GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

deleted

Had the A/3 3+ installed today. I think instead of vibration at 70+ now I can feel it at 80+ but it was super windy out this afternoon so I need to do some more testing.

As for driving around town on 17s the GTI feels so much more nimble. I'm not sure if it is all the dropped weight or the change in tire as well. My GTI came with the VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 which isn't rated very highly on Tire Rack.
S1 Noble2 has decent lateral grip for what it is, but has zero grip under acceleration or braking. 2nd worst tire I've used in 35 years. RE92 eye the worst.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes I think the tread on mine is about 1/3 gone. They were ridiculously easy to spin out even on a good surface. When it was raining a few days after I got my GTI I was unable to accelerate from 30-60 without babying the throttle or they would lose traction. There is no way I would have risked driving on them during the winter months.

With the A/S 3+ I can actually step on it pretty aggressively and only break traction at very low speeds.

I've seen several posts like yours. I have an 18 SE also that dynos at 350 HP and 390 torque and I don't get any wheelspin except for a chirp at WOT when the DSG shifts gears. Have Yokohama Avid Ascend tires which aren't anything special. How can I be getting such good traction? This is with traction control engaged and launch mode set but only taking off at 1500 RPM.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just did some late night testing on a country road. The traction is perfect now with the A/S 3+. I only really got wheel spin when using launch control at full throttle and like you said a chirp or two between gear shifts. With those POS tires I couldn't come close to fully utilizing my stock power.

BTW does the break-in period still apply to new tires? Most articles say to go easy on them for 500 miles but they all seem to imply it has more to do with safety than anything else due to lubricant used during the manufacturing process. Breaking them in "nicely" doesn't actually effect performance or longevity does it?

I don't think that how you drive on new tires right after they're installed has any affect on performance or longevity. Good to know that someone else gets traction also. I guess my Yokohama tires are better then I thought.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Necropost, but I just came back from Discount tire.

To mount and road force balance some tires I purchased off of TireRack: $323.

They wanted to charge me:

4 x $18 dismount
4 x $18 mounting
4 x $18 road force
4 x $6 disposal
4 x $21 lifetime maint

A dealership that is doing my alignment tomorrow wanted $100 for all 4.

Did something go wrong recently at DT?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Necropost, but I just came back from Discount tire.

To mount and road force balance some tires I purchased off of TireRack: $323.

They wanted to charge me:

4 x $18 dismount
4 x $18 mounting
4 x $18 road force
4 x $6 disposal
4 x $21 lifetime maint

A dealership that is doing my alignment tomorrow wanted $100 for all 4.

Did something go wrong recently at DT?

WOW, they bent you over :eek: :eek: :eek:

Even IF they charged you for dismounting (which they usually don't), it shouldn't have been close to that price!

I always pay $19/tire at Discount Tire for mounting & balancing = $76
Road Force balancing is included too, btw, not extra (if that Discount Tire has them, as most are switching over to having them now)

Disposal fee is only $2.50/tire too

When you paid $21 for "lifetime maint"....is that the tire "certificates" they sell?

I just picked some random 18" tires, but here are the install prices on Discount's site

Attachments

• Tire Install Prices.jpg
    Tire Install Prices.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 188

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
WOW, they bent you over :eek: :eek: :eek:

Even IF they charged you for dismounting (which they usually don't), it shouldn't have been close to that price!

I always pay $19/tire at Discount Tire for mounting & balancing = $76
Road Force balancing is included too, btw, not extra (if that Discount Tire has them, as most are switching over to having them now)

Disposal fee is only $2.50/tire too

When you paid $21 for "lifetime maint"....is that the tire "certificates" they sell?

I just picked some random 18" tires, but here are the install prices on Discount's site

Is that price when you purchase the tires from them?

Oh don't worry, I wasn't going to pay some tire monkeys $320 to put on a set.

I'm thinking that they are pushing people to buy through them, and make it untenable for those who buy from TireRack or elsewhere.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
So after reading this thread, I was pretty nervous about using Discount Tire, but I still decided to go with them for convenience and overall price.

FWIW, I brought my new wheels (no tires, still in boxes) to them, had them mount and balance, and I picked the wheels up myself to mount them at home.

They charged me:

4 x $1.75 state required fee
4 x $8.00 mounting
4 x $5.00 balance
0 x $2.50 waste tire disposal fee (since they were brand new)

Overall it was a nice surprise because the website doesn't allow you the option of not mounting the wheels to the car, which they charge and additional $6/wheel for. I called them to place my order and they gave me the reduced charges after explaining what I wanted and what I was bringing in.

Also, after mounting the wheels and tires on (without the unnecessary hub centering rings), I have no vibrations or shakes even up to 100 mph. The car does tramline a little more, but I'm chalking that up to the summer tires and the new alignment (I had the toe set a 0 all around).

Pretty pleased with the end result. :)