GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

f&$#$K^K !!! NAILS three in 3 months

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Just need to vent. Two not repairable, so had to buy an entire new set of conti extreme contacts, as oem a/s where shite anyway.

Since getting my new tires, which i had to replace cos of a 'you guessed it a nail' i've rec'd TWO new nails in my tires. one unrepairable and the other patched. I hate with a passion taking my car to somewhere non-vw, as they really seem to struggle on how to put on a f'ing wheel that doesn't have protruding studs. I actually had to step in and hold the wheel for him, and used my own wheel hanging tool for him. He was oh never seen one of those before. Then the jack ass went in with an impact to get the bolts ON !! and nearly dropped my spacer that i warned him twice about (don't forget its loose on there!!!!) , Then they scrape the bottom of the car as the ramp was a little too high, and i'm only on VWRs.. So must of scraped it getting it on.. Oh not to mention he couldn't drive a manual so had to get his fat greasy coworker in with his fuckin black greasy hands all over my steering wheel and shift knob, who kept stalling anyway... I didn't want to seem like i was breathing down their necks, but you simply can't take your eyes of these yahoos.

Guess next time i do need to take it to the dealer, but then gotta un-mod the car, all cos of a stinkin nail.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I know the pain. I don't trust the generic tire shops. Big-o gouged the inside of one of my then mint Nogaro wheels when they balanced it (after patching). Never going back to them. Whenever I have nails or a single tire related issue, I do whatever I can to remove the tire wheel myself and bring it in. I've been fortunate in the past to have vehicles with either full size spares or an extra family member car to borrow.

Just get these. Problem solved.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
You need another shop. I use Discount Tire & they know what they are doing. Great shop with competent guys working there. I do watch them while they work to make sure it is done to my satisfaction.

PS: Some shops will not touch a car with wheel spacers or a stud conversion.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You need another shop. I use Discount Tire & they know what they are doing. Great shop with competent guys working there. I do watch them while they work to make sure it is done to my satisfaction.

I've had awesome trips my last couple of times to my local Discount Tire as well. Great service all around. I also watch them though haha.

I was up front with them about my spacers when I recently had my new tires installed. They said it was cool as long as the proper length lug bolts were also being used (they are). I watched them look up the stock lug bolt spec and measure mine to compare. They will deny working on your car if you have spacers and not the appropriate length lug bolts.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!

Yeah i bought my tires from Discount tires, which is a problem cos there's no discount tire store near me, so to make a warranty claim, i have to call Continental, who then call around all the local dealers. After finally finding one, they had no clue on what to do. The claim process itself was a pain. Then the getting the car on a ramp, you could of made a comedy short out of it. (if it wasn't your car !!!) not funny watching buffoons messing around with your own car, that's for sure !

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yeah i bought my tires from Discount tires, which is a problem cos there's no discount tire store near me,

Do you have America's Tire? They're the same. Between the two I thought they were nationwide at this point.

Nails suck man. Sorry for your luck.

Also, find another shop. If they keep making mistakes, don't let them touch your car.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I had good luck with Atlantic tire here in N.C, but I do have to admit when I first got the car and took the wheels off, getting the wheel to stay on the hub while putting the bolt in was kinda a pita but after you do it a couple times it’s not a big deal. Does anyone know why they make it like that?

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry about nails.
Best thing is to try and find a shop that will work with you.
A shop that sells custom wheels is a good option.
Just talk to Owner or Manager.
Offer and help to special tools they might need.
Ask if spacers are an issue.

Other option is get own tools to.remove wheel at home and carry affected wheel in to shop only.

Ask them it they can mount and not scratch wheel.
Not just "think they can".
I tell them if they can not do it just let me know before we try.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Where in Deliverance do you live?

You all can flame me all you want, but I have tires repaired or repIaced at a Mercedes dealer. They beat Tirerack's prices because I didn't need to pay for shipping, and they threw in a 2-year road hazard warranty. The A-rating tech asked me how much pressure I carried and what I wanted the wheels torqued to. On top of that, they cleaned all of the glue off from the old weights off the wheels and cleaned the brake dust and dirt off the wheels. You know how hard it is to get a job as a Mercedes tech? Sure, overall they cost me more than TireSuckDisscountUSA but there weren't any Bubbas to deal with. I replace tires every two years, and I get punctures repaired or replaced for free with none of the manufacturer's warranty BS. You get what you pay for, boys. When you're older you might find it's worth paying extra.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
One of the better vents I have heard. We have a comfortable couch and are here for you.

I like Discount Tire; however, they will not install a tire with spacers so I have them throw the spacers in the back and then redo the rears when I get home. However, when it comes to fixing flats and adding air they are great. One of the guys has a lot of VW love so he appreciates my GTI... that is bonus points.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!

You all can flame me all you want, but I have tires repaired or repIaced at a Mercedes dealer. They beat Tirerack's prices because I didn't need to pay for shipping, and they threw in a 2-year road hazard warranty. The A-rating tech asked me how much pressure I carried and what I wanted the wheels torqued to. On top of that, they cleaned all of the glue off from the old weights off the wheels and cleaned the brake dust and dirt off the wheels. You know how hard it is to get a job as a Mercedes tech? Sure, overall they cost me more than TireSuckDisscountUSA but there weren't any Bubbas to deal with. I replace tires every two years, and I get punctures repaired or replaced for free with none of the manufacturer's warranty BS. You get what you pay for, boys. When you're older you might find it's worth paying extra.

I'm smart enough to realize I don't need to take my tires to a MB dealership for proper service. As if the $10/hr lowest level tire/lube tech they have doing tires at a MB dealership is any better than the guy at <insert tire shop> here.

Who are you kidding?

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, I get my tire/wheel work done at the local Audi/Porsche dealer, similar service price (within ~$5) to mount and balance, I have a good relationship with the lead techs and I don't have to deal with the somewhat incompetent VW dealership here. We used to have one or two really good private shops, but they got bought up by the VW dealership's owner and are now his used car lots.

No good indie shops I know of closer than 1.25-1.5 hours away. Anyone in north east Indiana got a recommendation? lol