GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys, I figured I'd start a fresh thread for any questions and info regarding our ECU and TCU E-Tuning and base map services. I launched these options on our website less than a month ago and we have already processed over 50 base map and e-tune orders. The response has been amazing and I'm excited to get more VW's dialed in perfectly.

If you have any questions, comments, reviews, suggestions, etc, this is the place for them.

We currently offer base map tunes for basic stage 1/2 cars, full custom e-tunes for anything you guys come up with, and DSG base map tunes for stage 1/2/3 cars.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hi Ed,

Can you provide any estimates on what customers should expect with regards to the number of iterations and total turnaround time for a custom tune?

Thanks!

Great question!

Most tunes get done in 4-8 revisions, but I don’t put a cap on that. It’s all about getting things dialed in perfectly. I normally get revisions out within 24 hours of receiving logs, sometimes within 12 hours. Occasionally longer over weekend or holidays, but very rarely. And if I’m bored in my off time, you may see a revision within an hour of sending in logs.

Overall tune turnaround greatly depends on how quickly I get logs.

Thanks
— Ed

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
Regarding your TCU tune, can you customize it to a customer's wants (shift points for example)? Are you planning to offer a TCU tune for the 7 speed DSG if/when Cobb supports it?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Subscribed!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Regarding your TCU tune, can you customize it to a customer's wants (shift points for example)? Are you planning to offer a TCU tune for the 7 speed DSG if/when Cobb supports it?

I can customize TCU tunes, but I haven’t worked out a pricing structure for that. It would also be tough to customize part throttle shift schedules because it’s very subjective and takes a lot of coordination of upshift/downshift points to get things right. I doubt it would be a successful process without testing and fine tuning in person. WOT shift points and launch control settings could be customized effectively, however. I’ll have to give this some thought and come up with potential pricing.

I will absolutely support the 7 speed TCU as soon as Cobb releases support. They’re currently hard at work on MPI, so I’m not bugging them about anything else for now.

Thanks
— Ed

JS12

Ready to race!
Thanks for answering my first question. I do have one more that I’ve always wondered - for those of us in climates with wild mood swings, what do you recommend to ensure a balance of performance and safety?

Annual ranges in my neck of the woods might be anywhere from 25-110 degrees. Do you recommend separate winter/summer tunes, picking average weather for logging, tuning for lower Octane than what’s available, or some other approach?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Currently UM tuned with pretty-much everything included. If i was to switch to your services, I would need a Cobb AP and would want their MPI released. Anything else? definitely still tempting as i know you do great work.. (so does UM but i think you'd know your turbo limits/behavior better).

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks for answering my first question. I do have one more that I’ve always wondered - for those of us in climates with wild mood swings, what do you recommend to ensure a balance of performance and safety?

Annual ranges in my neck of the woods might be anywhere from 25-110 degrees. Do you recommend separate winter/summer tunes, picking average weather for logging, tuning for lower Octane than what’s available, or some other approach?

Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well. I have a Cobb Etune from a different company and it was fine in winter but once summer came, I was seeing knock retard in the -8 to -9 range constantly. Is it possible for one tune to be good for all weather or are different tunes needed?

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any videos of the pops and crackles? I'm going to do a base tune for my AP and don't know if I should check the box or not

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Ed,

How soon till you are overwhelmed with business and tunes take weeks. ;-)

When that happens will you offer a VIP program? :p

Once the snow stops flying so I can make it over the hill, I'll call you guys and find out a good time to stop by.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I know this is probably mainly for Cobb and you said you were starting to learn Maestro as well but only for local people for now... when do you think you would expand to e tuning for other people not local to you using ED?

I really just don't want to switch tunes lol. Going UM for example I would need to spend 400 for a regular tune, than 600 on top of that for a custom BT tune where as staying w/ED, I just need to buy maestro (187) and then pay you or Frank etc for their services to tune BT.

Sorry for highjack!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Thanks!

I always try to get my tunes set up so they work properly in all varying conditions. The ECU has corrections and compensations for most condition variables. For severe changes in conditions, I would recommend revisiting the tune when the weather changes significantly. A few extra logs and a revisions may be needed to get things really dialed in for year round operation in those cases.

Thanks
--- Ed