GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So many dealerships that simply don't want to deal with warranty work. Sad. It's so obvious when you have the leaking...should be able to see dried coolant on the bottom of the water pump/thermo housing regardless if it passes a pressure test. Mine was this way a few years ago, visible coolant, passed test, sorry but just keep an eye on it. So paid out of warranty to fix, submitted claim through the CA, hope at some point I see a check.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
My GTI had the water pump replaced earlier this year under warranty. It started leaking again after 2 weeks so it went back for a second replacement. Been leak-free ever since. Out of the blue, I received this text from my service advisor:

Volkswagen is reaching out to Us to ask if You have time to come by with Your Volkswagen Golf GTI for Our Tech to scan the ECM after replacing the Thermostat Assembly. Our VW Tech says it would only take 15-minutes. Do You have time today or Tomorrow For Us to get a Scan to give To Volkswagen. So apparently We needed to run a GFF(guided fault finding) Log when We submitted the warranty repair to Volkswagen

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My GTI had the water pump replaced earlier this year under warranty. It started leaking again after 2 weeks so it went back for a second replacement. Been leak-free ever since. Out of the blue, I received this text from my service advisor:
Haha yeah...they are likely looking to deny warranty claims if tuned/TD1.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
I don't understand why now? Original thermostat housing and water pump replacement was April 7, and the second replacement was May 30. I was back for my 30k service on July 5 and they said nothing.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't understand why now? Original thermostat housing and water pump replacement was April 7, and the second replacement was May 30. I was back for my 30k service on July 5 and they said nothing.
Just speculation. I've heard from a few dealers folks this same thing that VW now is requiring guided fault scan for water pump leak warranty claims..who knows...Plenty of modded/tuned folks have had this handled under warranty without issue.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My car of flagged, VW covered my aux water pump.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

That's crazy, I'm tuned as well and had my water pump + thermostat replaced recently. I wonder what would happen if you just don't go? Seems like it'd be on them to run the scan prior to doing the work.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
That's crazy, I'm tuned as well and had my water pump + thermostat replaced recently. I wonder what would happen if you just don't go? Seems like it'd be on them to run the scan prior to doing the work.
I'm not sure. I don't know if they wont be reimbursed for the warranty work without the scan they are requesting. I'm also not sure what happens if I take it in and they notice the ECM has been flashed. Not sure if that's something that would come up during the GFF process.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure. I don't know if they wont be reimbursed for the warranty work without the scan they are requesting. I'm also not sure what happens if I take it in and they notice the ECM has been flashed. Not sure if that's something that would come up during the GFF process.
Just don't take it in - problem solved. Your work was completed, as far as you are concerned this is done. Sure, nice to make sure they get paid but again...at some point this is on them to do their job correctly.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What's interesting is the folks that got in on the CA and had to provide backup to get reimbursed for out-of-pocket repair costs if less than 8/80...so how does that work? They won't be able to scan those cars. Still waiting.....waiting for my $1150 check from the lawfirm.....

Edit. Just emailed the law firm again...I resubmitted my stuff in April...it's August....

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm beginning to think the law firm is the only one getting money out of VW at this point.

What state is the law firm in? I'd report them to the AG's office.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm beginning to think the law firm is the only one getting money out of VW at this point.

What state is the law firm in? I'd report them to the AG's office.
I'm quite sure they are well within the bounds of the state law here...just taking time. The lawfirm ALWAYS makes money on CA suits...that's why they do it for nothing up front.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Meanwhile my car still loosing coolant