GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Guide and Review: AKD AliExpress MK7.5 LED Tail Lights for NAR MK7 Golf

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Okay so I've been doing this install a number of times now for other people and here are some additional notes/tips:
1) I would highly recommend buying repinning "keys"/tool from Amazon instead of the sewing needles. The wires will come out on the first try this way and save you time and a lot of swearing.
2) When wiring the driver side reverse light, you will need the repair wire as mentioned in my original post. However, most of the sellers do not sell a wire that is long enough to go from one end to another. You'll need around 150cm of wire to do so. If you cannot find a wire that long, you can instead splice the reverse signal wire that goes to the camera near the rear camera. That way you can use a slightly shorter wire that you can find easily.
3) I would highly recommend buying a panel removal tool with a clip removal tool as well. It makes quick work of removing the tail lights and panels, not to mention the clip removal tool is a lifesaver when those asshole A clips get stuck in the car and you don't want to damage them.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I used 2 SIM card tools but it wasnt ideal, a release tool would have been really nice. Thankfully I only had to do 2 pins per harness on my install.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I would add, if anyone hasnt already, make sure to actually fish those wires through the grommets between the car/hatch door! DO NOT unclip or break the clips that hold those grommets on! I did on mine and it's been leaking ever since. Its amazing. theres no real rubber grommet there to begin with; just the plastic clips, but wow, once they are broken you are in for a world of trouble. It is a pain in the ass to pull/push the wires through (even with the weed trimming line or other things) but it will be worth it!

CaSeCa

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7

Attachments

• 20201005_202932.jpg
    20201005_202932.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 313

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Probably just the AKD lights rebranded.

They're all probably the exact same ones out of a Chinese factory. VLand/Depo/Helix/AKD/Etc...

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
They're all probably the exact same ones out of a Chinese factory. VLand/Depo/Helix/AKD/Etc...
Looks like it for AKD, if you look at the LEFT side inner & outer lights. It is slightly uneven on the signal light between the gap.

Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There are not many light channels left. You could use Leuchte23 for that. Move Inner-Left Pin1 to Pin5. Some coding to Leuchte23 and light switch is necessary, and a proper light switch. To get Parking light back on Inner-Left bridge (as you did with the reverse lights) Leuchte24 (Pin1 Inner-Right) to both Inner Pin1. Does that make sense?

parallax

Ready to race!
There are not many light channels left. You could use Leuchte23 for that. Move Inner-Left Pin1 to Pin5. Some coding to Leuchte23 and light switch is necessary, and a proper light switch. To get Parking light back on Inner-Left bridge (as you did with the reverse lights) Leuchte24 (Pin1 Inner-Right) to both Inner Pin1. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense, I've got a Euro switch already installed and will give this a shot. Thanks for the quick response!

*Edit: What coding is necessary for Leuchte23?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lasttyp 23 to "LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung"
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion A 23 to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt"

parallax

Ready to race!
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lasttyp 23 to "LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung"
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion A 23 to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt"

Thank you very much for all the help. I've got everything wired and coded, but realized that due to my GTI being a Sport model (no fogs), I have to run a trigger wire from the Euro switch to the BCM. I've got one on order, will know you know how it goes after the install. Again, thanks for all you do for virtually every single VW forum.