04D/

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
How can they not invite you? It is your car correct?
The R&D car, #1, is another persons. Mine’s #2 in line after this. Literally just waiting on a few technical details to wrap up before we can get it going. I daily drive my car, and need it, so with the requriements of having the car 100% there until it’s done was not something I could accommodate.

I can guarantee you though, I’ll be the first one to really push this engine and platform at the track the moment it rolls out of their shop.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
The R&D car, #1, is another persons. Mine’s #2 in line after this. Literally just waiting on a few technical details to wrap up before we can get it going. I daily drive my car, and need it, so with the requriements of having the car 100% there until it’s done was not something I could accommodate.

I can guarantee you though, I’ll be the first one to really push this engine and platform at the track the moment it rolls out of their shop.
Damn this whole time I thought it was your car they were developing on!

Kind of crazy two white R's with the same wheels getting the same swap!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Damn this whole time I thought it was your car they were developing on!

Kind of crazy two white R's with the same wheels getting the same swap!
Yeah it’s kind of uncanny we converged like that. I guess I also didn’t do a good job of making that clear in my posts too but hey, it nets out with some wicked cars hitting the street soon all the same!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why does the spool up sound sluggish. What's the boost threshold

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Why does the spool up sound sluggish. What's the boost threshold
There’s actually nothing sluggish about this thing: it revs as fast and freely as RB and JZ engines. As for boost threshold and other hard data points I cannot comment on it but if you ask @Jonathan_HPA nicely enough maybe he can share.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Did I read that correctly? Only 500hp?
550 i thought. But yeah, I was also disappointed by that number. I'm sure the torque curve is meatier than a hybrid turbo, but still, not the most impressive considering the original engine could do the same.

Now if they start talking about >650hp figures, with a nice torque curve? Sold.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
550 i thought. But yeah, I was also disappointed by that number. I'm sure the torque curve is meatier than a hybrid turbo, but still, not the most impressive considering the original engine could do the same.

Now if they start talking about >650hp figures, with a nice torque curve? Sold.
Yes, 550 hp & tq, and I believe concerns over feeling "this ain't enough" will be addressed in short order.