GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't buy an IS38...but should I?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Right, because all of the previous issues I had made me want to jump back on that bandwagon!!

Your problem that was on a different car with a different turbo. That leaves the vendor as the only relevant aspect of your complaint. You showed via the lengthy past post you made on a different forum that the vendor maintained communication with you through the troubleshooting process and provided you a new turbo.

You are looking like a guy who is out to tarnish the reputation of the vendor without regard for how the product for this car performs. Is that the goal of your posts?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Your problem that was on a different car with a different turbo. That leaves the vendor as the only relevant aspect of your complaint. You showed via the lengthy past post you made on a different forum that the vendor maintained communication with you through the troubleshooting process and provided you a new turbo.

You are looking like a guy who is out to tarnish the reputation of the vendor without regard for how the product for this car performs. Is that the goal of your posts?

You don’t have to be butthurt because someone is talking down a turbo you bought. Someone made a comment about having their turbo on an mk6, I added that I also did.

It’s also a whole lot more to the story than “he stayed in contact”... wtf is that? That didn’t recover the 1k plus of tests I had to have run on my car because the turbo was built by buying the cheapest Chinese parts possible. I also didn't get a new turbo, it was a rebuilt hot side, sent in a beat up, box, with holes in it, and poorly packaged. It took a month, and remember, there was NO mailbox there, and it almost got sent back. The shipping was also on my dime too.

What makes you think that calling a turbo a different name to avoid a previous bad name makes it any better?

Hey! Here’s a 2 year warranty, because we know the turbo will likely f**k up, so we’ll fix it, and still come out ahead.

I have every right to warn others about previous experiences with the SAME company. Don’t like it? Tough s***.

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
360whp is about all you can put down to the front wheels anyway, I'm not seeing how 500whp GTI's will be any faster at the Dragon. The RX-7 that held the record there for years was 300whp. 500hp Ferraris couldn't catch the guy. If going fast around corners is your thing, you're putting your money in the wrong place. A set of RE71R's, a rear sway, and some negative camber upfront will do wonders.
Have you been to the dragon lately? Bikes have killed it. Police everywhere and if you can find a stretch where you can hit 50 your doing good. Too much traffic in day light and crazies at night.

MyGolfMk7 -- I appreciate you presenting a more complete picture of the other user's complaint about our service. We do make every attempt to satisfy our customers when they encounter issues with our products. In the vast majority of cases we accomplish that goal. In the rare ones we do not, they tend to go to anonymous user forums to post their complaints. This dynamic impacts all vendors, not just us. We all wish the happy majority would post with the same gusto but those people are simply enjoying their cars.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
MyGolfMk7 -- I appreciate you presenting a more complete picture of the other user's complaint about our service. We do make every attempt to satisfy our customers when they encounter issues with our products. In the vast majority of cases we accomplish that goal. In the rare ones we do not, they tend to go to anonymous user forums to post their complaints. This dynamic impacts all vendors, not just us. We all wish the happy majority would post with the same gusto but those people are simply enjoying their cars.

Doug, I’m not an anonymous user. I’ve been on here for quite sometime. All things I’ve stated about my personal experiences have been facts. It’s also a fact that several shops in my area won’t even TOUCH a frankenturbo because of the issues they’ve had.

To add to this, I’m not getting into some stupid back and forth forum war. I’ve shown my facts already and a standard k04 is a better choice on an mk6 platform. I’d never buy your IS38, but hopefully it’s a better offering than your f23 was.

To any considering this current turbo offering, please read before making your selection. https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/frankenturbo-failure.4360/

Please read post #70 https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/frankenturbo-pinned-thread.2933/page-4

Anyone here remember the name on post #22? https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/opinions-on-frankenturbo-f21bi-turbo-upgrade.2831/page-2

Last edited:

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
You don’t have to be butthurt because someone is talking down a turbo you bought. Someone made a comment about having their turbo on an mk6, I added that I also did.

It’s also a whole lot more to the story than “he stayed in contact”... wtf is that? That didn’t recover the 1k plus of tests I had to have run on my car because the turbo was built by buying the cheapest Chinese parts possible.

I doubt very much that you conducted the necessary research to make that determination.

What makes you think that calling a turbo a different name to avoid a previous bad name makes it any better?

Another highly doubtful conclusion and one which contradicts the vendor statement about having multiple product lines targeting OEM replacement and performance options.

Hey! Here’s a 2 year warranty, because we know the turbo will likely f**k up, so we’ll fix it, and still come out ahead.

Another baseless statement.

I have every right to warn others about previous experiences with the SAME company. Don’t like it? Tough s***.

Thank you for the additional comments. The ease with which you are making unsubstantiated negative comments make your intention to smear the vendors products clear. Your willingness to make inaccurate or false statements calls into question the credibility of all that you say, in this thread as well as past posts.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I doubt very much that you conducted the necessary research to make that determination.

Another highly doubtful conclusion and one which contradicts the vendor statement about having multiple product lines targeting OEM replacement and performance options.

Another baseless statement.

Thank you for the additional comments. The ease with which you are making unsubstantiated negative comments make your intention to smear the vendors products clear. Your willingness to make inaccurate or false statements calls into question the credibility of all that you say, in this thread as well as past posts.

Amazing how far people will go to defend a purchase they’ve made! I did it before too. I stuck up for Doug, swore it wasn’t his turbo, and then got screwed over. Here was my repaired turbo box.

Attachments

• 08643524-CC8A-4187-9EEA-F61D9EC1EB83.jpeg
    08643524-CC8A-4187-9EEA-F61D9EC1EB83.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 181

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I know where this thread is heading...

Nope, I’ve posted videos, pictures, and my general experiences with this company. He can test the results on his flow bench, or bullshitometer, or anything he wants. The links alone prove my point. A crook is a crook, and always will be. Good luck with your Chinese glass turbo ??

roystr

Ready to race!
Thanks to DAP for posting this video:

Because they were making a video that would work for FWD and AWD, they did *everything* from above. For us GTI folks, surely some things are easier do from underneath the car?

It's times like this that I miss having a car with the exhaust manifold towards the front of the car!

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Thanks to DAP for posting this video:

Because they were making a video that would work for FWD and AWD, they did *everything* from above. For us GTI folks, surely some things are easier do from underneath the car?

It's times like this that I miss having a car with the exhaust manifold towards the front of the car!

If you have a PP GTI there is basically NOTHING you can do from the bottom. The VAQ is hella in the way.