GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Anyone chime in on what if any issues I'll see running just the upgraded HPFP and not the lpfp also?

Again, I only plan on running pump gas, so e10 blend that Oregon offers.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I guess I am just confused. I thought the responsiveness and transition from average driving to big torque was IS20 > IS38 > EQT. I also thought if a turbo was capable of 550hp with 100% effort and fueling, it wouldn't be able to respond as quickly to power requests as one that maxed out at 450hp.

You are correct in most cases. This EQT unit is a bit different - it responds marginally slower than the IS38, but produces massively more top-end. Usually when you have a monster turbo it takes a lot of time to get it fully spooled - BOSS600 is a good example of this, hitting full boost at like 4000-4500 rpm.

IS20 has the most initial grunt for sure, but the spool difference between IS38 and EQT is not super noticeable in daily driving. You also don't really need to hit big boost below 3k rpm anyway, as you're shifting into the 4300-4700 range during pulls most of the time.

pieguy

Ready to race!
You are correct in most cases. This EQT unit is a bit different - it responds marginally slower than the IS38, but produces massively more top-end. Usually when you have a monster turbo it takes a lot of time to get it fully spooled - BOSS600 is a good example of this, hitting full boost at like 4000-4500 rpm.

IS20 has the most initial grunt for sure, but the spool difference between IS38 and EQT is not super noticeable in daily driving. You also don't really need to hit big boost below 3k rpm anyway, as you're shifting into the 4300-4700 range during pulls most of the time.

It's slower than that actually. 4700 in 4th @ 32psi. Not a daily driver turbo for sure. EQT is like 3000 @ 27psi and an EFR is like 3300 @ 34psi.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
No issues. Just have to be cognizant that you may not be able to go WOT all the way from 0 to 150.

So a kit like this:
http://www.precisionraceworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

Shouldn't be any different on install than replacing a fuel pump/sender in most cars with in tank pumps? Looks easy enough anyway.

edit; read the how-to they have. A little more work than a direct swap, but still pretty simple. hmm.... If I'm in this far, why not go all the way? le sigh. I've gotta think about this.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys, here's an e-tune I'm working on for one of our turbos. This is a 2016 Golf R on 93 Octane with all major bolt-ons and of course our EQT Vortex turbo. This car is making some really nice power for pump gas!

Thanks
-- Ed

Attachments

• datalog 18.jpg
    datalog 18.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,568

pieguy

Ready to race!

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, here's an e-tune I'm working on for one of our turbos. This is a 2016 Golf R on 93 Octane with all major bolt-ons and of course our EQT Vortex turbo. This car is making some really nice power for pump gas!

Thanks
-- Ed

That torque curve is flipping gorgeous. What fueling upgrades does that car have, if any?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
That torque curve is flipping gorgeous. What fueling upgrades does that car have, if any?

This car has both HPFP and LPFP upgrades. Though a HPFP on its own would be plenty for this.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
why so rich up top?

Tuning style I guess. I generally run them richer as long as they don't lose power. Keeps things cooler, more consistent, and more reliable. Especially on pump gas, I don't see any benefit in tuning these motors lean on the top end.

BTW, I love that 11.7:1 is considered rich on pump gas with 28psi of boost :D

Thanks
-- Ed

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Tuning style I guess. I generally run them richer as long as they don't lose power. Keeps things cooler, more consistent, and more reliable. Especially on pump gas, I don't see any benefit in tuning these motors lean on the top end.

BTW, I love that 11.7:1 is considered rich on pump gas with 28psi of boost :D

Thanks
-- Ed

oops. thats my bad. i was looking at the boost line. i thought you were in the single digit afr up top.