GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I am thinking i would like to swap out the caliper pistons so they are all the same material. Ideally I would like to swap to all the dark coating since they seem to give the the least amount of piston retraction. But the other possibility would be to use all of the lighter (nickel plated?) pistons and see if those 4 PSI valves will work with consistent piston retraction on inner and outer.
Given how common these calipers are I have to assume there are plenty of options for replacement pistons, they seem to be a standard 42 mm by 30 mm. I have found a few options but nothing from Brembo or Porsche, most suppliers do not provide a lot of details about material and coatings so it seems like a bit of a crap shoot ordering them.
Unless someone knows where I can get the OEM pistons?

I found a European source but my god, for the price I could get titanium pistons so... Looking for some help if anyone knows of a good source?

DaButcher

Ready to race!
Did a test fit yesterday to make sure the calipers fit with my wheels before i start painting and going through with it. Can confirm that VMR V705's 18x8.5 et 35 fit, not that I think anyone else would choose to run these heavy discontinued wheels with these brakes haha.
Questions:
- I managed to grab the last set of those brake shims. Are you guys greasing these? Do you just grease where the shim touches the pad?
- I saw in a post earlier that it was suggested to bleed inner, outer, then inner again. What about front to back? Does it matter whether you bleed the fronts or rears first?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
- Do you just grease where the shim touches the pad?
My thinking, and I could well be wrong, is it would be similar to normal shims where you grease the part the piston touches but not against the back of the brake. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did both sides of the shims.

EDIT: not between the pad and shim

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My thinking, and I could well be wrong, is it would be similar to normal shims where you grease the part the piston touches but not against the back of the brake. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did both sides of the shims.

Wouldn't greasing between the shim and pad backing plate increase thermal transfer to the caliper?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Don't think this is the reason, but not recommended by Super Lube
https://www.super-lube.com/brake-grease-applications

They do show applying it to the back of the pads, the question is why? Applying it to the pad mounting contact surfaces and slide pins (for a floating caliber) is obvious, but the piston to pad contact surface? I have seen some suggest that doing that can help with brake squeal, but over the years I have done this, and not done it, and found it made no discernible difference, other than it creates more of a mess with brake maintenance.

GTIfan's point that it could increase heat transfer also seems like a reasonable assumption. Given the added mess and no observable/rational benefit, I personally would not do it.

MurtMk7

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I'm going to say similar to the other Konig wheels and a 8-10mm spacer will be required
Funny enough I just emailed Koning about this yesterday. You can email a template to fitment@konig.com and they will let you know if it fits. I will let everyone know when they get back to me (I asked about Ampliforms).

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
I'm looking at Freeforms myself

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion