GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Has anyone actually received their settlement check yet??
Nope - last movevment was me re-sending the same info I sent to the lawfirm originally showing elgibility. I figure it will be sometime this year.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
FYI if you're tuned and thinking of getting water pump / thermostat replaced under the warranty - apparently VW will deny the warranty claim. I just went to my VW dealer (Smith VW in DE) and was going to drop my mk7 off for the coolant leak, assuming I'd be under the warranty if it was the water pump or thermostat, and they said I would not be covered since I have an APR Stage 2 tune. Kinda crazy from VW since it was tuned at the same dealer... you'd be better off going to a independent shop if you have one since VW will charge ~$150 just to diagnose the leak. Has anyone who is tuned been successful at getting the warranty?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FYI if you're tuned and thinking of getting water pump / thermostat replaced under the warranty - apparently VW will deny the warranty claim. I just went to my VW dealer (Smith VW in DE) and was going to drop my mk7 off for the coolant leak, assuming I'd be under the warranty if it was the water pump or thermostat, and they said I would not be covered since I have an APR Stage 2 tune. Kinda crazy from VW since it was tuned at the same dealer... you'd be better off going to a independent shop if you have one since VW will charge ~$150 just to diagnose the leak.
My car is tuned and dealer tried to deny my aux water pump. I told them my warranty wasn't with them, it's with VW and to submit the claim.

VW approved in less than 5 min.

Dealers are sleazy make more when you have to pay vice the rate VW pays them.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
My car is tuned and dealer tried to deny my aux water pump. I told them my warranty wasn't with them, it's with VW and to submit the claim.

VW approved in less than 5 min.

Dealers are sleazy make more when you have to pay vice the rate VW pays them.

Thanks for the reply, I might have to call corporate then? I didn't end up dropping my car off since I'd rather take it to my local shop if its not covered under the warranty

Update: I called corporate and they said it won't be covered under the warranty since it's modified and they would rely on what the dealership said since they are not technically trained...

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just read about one being fixed on the GSW/AT FB group tuned - you need to force the dealer to submit the claim, VW makes the call.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
...and they said I would not be covered since I have an APR Stage 2 tune. Kinda crazy from VW since it was tuned at the same dealer...
Keep in mind that just because a dealer offers APR doesn't mean they can't void certain warranties for it. While it's likely that they are a bit more mod friendly, like others have stated above, it needs to go up to VW for the actual decision.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Keep in mind that just because a dealer offers APR doesn't mean they can't void certain warranties for it. While it's likely that they are a bit more mod friendly, like others have stated above, it needs to go up to VW for the actual decision.

True, corporate stated anything that is not affected by the tune should be covered, but they didn't confirm that the water pump would be covered. I called another dealer and they said it should be covered even though its tuned. I'm going to take it there tomorrow 🤞

tigeo

Autocross Champion
APR is an aftermarket ECU flash, VW doesn't cover anything to do with it. IF you got the APR+ warranty which is just a third-party warranty you buy, then yes, the dealer could submit the claim if denied by VW under the + warranty for coverage.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Shit seems like such a crapshoot and outcome depends on who you actually talk to and if they are having a good day or not lol
100%...the dealer is the gatekeeper here on warranty claims as they are the ones submitting it/concerned about getting it approved. However, many times they don't want to dick with aftermarket stuff so always see if they will submit to VW regardless and be willing to wait for that approval before they will touch your car - that's only right.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Shit seems like such a crapshoot and outcome depends on who you actually talk to and if they are having a good day or not lol

Yup the person from corporate seemed pretty incompetent tbh and basically just said to refer to what the dealer said... it's been a circus and definitely gives me a bad impression on VW but hopefully I can get it covered under warranty if it is the water pump or thermostat (which im assuming given my very slow leak). Will report back after my appointment.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I just wanted to post a little anecdote. I have my 2019 in at the dealer (disgusting I know) under warranty because the coolant level drops from max to min every 1.5 months and the AC is not blowing cold across all vents/not blowing cold in general. When I was at the dealer I specifically told them someone has to inspect the water pump area visually as the leak is usually so small that a pressure test won't show anything, which is how it was on my 2015.

Well I get a text today saying they pressure tested the system and it has no leak, so I guess I was speaking another language. My expectation is that they will also say my AC is fine and I will have to get the car home and diagnose it all myself with photographic evidence, then take it back and have them fix it under warranty. The kicker is I'm paying for a rental car in the meantime since they no longer have loaner cars or offer rentals to customers.

It's nice to have a reminder every 5 years of why I always do my own work.