GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

njavier03

Ready to race!
So I did this little mod as soon as I got into to the parking lot and it took all of 30 seconds. I wouldn't say that it's a night and day difference either, but the engagement point is much more obvious. I would say that the pedal is slightly heavier, but that could be just bc the engagement is more pronounced. All in all this a is a great mod and I recommend it to anyone that wants to get rid of the vague clutch feeling.

I currently have the ECS end link bushings, euro spec short shifter, completed the CDV mod, and 2 washers on the BMS clutch stop. This is a perfect set up IMO. Not too overly done, close to stock, but a lot more precise and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I currently have the ECS end link bushings, euro spec short shifter, completed the CDV mod, and 2 washers on the BMS clutch stop. This is a perfect set up IMO. Not too overly done, close to stock, but a lot more precise and clean.

You and i have done almost the exact same thing. Do you have a dogbone insert? If not, i strongly suggest it. Either CTS or 034's Aluminum Inserts

njavier03

Ready to race!
You and i have done almost the exact same thing. Do you have a dogbone insert? If not, i strongly suggest it. Either CTS or 034's Aluminum Inserts

nope, no dogbone insert yet. i'm debating on getting the 034 in the future. i've read mixed reviews, so its not that high on my mods list. i did just install the slammer shiftknob by raceseng. the knob sits lower than stock and the added weight makes shifting more effortless.

16GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I just pulled the clutch return spring out of mine based on y'alls feedback in here. I'll check it out during tomorrow's commute. I've also replaced the oem block with the ECS bleeder block, got the APR short shift kit set super short, and the BMS clutch stop with one spacer removed and one large and one small washer added so it's just a hair shorter than with three spacers in, and 42DD shift bushings. Shifts are literally like short clicks, no rubbery feel at all. 1st gear? Click. 2nd gear? Click. Click click click.

Thanks for posting this BravoMike.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Pulled the spring by hand, very easy.

Effect is very noticeable to me, in city driving where clutch actuation more closely follows foot inputs, but especially in "rallye stages" while shifting fast: the clutch mechanisms is no longer held back by that silly spring and can clamp more quickly.

Thank you very much BravoMike for this awesome free mod.

Note: imho clutch pedal actuation is now less assisted/damped/filtered and so may not be to everyone's taste (as is the case with delay valve removal, hydraulic line replacement, shifter bushing replacement etc.) ymmv

808MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Pulled the spring by hand, very easy.

Effect is very noticeable to me, in city driving where clutch actuation more closely follows foot inputs, but especially in "rallye stages" while shifting fast: the clutch mechanisms is no longer held back by that silly spring and can clamp more quickly.

Thank you very much BravoMike for this awesome free mod.

Note: imho clutch pedal actuation is now less assisted/damped/filtered and so may not be to everyone's taste (as is the case with delay valve removal, hydraulic line replacement, shifter bushing replacement etc.) ymmv

I'm sorry if you've already posted to this effect, but the spring removal is a wonderful plus. Add a BM (or whatever brand/type floats you), clutch stop (I'm running a BM w/all 3 washers, but that's your pref), and all's golden! The delay valve may be next, but I'm extremely happy with my current. Rev On!

16GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry if you've already posted to this effect, but the spring removal is a wonderful plus. Add a BM (or whatever brand/type floats you), clutch stop (I'm running a BM w/all 3 washers, but that's your pref), and all's golden! The delay valve may be next, but I'm extremely happy with my current. Rev On!

The delay valve removal is a great add, too. Makes clutch engagement as smooth as your foot, no artificial engagement point or delay. I highly recommend the delay removal, too. With all of these clutch mods, all almost no cost (I replaced the oem bleeder block with ECS so there was cost there), it is so smooth and responsive.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I am going to try this spring removal too. I have deleted bleeder block diaphragm and clutch operation improved greatly. Ordered clutch pedal stop today as well to give that a try.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
I am going to try this spring removal too. I have deleted bleeder block diaphragm and clutch operation improved greatly. Ordered clutch pedal stop today as well to give that a try.

Tool reference?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Which tool you asking about?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol didn't even notice his name :D

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting: I just checked under my pedal and this spring isn't there (Just like with the bleeder valve delete). I found the mounting points but no spring. I always thought that my clutch felt WAY better than the GTI's clutch, and I guess this is just another reason why. It's weird that so many "comfort/assist" items exist for the GTI's clutch but not for the base golf's (At least mine, maybe I got lucky).

You're right about the 5MT's not having this clutch assist spring

But you're sorely mistaken if you think your 1.8 5MT didn't come with a clutch delay valve from factory..

That is interesting. Are you saying the diaphragm in the bleeder block wasn't there either?

There's a simple answer to this.

1. The bleeder block is specifically designed to prevent driveline shock from hard-quick shifting. This is not needed in a less powerful Golf.

2. The clutch assist spring is needed with a stiff clutch. The GTI has a uprated pressure plate I.E. it's physically going to be stiffer, therefore VW decided it needed an assist spring.