GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Love to hear it. Congrats

Edit: is it the DPKA 2.5 VRT? All factory hardware (turbo, intercooler, etc)?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Love to hear it. Congrats

Edit: is it the DPKA 2.5 VRT? All factory hardware (turbo, intercooler, etc)?
An impressive amount of this is factory hardware and I can't wait for them to share more. The engine bay looks like it same from Wolfsburg. With some added flair of course.

Turbo is a beefed up hybrid OEM that came with the engine. Intercooler is in house because it needs to support a massive amount of horsepower.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Yes, it's the 2.5L VR6 turbo engine. I don't want to quote dollars or details ahead of their own marketing and media disclosures sadly. They've been such an amazing partner in sharing the journey up to now, all fits starts and delays aside!

So I'm going ask another dumb question that probably also has it's answer in the title: what is the trans and rest of the drive train?

When can we see under hood pictures? And when do you get it back?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
So I'm going ask another dumb question that probably also has it's answer in the title: what is the trans and rest of the drive train?

When can we see under hood pictures? And when do you get it back?
Factory drivetrain/transmission, thoughtfully beefed up to support the power.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
That looks like a 6 cyl, but all the info says 4 cyl
Yeah strange listing. Though it's the bare block and missing all the dressings: ECU, manifolds, wiring harnesses, turbo, coolant lines, you name it. You can't buy many of these parts outside of China unless you have inroads built to open up access.
Have you guys seen this 2.5t vr6 build?
I saw this guy post R&D photos on facebook but then they were removed and I never saw anything of it again. Very cool!

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Yeah strange listing. Though it's the bare block and missing all the dressings: ECU, manifolds, wiring harnesses, turbo, coolant lines, you name it. You can't buy many of these parts outside of China unless you have inroads built to open up access.

I saw this guy post R&D photos on facebook but then they were removed and I never saw anything of it again. Very cool!
When are they going to release pricing?

Expecting my dreams to be crushed, but that's better so I stop dreaming about it.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
this one has a selection :unsure:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-quality-DPKA-2-5T-engine_1600824071668.html

must be the high quality.

but fr, this swap looks sick. hope it's affordable given the lower block costs. and that parts availability isn't an issue (i'm sure HPA is loving the markup on chinese-market parts).

I get they’re gonna mark up the shit outta it. I’m sure it’s labor intensive and they gotta be paid for the research they put in.

More respectable than buying out rights to sell something in a country IMO

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
When are they going to release pricing?

Expecting my dreams to be crushed, but that's better so I stop dreaming about it.
In terms of price it's not out of the realm of possibility to buy a 2019 R, pay for the swap and still come in under what some MK8 Rs are selling for (especially with how outlandish they are in Canada atm).

but fr, this swap looks sick. hope it's affordable given the lower block costs. and that parts availability isn't an issue (i'm sure HPA is loving the markup on chinese-market parts).
Thanks, and yes there's over 100 hours of labour built into the price and is a very large chunk of what I paid. When more details come out you'll see how much in house fab and engineering went into making it work, and be OEM quality. Hoping they share some of the super cool behinds the scenes pics I've been lucky enough to see.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I get they’re gonna mark up the shit outta it. I’m sure it’s labor intensive and they gotta be paid for the research they put in.

More respectable than buying out rights to sell something in a country IMO
well, thankfully that's probably not an option here since most of it is probably off the shelf OE chinese-market parts. I'm sure most of the effort here is ECU + wiring work. I would assume he's been swapped to a bosch ECU?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
In terms of price it's not out of the realm of possibility to buy a 2019 R, pay for the swap and still come in under what some MK8 Rs are selling for (especially with how outlandish they are in Canada atm).

Thanks, and yes there's over 100 hours of labour built into the price and is a very large chunk of what I paid. When more details come out you'll see how much in house fab and engineering went into making it work, and be OEM quality. Hoping they share some of the super cool behinds the scenes pics I've been lucky enough to see.
Any idea on when they're going to release pricing?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
well, thankfully that's probably not an option here since most of it is probably off the shelf OE chinese-market parts. I'm sure most of the effort here is ECU + wiring work. I would assume he's been swapped to a bosch ECU?
They're remapping the OE ECU for the 2.5 and will be fully married to all modules in the car and error code free.

Any idea on when they're going to release pricing?
Their schedule for releases/disclosure is not something I am privy to sorry.