GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
So injector pulsewidth and fuel pump pressure show nothing? Interesting.

Just curious, what kind of pulsewidth do you see? >9?
Rail pressure looks ok. No dips, and fluctuates between 201 and 197. Same as when I was on is38 running high E blends.

Pulsewidth hovers in the mid/high 7's up top.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
OBD11 & AP?

Only one OBD port, which I can have OBD11, ED tool, or JB4 plugged in to. None of those will log fueling/timing/corrections/boost and misfires at the same time. Well maybe OBD11 would but IIRC its logging is pretty sluggish, and I know it's ugly and would require a pain in the ass amount of work to setup all the params like JB4 or ED do on their own. Cobb AP may be able to do both, no experience with it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Only one OBD port, which I can have OBD11, ED tool, or JB4 plugged in to. None of those will log fueling/timing/corrections/boost and misfires at the same time. Well maybe OBD11 would but IIRC its logging is pretty sluggish, and I know it's ugly and would require a pain in the ass amount of work to setup all the params like JB4 or ED do on their own. Cobb AP may be able to do both, no experience with it.

Don't quote me on this but I think AP can because they have a shit ton of parameters that it can log.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
My rail pressure was good as well as pulse width, we even tried expanding the pulse window 1% but didnt change anything. I haven't been able to do e30 :(

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Honestly with our standard production exhaust housing, our turbo spools at least as well as the LM450. I only have one data sample with that turbo, but in that car it actually spooled about 300RPM slower compared to our EQT on similar cars and setups. Full boost bellow 3000RPM is about as fast as I'd want to see any aftermarket option spool, so I don't think we'll be making anything smaller. The Littco IS38x is a good option for guys wanting to go with an IS38 size turbo and are concerned about OEM IS38 reliability. The next step up is our Vortex turbo and there really isn't enough room in between to warrant another turbo option.

Thanks
-- Ed

I think we're talking about different turbos. I was referencing the PnP LM440 IS20 which makes full torque around 2.8k. There isn't anything like this sold state side.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I think we're talking about different turbos. I was referencing the PnP LM440 IS20 which makes full torque around 2.8k. There isn't anything like this sold state side.

You can make peak torque whenever you want after the turbo has hit full spool. I'm seeing 28psi at just under 3k RPM on this EQT, so technically I could make peak torque right there through control of other parameters.

Do you really need a bunch of power under 3k?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
You can make peak torque whenever you want after the turbo has hit full spool. I'm seeing 28psi at just under 3k RPM on this EQT, so technically I could make peak torque right there through control of other parameters.

Nope

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Are there any downsides to upgraded fueling? Reliability issues down the road? Leaking aftermarket pumps? Or is it generally just an overall positive? Have no experience messing with this.

As someone who plans to keep the GTI as my daily for a long time, I have seen the impressive shit Ed's turbo can do but have no aspirations of setting records or further increasing the risk of going kaboom. I want a nice compromise between reliability and roll killing some cars I should have no business hanging with....so maybe low 400whp range?

I'd go down the path of upgraded fueling if needed but wonder if any of you EQT guys have any insight on this given my goals.....or am I being a pussy and should just go MPI when Cobb support comes around after I throw on the turbo and crank that shit up?? lol

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

I guess I am just confused. I thought the responsiveness and transition from average driving to big torque was IS20 > IS38 > EQT. I also thought if a turbo was capable of 550hp with 100% effort and fueling, it wouldn't be able to respond as quickly to power requests as one that maxed out at 450hp.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Are there any downsides to upgraded fueling? Reliability issues down the road? Leaking aftermarket pumps? Or is it generally just an overall positive? Have no experience messing with this.

As someone who plans to keep the GTI as my daily for a long time, I have seen the impressive shit Ed's turbo can do but have no aspirations of setting records or further increasing the risk of going kaboom. I want a nice compromise between reliability and roll killing some cars I should have no business hanging with....so maybe low 400whp range?

I'd go down the path of upgraded fueling if needed but wonder if any of you EQT guys have any insight on this given my goals.....or am I being a pussy and should just go MPI when Cobb support comes around after I throw on the turbo and crank that shit up?? lol
You can make a little over 400whp with stock fueling. If you did hpfp/lpfp and run a eblend you can make close to 500whp, I have hpfp/lpfp and made 436whp on 91 pump

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
My rail pressure was good as well as pulse width, we even tried expanding the pulse window 1% but didnt change anything. I haven't been able to do e30 :(

Cobb doesn't have MPI support yet but I guess one good thing are tuners are able to adjust more fueling parameters so a little higher blend ethanol can be done.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
You can make a little over 400whp with stock fueling. If you did hpfp/lpfp and run a eblend you can make close to 500whp, I have hpfp/lpfp and made 436whp on 91 pump

Wow, that's solid.

The higher end of what this turbo can do doesn't matter much to me as opposed to spool + some ounce of reliability for the turbo itself, engine, and supporting mods.

Just wondering if upgraded fuel pumps tend to cause issues down the road more so than the OEM units....if its even possible to know at this stage.

I'll trust Ed with the tune. I understand the risks involved with tuning to any degree but if those risks aren't significantly increased from pushing up from, say, 400whp to 450whp on similar wtq, than I may be more inclined to upgrade fueling to get more out of it. I won't due so if these pumps are known to cause more headaches down the road.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
If it matters any, I've had a walbro LPFP in for a little over a year with no issue.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Wow, that's solid.

The higher end of what this turbo can do doesn't matter much to me as opposed to spool + some ounce of reliability for the turbo itself, engine, and supporting mods.

Just wondering if upgraded fuel pumps tend to cause issues down the road more so than the OEM units....if its even possible to know at this stage.

I'll trust Ed with the tune. I understand the risks involved with tuning to any degree but if those risks aren't significantly increased from pushing up from, say, 400whp to 450whp on similar wtq, than I may be more inclined to upgrade fueling to get more out of it. I won't due so if these pumps are known to cause more headaches down the road.
There are a lot of people running these pumps with no issues.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
If it matters any, I've had a walbro LPFP in for a little over a year with no issue.

I had one on my old I integra and used to love the fuel priming sound it made....still do that before start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk