GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Stupid question: Was trying to swap pads and it seemed like the pistons were slightly out and I couldn't get the new pads in. The backing came off and I figured I should stop there and put the old pads back in. Is there a setting in VCDS that retracts the pistons all the way? Only thing I find is for the rear brake retraction.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Stupid question: Was trying to swap pads and it seemed like the pistons were slightly out and I couldn't get the new pads in. The backing came off and I figured I should stop there and put the old pads back in. Is there a setting in VCDS that retracts the pistons all the way? Only thing I find is for the rear brake retraction.
No, you need to use a piston spreader. I use a knockoff version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Quick-Quad-Spreader/dp/B005GLQCKA

PatMc

Car(s)
Depends on the day
I just pull the old pad out the top, turn it 90° and stick it back in halfway over the pistons and use it a prybar to push the pistons back....do one pad at a time, then install the new pad and do the other pad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I just pull the old pad out the top, turn it 90° and stick it back in halfway over the pistons and use it a prybar to push the pistons back....do one pad at a time, then install the new pad and do the other pad.
This is what I do also. Don't need no fancy spreader.

I actually want a spreader, I've just never got around to buying one.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Anyone else have issues with the DB-45HT silicone dust boots not seating on the outer dia? Cleaned really well, they just pop right out.

Video for reference:

The standard black rubber ones seem to fit fine. But these are only lasting about 6 months or so before drying up ans cracking, even with the RRG. Was really hoping silicone would get me through a year but cant get them to fit properly.

20230909_105120.jpg

Last edited:

PatMc

Car(s)
Depends on the day
Anyone else have issues with the DB-45HT silicone dust boots not seating on the outer dia? Cleaned really well, they just pop right out.

Video for reference:

The standard black rubber ones seem to fit fine. But these are only lasting about 6 months or so before drying up ans cracking, even with the RRG. Was really hoping silicone would get me through a year but cant get them to fit properly.

View attachment 290250
Have you considered running a titanium heat shield shim between the pads and the pistons? Let me know if you'd like to try it

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Have you considered running a titanium heat shield shim between the pads and the pistons? Let me know if you'd like to try it

Ive been running titanium shims since ive installed these calipers. Considering trying the pyroclast shims offered by evo corsa. The car is not a daily and only track car and im not nice to the brakes. Lol

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited: