GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't buy an IS38...but should I?

roystr

Ready to race!
@billbadass -- Thanks for chiming in. I watched the install saga unfold with your L380. My impression was that on pump gas, you weren't overly satisfied with it and felt that the torque was unexplainably low? On Ed's dyno, most IS20/IS38 turbos are in the 400-420 wtq range. I totally get the "wanting more" though...smarter up front to make a "future proof" decision. I like the Vortex (a lot) but LPFP + MPI seems to be "the way" now? Awhile back Ed said that to run the EQT, all you need (besides the turbo itself) was the HPFP upgrade (which to me seems a shit ton easier AND cheaper than the LPFP + MPI conversion).

$ per HP though the IS38 is still the clear winner (if your goal is 380-400 whp). If your goal is 500 whp, obviously the IS38 can't compete.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I bought my IS38 used, had it installed, and APR tuned for $2400. 360whp, done deal. 6 months ago, I thought I was happy and made the best cost vs. hp decision. At the time, the tuning shop was pushing me to buy a DBV2 instead, which would have been around $4.5k for the turbo, install, and tune. Not to mention any fueling mods and re-tune once installed, at the time, I thought that was too much and didn't suit my needs.

Now, 6 months later, the mod bug has me itching again. I bought a hpfp and ethanol sensor and will have to pay to get re-tuned, and pay more to get a second tune for full e85. I am going to be pushing my stock IS38 and have a fear that it won't be reliable. I'm going to tail of the dragon in April too (8 hours away) with a crew of guys with 400-500whp cars. I'm kicking myself for not just manning up and paying more for a better product.

Is ethanol available around the dragon? If yes, an ethanol tune and a IC should go a long way in helping you keep up with 400-500whp cars in the twisties. I've never been to the dragon, but I don't think it's safe to go speeds where 500whp can actually be used?

Paxtond1

Go Kart Newbie
how much HP is the max people are pulling from a is38 on 93? they seem very attractive at the current rate

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
zero reason to get an oEM is38, if you're going that route

...my concern/question is if you go with either the Littco or Shuenk, is it safe to run an APR is38 tune. For the people with APR tunes, it's not worth switching away from APR financially speaking, so unless it's 100% safe to run this with their tune, I'm going to be running an OEM is38

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
...my concern/question is if you go with either the Littco or Shuenk, is it safe to run an APR is38 tune. For the people with APR tunes, it's not worth switching away from APR financially speaking, so unless it's 100% safe to run this with their tune, I'm going to be running an OEM is38

I started using the Eurodyne IS38 file and didn't have any issues using it with the Shuenk IS38+ turbo. The Shuenk compressor wheel is the same size as the IHI, it's just 7+7 blades vs 6+6. The turbine wheel is no different between the two. I don't know of anything different that would prevent the IS38+ from operating with the APR IS38 tune, the goal of the design was to make the IS38+ a direct swap for an IHI IS38.

Greg -- our Shuenk line of products is tailored for compatibility with existing software. This distinguishes these turbos from our higher-performance brand of FrankenTurbo. We call the products OEM+ because they are simply better, stronger versions of the originals. In the case of our IS38+, the compressor wheel is re-designed to eliminate the compressor surge that affects (and tends to break) the IHI turbo. And we upgraded the turbo's internals to IHI's stronger RHF55 specs. Again, we stuck with IHI's concept, we just transplanted their higher-duty parts.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Greg -- our Shuenk line of products is tailored for compatibility with existing software. This distinguishes these turbos from our higher-performance brand of FrankenTurbo. We call the products OEM+ because they are simply better, stronger versions of the originals. In the case of our IS38+, the compressor wheel is re-designed to eliminate the compressor surge that affects (and tends to break) the IHI turbo. And we upgraded the turbo's internals to IHI's stronger RHF55 specs. Again, we stuck with IHI's concept, we just transplanted their higher-duty parts.

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeah....frankenturbo! I ran your KO4 hybrid back in my B5.5 days.... Solid company and products. Nice to see you in here!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Have you competitively road raced both a FWD and RWD platforms to compare? I've raced seasons in each and can tell you FWD is at a disadvantage.

I don't have time for that shit. I have more important things to do.

You made a douchebag comment instead of helping a guy out that was looking for advice. Yeah, he has a fwd car but so what. Tell him what he can do to improve the handling.

Also, the TCR and CSS is not your average fwd car but I still would prefer to drift a car around some corners than hug them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know what material the wastegate flapper is made of.

From the wastegate values I think it can hold boost, whether my stock fuel pump is adequate and 93 isn't limiting at 28 psi I'm unsure. My first HPFP replacement seems to have had an issue on arrival so the pump is going back for inspection.

No need for HPFP running 93 octane. HPFP isn't necessary until around 420 HP.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
totally agree, I love my car but I also should have just stepped up one notch larger on the turbo side and gone with an EQT turbo instead of this L380x I have today.

Just curious but why not the Littco L450?

Jim -- we've been discussing the fueling system's limits quite a bit in our FB Group. Assuming the Gen3 TSI engine will develop over 400whp on pump gas without knock, you feel the Mk7's fuel pumps can deliver that amount of fuel flow? Again, on just gasoline.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

It's safe but a protune or dyno tune would be better.