GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Anyone know if a very slow coolant leak ends up being the thermostat housing will the dealer charge for checking it out? Or the extended warranty includes the dealer checking the car? I've had issues before where they couldn't find the problem and ended up charging me ~$200...

I have a very slow leak (goes from Max to Min line in the reservoir in ~5 months), not sure if its worth going to the dealer for.
Sounds pretty normal. If it's ~5 months then chances are the dealer will tell you the same thing again. I wouldn't have paid them anything for that answer though

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Sounds pretty normal. If it's ~5 months then chances are the dealer will tell you the same thing again. I wouldn't have paid them anything for that answer though

Thanks, that's what I kinda assumed. I haven't taken it in for the slow leak, that was a separate clunk issue (ended up being rear sway bar end links) where the dealer couldn't find the issue. I took it to an independent shop and they figured it out pretty quick... I think I will continue to monitor the coolant level and if it starts leaking quicker may take it in.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
In my experience: if they cant find the smoking gun, proving you have a thermostat/water pump leak via pictures, they wont fix it. Even if it smells like coolant being burned off. Mine usually empyts itself every 6 months too

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
So my 2020 GTI went from zero leaks to a decent leak, seemingly overnight. Walked out to my car after work yesterday and noticed a wet spot under the passenger side but figured it was leftover from some rain earlier. Then I noticed another puddle in my driveway last night after the car had been sitting a while. I thought these started off really slowly?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So my 2020 GTI went from zero leaks to a decent leak, seemingly overnight. Walked out to my car after work yesterday and noticed a wet spot under the passenger side but figured it was leftover from some rain earlier. Then I noticed another puddle in my driveway last night after the car had been sitting a while. I thought these started off really slowly?

Mine started slowly. I could smell it when I parked in my garage, then one day it just let go and started leaking like crazy.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Got a letter back today from lawfirm....for some reason they are asking for all the supporting docs...again. I already sent all of it but did it...again....

Hopefully that means things are moving along and unless something goes sideways, I'll get my $1150 check this year. The funny one is the maintenance records for your cooling system. There aren't any as it's not a maintenance item. If anyone is ineterested, this is some of what I included in my "packet" of info to hopefully show what they want to see. Also included the receipt for the repair itself as well as the VW service order showing I took it in for them to check it while under warranty and they said no-go b/c it didn't leak under the test....but funny as the multi-point inspection showed that it was leaking coolant :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Got a letter back today from lawfirm....for some reason they are asking for all the supporting docs...again. I already sent all of it but did it...again....

Hopefully that means things are moving along and unless something goes sideways, I'll get my $1150 check this year. The funny one is the maintenance records for your cooling system. There aren't any as it's not a maintenance item. If anyone is ineterested, this is some of what I included in my "packet" of info to hopefully show what they want to see. Also included the receipt for the repair itself as well as the VW service order showing I took it in for them to check it while under warranty and they said no-go b/c it didn't leak under the test....but funny as the multi-point inspection showed that it was leaking coolant :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 278101View attachment 278102View attachment 278103View attachment 278104
Revived the same letter today.

I also included the detailed receipts for 3 water pumps. I also didn’t included the needed coolant specific maintenance records because what the hell are they asking for.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Revived the same letter today.

I also included the detailed receipts for 3 water pumps. I also didn’t included the needed coolant specific maintenance records because what the hell are they asking for.
I just included anything I could to make this be done.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
I think after the 2nd pump I'd be doing it myself as it doesn't sound like they were installed correctly.
2nd was a dealer, 3rd was my current trusted indie shop and it cracked down the middle, just over a year so the 4th was warrantied by them. I think this one’s the one and I also think the shop is over my coolant issues so they motivated.

I’ll report back when I get number 5.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did

Same stuff you originally sent or additional?

I’m thinking of just resending with another affidavit that I properly maintained the non maintainable system.
I sent it both times but added a bit more with a summary list of maintenance I've done. I think for this, they want to know that you used the proper coolant.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2nd was a dealer, 3rd was my current trusted indie shop and it cracked down the middle, just over a year so the 4th was warrantied by them. I think this one’s the one and I also think the shop is over my coolant issues so they motivated.

I’ll report back when I get number 5.
good god. you are a patient man. I'd have sold the car by now.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
good god. you are a patient man. I'd have sold the car by now.
I was committed 😂, I did want to drive it off a cliff on that 4th but I got a shop loaner A3 for a bit so that was kinda nice

Only to now receive a letter that I need to prove the maintenance on a closed system. Good grief