GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Guide and Review: AKD AliExpress MK7.5 LED Tail Lights for NAR MK7 Golf

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
So the DAP/ECS/BEC tail lights have one main difference. Their BiColor/Side LED pin on the outer tail lights does not turn on the amber turn signal like the AKD Aliexpress ones do. Therefore, If you use their harness, you will always have your ambers on. In addition, they use the driver's side LED on the outer tail light to turn on the DRL for the driver's inner tail lamp. Then they repurpose the original inner drivers DRL for the turn signal and the reverse light for the driver fog.

I have the Mk7 LED lights with the ECS harness. So my ECS plugs will not fit this light? I've seen third party 7.5 lights that claim is PnP with the ECS/DAP style harness.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I have the Mk7 LED lights with the ECS harness. So my ECS plugs will not fit this light? I've seen third party 7.5 lights that claim is PnP with the ECS/DAP style harness.
I forgot that the ECS harness is different than the BEC one. If you plug in the BEC one you will experience what I previously said. You’ll solve it by unplugging pin 4 from the outer tail lights.

I am no sure about the ECS one - do you have a wiring diagram for it?

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I bought a set of these lights and they fit like utter crap, even after trimming to improve the fit. I suppose of you are okay with huge gaps and taillights coliding with each other when the hatch closed then buy them... Or you can buy mine for $50 if you pay shipping...
It fits perfectly fine for me.... if youre ever up in the great white north I can take a look at them for you

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It fits perfectly fine for me.... if youre ever up in the great white north I can take a look at them for you

Went back and forth with the stock lights and these lights 4 times (not a hard install really) The stock ones slot into place perfectly every time while the Aliexpress have a 5mm+ gap on the leading edge of the outer and the inner has a 3-4mm gap under the light to the body. The Aliexpress lights just straight up do not fit, no help to be had.

Last edited:

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Went back and forth with the stock lights and these lights 4 times (not a hard install really) The stock ones slot into place perfectly every time while the Aliexpress have a 5mm+ gap on the leading edge of the outer and the inner has a 3-4mm gap under the light to the body. The Aliexpress lights just straight up do not fit, no help to be had.
Just like the OEM tails, you need to use an Allen key to adjust fitment so it’s correct. The two holes in the black part in the hatch of the outer tail lights have 2 screws in them to adjust spacing (like the OEMs do).

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Curious how are these lights and wiring different from BEC?
I have a set of BEC lights and harness but can't find clear instructions on how to install it and code it properly. Anyone has done BEC lights/harness that can help out?
I have them, I'll Pm the instructions tomorrow if you want.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Just like the OEM tails, you need to use an Allen key to adjust fitment so it’s correct. The two holes in the black part in the hatch of the outer tail lights have 2 screws in them to adjust spacing (like the OEMs do).

Interesting, I will investigate.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well dont I feel like a dummy. I kept looking at those little things and wondering if they did anything... OY!

Lights are on and aligned pretty good. Still not OEM level alignment but not noticeably different. Thank you for the coding instructions, I needed them!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Welp the BEC settings briked my tail lights.... reverting now

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I didn’t use a harness to connect mine, I think it’s unnecessary with these lights. You just need to repin two wires and run an extra wire.

I’ve heard rumors that the headlights are same lights as BEC (or was it Ed? I can’t remember if they’re the same person/company) but I can’t confirm that about the taillights. Do the BEC taillights already have a connector that fits directly for your car or is the connector different/needs to be adapted? (y)
Same, Ed is BEC. I got the OEM 7.5 Tails from him, his harness plugs in , install and coding easy to follow instructions for the MK7. He had different harness for the MK 7.5

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Same, Ed is BEC. I got the OEM 7.5 Tails from him, his harness plugs in , install and coding easy to follow instructions for the MK7. He had different harness for the MK 7.5

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Ed's/BEC lights work with a 7.5, only 7. I haven't seen his with a harness for a 7.5. These AKD ones are the first 7.5 replicas for a 7.5 I've seen.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hey guys, after doing some research, I have manage to successfully install the AKD AliExpress tail lights. This writeup is specifically for the MK7 (halogen) cars that are installing the MK7.5 LED tails (link below). These tail lights are actually really good quality and value for the money in my opinion. The lights are nice, crisp, and bright. Installation took me about an hour. They came packaged very nicely and in my opinion the harness included is much easier to install than the BEC or OEM ones since it is only one wire to work with. Here is my guide below with a wiring diagram included - I hope it helps:
Tools Required:
  • 2x Sewing needles (for repinning)
  • 1x Weed trimmer line (for fishing the harness through)
  • 1x 8mm socket (for the inner tail lights)
  • 1x VCDS or OBD11
  • 1x Brain

STEPS:
  • Step 1) Run the yellow wires included in the box through the trunk and the hatch. Driver outer to Driver inner, Passenger outer to passenger inner. Lots of instructions online - it is actually really easy to do if you do some thinking. For these tail lights, you do not actually need to remove the big cover off the hatch because the harness is small enough to feed through easily!
  • Step 2) On the driver side inner connector, disconnect the purple and black wire from pin 4. You can do this by unclipping the lock at the top of the conector, and then putting 2 sewing needles into the holes on the top and bottom of the connector to unlock the wire. Pull the wire out gently. This will take a few tries.
  • Step 3) Take that wire and put it into hole #3. It will click in. Then press the locking tab back down on the connector. This will disable your driver side reverse light and turn it into the amber signal for the driver side instead.
  • Step 4) On the driver outer tail light, remove the wire going into pin 4 and tape the end of it. You will no longer need it.
  • Step 5) Code your tail lights so that:
    • a) Leuchte27 is your right turn signal;
    • b) Leuchte20 and 21 are no longer your turn signals;
    • c) Leuchte28 is your new left turn signal;
    • d) Leuchte 27 and 28 lasttyp are #35 (blinking LEDs); and,
    • e) Leuchte 20 and 21 are lasttyp #34 (braking LEDs).
  • Step 6 (Optional) ) Run a wire from the right side inner reverse lamp to the left side inner reverse lamp to bridge them. This will turn both of your reverse lamps back on. Use this wire for best results: VW part no. 000979025E
And now you are all done! Stand back and enjoy your work!

Link to the taillights: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32502102227.html
Link to exact coding instructions: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...7-to-7-5-tail-light-issue.364851/post-7470170

Credit to @ZERO815 and @openlog
View attachment 185899

Link to the lights doesn't work.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I could be mistaken, but I don't think Ed's/BEC lights work with a 7.5, only 7. I haven't seen his with a harness for a 7.5. These AKD ones are the first 7.5 replicas for a 7.5 I've seen.
We did a group buy from him a year ago and he had 2 different harnesses for the " OEM 7.5 " Tails . Each one specific to your MK. We had to specify before ordering.