GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@Ed @ EQT I read through your FAQs but didn’t seem to find an answer. My situation is this: bought my car used. Found that it was at some point tuned by IE. It was ECU and TCU tuned. I’m pretty sure the previous owner returned the ECU to stock, but left the TCU in, judging by the individual gear reading in the MFD. If I go with one of your tunes do I need to get an IE power link, retune the the TCU back to stock then load yours? Thanks.
Ed doesn't come in here very often. You would be better off emailing him directly at

ed@eqtuning.com

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
Fair enough. I’m not in a rush either way. Still in the info gathering stage. Thanks for the heads up though.
@Ed @ EQT I read through your FAQs but didn’t seem to find an answer. My situation is this: bought my car used. Found that it was at some point tuned by IE. It was ECU and TCU tuned. I’m pretty sure the previous owner returned the ECU to stock, but left the TCU in, judging by the individual gear reading in the MFD. If I go with one of your tunes do I need to get an IE power link, retune the the TCU back to stock then load yours? Thanks.

Not sure about IE, but I can tell you even when you remove the Cobb TCU tune, you still see the individual gear reading n the MFD.

Obviously YMMV, just an FYI.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
You should be ok flashing over it.

-- Ed

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just one person use case here:

I've flashed over an IE tune (ECU, not TCU) without issue multiple times.
I understand but EQT's use of "should be" isn't encouraging. If it's definitely okay then just say so. Don't hedge your bets by saying "should be okay".

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
I understand but EQT's use of "should be" isn't encouraging. If it's definitely okay then just say so. Don't hedge your bets by saying "should be okay".

Well, im sure he can't say if its okay for certain with every other platform outside of Cobb.

Its a valid response.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, im sure he can't say if its okay for certain with every other platform outside of Cobb.

Its a valid response.
And if it doesn't work and causes problems EQT can always say that they said "should be okay" to protect themselves. Look I agree it will probably be fine but a positive answer was needed from EQT.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
And if it doesn't work and causes problems EQT can always say that they said "should be okay" to protect themselves. Look I agree it will probably be fine but a positive answer was needed from EQT.
I kind of read it that way as well. It sort makes my decision harder. If I need to buy a power link first, I might as well take advantage of the tunes already available for that money.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I think flashing over generally works OK, but I can think of a few potential issues.

- Another tuning platform changes the seed/key algorithm ("tuner lock") and in this case that AP will never be able to flash the ECU. The AP actually does this and you hear guys say dealer tools can't flash the car etc. Ecutek I believe does this, I don't know of any other tunes that do.

- Your car, which should be running box code X, is actually running box code Y (the previous tune cross flashed to a different box code). The AP will detect your vehicle as the wrong vehicle/box code and when it flashes the file to your car, it *could* immo brick the ECU. For example, I know Eurodyne will flash some ROW cars to USA box codes (and tweak some settings in the file so it doesn't immo brick). If the AP detected that car as a USDM car and flashed the standard conROM on it, it would almost certainly immo brick. (ask me how i know about this cross flash immo brick stuff lol)

Almost all tuning platforms crossflash to other USDM box codes (which is OK) or don't change your box code at all, so you won't have this problem.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I kind of read it that way as well. It sort makes my decision harder. If I need to buy a power link first, I might as well take advantage of the tunes already available for that money.
Ed knows his stuff. I think he just probably misspoke when he said it that way. You could call or email Cobb for a definitive answer. It makes sense though that it can just be flashed over because if it didn't have a trans tune now you would just be flashing over the stock DSG tune so it wouldn't be any different for another DSG tune.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Ed knows his stuff. I think he just probably misspoke when he said it that way. You could call or email Cobb for a definitive answer. It makes sense though that it can just be flashed over because if it didn't have a trans tune now you would just be flashing over the stock DSG tune so it wouldn't be any different for another DSG tune.
I have an email out to IE to see if the display in the MFD is a definitive clue to the flash state of the TCU. Maybe they can shed some light on it for me. Until then I’m still on the lookout for a used powerlink.