GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

carbongmk7

Ready to race!
Recently I removed mine. There is no need to remove anything you can get this spring off and out with needle nose pylers and nothing else.

Just adding to the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Just did this, took about 5 seconds using only my hands. I did take the time to look up and see where it connected up top just in case I want to reverse it.

We will see how it feels in the morning.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I wonder how much pressure this spring applies to the master and slave cylinders, and if it accounts for any reduced holding capacity of the clutch.

DSG owner. Just thinking out loud.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
totally doing this today when i get home!

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
No brainer M6 mod. I'm sure reducing/slowing clutch pedal engagement is not helpful for clutch longevity. I guess when your trying to make all types of buyers happy, sacrifices have to be made somewhere. Lol.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Just did this on mine, will report back how it worked out. Literally took 2 minutes. Thank you OP!

I do have a DIY clutch stop, Boomba racing short shifter, and 034 motorsport's dog bone insert so they all should go together well.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Ok just took it out for a drive and i'm loving this free mod! I'm not sure how to put it but there is a difference and shifting/ clutch engagement feels improved. I was waiting to remove the clutch delay valve to see if this spring mod would fix the vague feeling in the clutch that makes me lug it sometimes and i'm glad I did because this mod makes the clutch feel like how it should!

The pedal defiantly stays closer to my foot while in movement which I like a lot and it takes away that weird hesitation I had before that seemed to come and go (some days the clutch felt great, others it felt like the grabbing point had changed). Now the clutch feels more consistent and downshifting is a blast! Still have to test it on the highway but with the clutch stop and short shifter is feels fantastic. I don't i'll be putting it back to stock lol

I highly recommend this along with mostly everyone on this thread. Best part is that it takes 2 minutes and if you don't like it, BAM! its back to stock :)

Thank you once again OP!!

themyst

Ready to race!
Having driven with some heavy ass MT clutches (toyota clutches are notoriously stiff) in my day, would not wanna add stiffness :) I'm also 37, my knees hurt a bit more than they do when i was 20.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Having driven with some heavy ass MT clutches (toyota clutches are notoriously stiff) in my day, would not wanna add stiffness :) I'm also 37, my knees hurt a bit more than they do when i was 20.

To be honest I didn't notice any added stiffness, it might just be me though lol

I also have a 93 Toyota MR2 with a stage 2 clutch and light weight flywheel and its no where near as stiff :)

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
My Honda Fit had a stiffer clutch than my GTI with all the clutch mods done lol

xl1200r

Ready to race!
Its pretty fucked up that this many things need to be done for people to actually like their MTs. This all prolly cost you more than a DSG + TCU tune would've. Obviously that's less "engaging," but as an MT owner who's experiencing cognitive dissonance, this just adds more fuel to my fire
You have to figure the cost of the DSG, the tune and the servicing it needs every 40kmi. You're well over $2,000 with just one service.

The delay valve and spring removal are free, shift bushings and SSK can be had for under $100. A new clutch, if you haven't fried your flywheel, can be installed for around $1,000. You don't need to do or spend as much as some do, and at the end of the day you have the option to make the shift feel more engaged with the MT. No amount of money will do that for the DSG.

Great stuff Bravo Mike!! Always wondered what kept the pedal from returning quickly during fast shifts. Will do the mod & report; thanks!!!!

Make sure you remove the delay valve - this probably has a bigger effect.

i think i stumbled upon gold here. might not even wait until i get home and do this in the parking lot after work lol

Hell, I'm going to go it right now! I'm not even waiting for my lunch break.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
I just did this and can comfirm the pedal follows your foot when engaging the clutch much better. If you are unhappy with sloppy engagement points give it a try. I took my tdi out for its weekly jog before it goes back in Feb and it feels way better than that pedal as well even though the throw on the tdi clutch pedal is shorter... Would of that it would of been the other way around

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk