GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Can I run the Autotech HPFP on my OTS EQT Stage 2 tune without causing issues? I know I wouldn't get any "benefit" from it, but with plans to upgrade the turbo this fall (and a custom tune at that point), I'm looking at starting my shopping soon. Wouldn't mind putting on the HPFP before the turbo just to make sure it's working properly and I didn't mess up the install. But don't want to do that if it will mess with the tune or not run properly.
It'll be fine. I would go MPI though having done HPFP first and the having to go MPI anyways.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can I run the Autotech HPFP on my OTS EQT Stage 2 tune without causing issues? I know I wouldn't get any "benefit" from it, but with plans to upgrade the turbo this fall (and a custom tune at that point), I'm looking at starting my shopping soon. Wouldn't mind putting on the HPFP before the turbo just to make sure it's working properly and I didn't mess up the install. But don't want to do that if it will mess with the tune or not run properly.

Ask EQT. I'm pretty sure the tune has to be for the HPFP but I haven't used an OTS tune from EQT. Only custom and whether you have a HPFP is one of the questions they ask for tuning it.
Correct. You'd need to do an option change ($75) to get a new map to accommodate the HPFP.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It'll be fine. I would go MPI though having done HPFP first and the having to go MPI anyways.

MPI is more involved than I want, and overkill for what I'm trying to achieve. This is just going to run pump 93 as I have no easy access to corn.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Then why bother with the Autotech hpfp? You don't need it for 93

Pretty sure EQT won't tune their Vortex \ Vortex XL's without a HPFP anymore. But I could be misremembering.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
He has OTS Stage 2, 93 octane tune. So no need for a HPFP

I know an OTS Stage 2 93 octane tune has no need for a HPFP. But with plans to grab a Vortex during their boost weather sale, I'd need one at that point. The question was mainly to figured out if putting on the HPFP in the interim would mess with anything.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just throwing this out there for others who may be in a similar situation. I did end up reaching out to EQT and here is what I got.

1633701143567.png

1633701172102.png

So while I'm sure it would be fine like @Diggs24 said, they do recommend the $75 tune change like @CaptainRatty said.

In the grand scheme of things, with the Vortex + custom tune + HPFP coming in at just over $3k, $75 is a drop in the bucket to ensure things are running smoothly.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I'm planning on buying an AP and a stage 1 EQT tune in Nov. I have good access to 93 octane, but I would like more flexibility for travel, etc. Will the ECU advance the timing automatically if you run 93 octane on a 91 tune or am I leaving power on the table?

Also, are the RS7 NGK spark plugs gapped @ 0.024" still recommended once tuned? It's listed in EQT's FAQ, but I wanted to see if that is still the consensus. Thanks!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm planning on buying an AP and a stage 1 EQT tune in Nov. I have good access to 93 octane, but I would like more flexibility for travel, etc. Will the ECU advance the timing automatically if you run 93 octane on a 91 tune or am I leaving power on the table?

Also, are the RS7 NGK spark plugs gapped @ 0.024" still recommended once tuned? It's listed in EQT's FAQ, but I wanted to see if that is still the consensus. Thanks!
My understanding is that SIMOS 18 will learn down (though I would not recommend it) but it does not do learn up for octane.

NGK RS7 @.024" are still the recommended plugs. Don't use anti-sieze, use a proper gap tool, and use the proper torque spec.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I run 93 octane with a 91 oct stg 1 tune. I seriously doubt you will feel the difference. I do it to reduce chances of detonation on track and to keep the car driveable on 91 Oct for when I go on trips.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I run 93 octane with a 91 oct stg 1 tune. I seriously doubt you will feel the difference. I do it to reduce chances of detonation on track and to keep the car driveable on 91 Oct for when I go on trips.
Makes sense. Ideally, the tune should be pulled back enough where you can run 93 oct on a 93 tune and it just work 90% of the time, but pushing more power on mostly stock hardware, a tuner having to put up good power numbers, yada yada...
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably do a 91 tune and just have the additional peace of mind/reliability.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you feel like you have to run 93 on your 91 tune, you need a new 91 tune.

Or...others would rather have a slightly more conservative tune, because they want to be able to drive to another state without having to reflash the car, or drive on track, so their car sees more extreme conditions.

It's a pretty simple concept.