GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

deleted

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Damn, I was planning on ordering some Konigs from Discount Tire and just getting some rings on Amazon and installing them myself, but if they can't even balance the tires, I might have to go somewhere else.

Not all DT locations are terrible. I have dealt with several of them before and was always satisfied with the service i received.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not all DT locations are terrible. I have dealt with several of them before and was always satisfied with the service i received.
My local shop is awesome

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I had the same happen to me. Except I had purchased the hub rings on amazon and had given them to discount tire at the time of install along with the new wheels and lugs.
They just ignored the rings and installed without. I just decided to install the rings myself.

I'm now the proud owner of a torque wrench, breaker bar, and 19mm no-mar socket. (probably things all car owners should have anyways)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Tightening wheel lugs should be doable in the parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've installed coilovers in an apartment parking lot so just doing hub rings shouldn't be an issue I would think. At the very least you'd get the peace of mind knowing that you put everything on correctly.

That’s helpful. From a customer perspective, though, a “sorry for the inconvenience” goes a long way, even if DT has no culpability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totally agree, the shop should be able to tell if it's out of round and make it right.

At this point, we don't actually know if it's the tire, improper mounting and balancing of the tire to the rim, or if they're too dumb to properly torque the lugs.

Total shit show and I wouldn't go back to this place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
At this point, we don't actually know if it's the tire, improper mounting and balancing of the tire to the rim, or if they're too dumb to properly torque the lugs.

All of the above is also a possibility.

I took my previous car and new PSS to DT, and wrapped painters tape around the rear wheels so they wouldn't mount them on the front--staggered sizes. While they got the wheels on the right axle, they stuffed a 275/35/19 under the front fenders, and put the 245/40 on the rear wheels.

Obviously they had to re-do the job, and I stood at the end of the bay watching. The tech actually commented--those 275s were really tough to mount, I should have checked the sizes :rolleyes:

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Update - they received the metal hub rings and installed them for me to fix the vibration issue. I drove it once and it felt better but yesterday I noticed vibration is still pretty intense at around 78+.

So now we’ve ruled out out-of-round tires and incorrect hub rings. What is left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
FWIW, discount tire swapped my AS to Extreme Contacts and did a fine job. They were cool with me having spacers on (as long as hub centric) and didn't put any new marks / scuffs on the wheels. They bagged my old tires and loaded them up without dirtying the interior. Lug torque and psi were on the money.

I did mention to the tech that if they did it carefully I'd be sure to show my appreciation ($$$). So, he got a $20 tip for being contentious.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
FWIW, discount tire swapped my AS to Extreme Contacts and did a fine job. They were cool with me having spacers on (as long as hub centric) and didn't put any new marks / scuffs on the wheels. They bagged my old tires and loaded them up without dirtying the interior. Lug torque and psi were on the money.

I did mention to the tech that if they did it carefully I'd be sure to show my appreciation ($$$). So, he got a $20 tip for being contentious.

Never heard of somebody getting a tip for being contentious. :D

Shook187

Update - they received the metal hub rings and installed them for me to fix the vibration issue. I drove it once and it felt better but yesterday I noticed vibration is still pretty intense at around 78+.

So now we’ve ruled out out-of-round tires and incorrect hub rings. What is left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like aftermarket wheels always have some vibration...I never had a set that didn't vibrate after 70 or 80.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk