GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Exhaust??

AFOS8

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hey y’all ! Hope y’all doing good, im here looking ( I hope this is the right tread sorry in adcance) for a new exhaust sytmem, or looking what to put on my MK7 GTI. Im currently running a muffler delete and a APR Down pipe/DP, but its just too lowed. So im looking for like somewhat of a cheap exhaust system maby under 400$, or if can like get a nice souding muffler or something idk. im looking something lowtone but whit that growl dont wanna be the lowd 4 cylender on the block lol. Ive been seeing the borla exhaus sytem but thats just to expensive.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think CTS turbo has a cheaper exhaust... don't know of anything below $600. There's no rule saying you need to slap something with a name brand on here. Maybe you have a local muffler shop you could ask for something custom, give them a call and ask for a quote.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Have a local shop weld in a Vibrant 17930 resonator and a Borla Pro XS muffler and you will be set. As an alternative you could also pick up a Rev 9 catback, but it won’t be as good as the aforementioned exhaust setup. Read this thread for more information.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Welcome to the forum!

Having went down the cheap exhaust route myself, I highly recommend NOT going the cheap route. I bought the REV9 exhaust and never liked the way it sounded.

For your setup, I would do a Clubsport/TCR muffler, depending on the year of your GTI. That will quiet it down a little.

If it's still too much, have a shop replace the stock resonator with a Vibrant 17930. You can also get a Baun Performance mid pipe that would have the same effect, but higher quality.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I have a Rev9. Got it after going stage 2 with a muffler deleted OEM exhaust sounded just heinous.

The Rev9 sounded much better except for drone / boominess. Swapping in a vibrant resonator didn't seem to help. Adding a borla pro-xs muffler did help a lot. So I have an exhaust with 3 mufflers. Total cost probably around $650 with the shop work swapping in the resonator and borla muffler. Without the vibrant (if I'd known in advance), cost would be $500 and change. If I had it to do over, i'd have gone for something else just to avoid the hassle and get it right, from the jump. Even if it meant spending $800+

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The beluga did me right for the two months I had it. Maybe three months? It was just too quiet for my tastes. It sounded great after about 3k rpm. But I wanted more volume in my daily drive. But I had the stock downpipe. U don’t have the stock downpipe. I think it’ll suit u well.

I swapped to a awe track exhaust. My sister got it for me for my bday

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The beluga did me right for the two months I had it. Maybe three months? It was just too quiet for my tastes. It sounded great after about 3k rpm. But I wanted more volume in my daily drive. But I had the stock downpipe. U don’t have the stock downpipe. I think it’ll suit u well.

I swapped to a awe track exhaust. My sister got it for me for my bday
belugawhale.jpg

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I have a Rev9. Got it after going stage 2 with a muffler deleted OEM exhaust sounded just heinous.

The Rev9 sounded much better except for drone / boominess. Swapping in a vibrant resonator didn't seem to help. Adding a borla pro-xs muffler did help a lot. So I have an exhaust with 3 mufflers. Total cost probably around $650 with the shop work swapping in the resonator and borla muffler. Without the vibrant (if I'd known in advance), cost would be $500 and change. If I had it to do over, i'd have gone for something else just to avoid the hassle and get it right, from the jump. Even if it meant spending $800+
Same story almost. After paying for the REV9 and then paying a shop to modify it with a Borla ProXS muffler, I could have just bought an AWE or Borla complete system.

Curryninja

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
I have a CTS exhaust that I snagged on FB Marketplace for about 500 that had a resonator delete. I also installed a CTS downpipe to get ready for stage 2. Way to loud, rattle-y, and too much drone. After reading everything here I had a local shop weld a Vibrant 17950. Stopped the rattling and droning at the 2-3k rpm spot. It sounds great in the now and high ranges. Love the daily and when I put my foot on the gas in Sports mode. Only issue now is the droning in 6th on highway travel 80+ but that's another story.

Like others have said the Borla Pro XS Muffler + Vibrant 17950 is very good from all posts about it and some of the clips I've heard. For something as important as sound that you hear everyday, don't cheap out. If I were to do it over and not be hasty I'd save for something more expensive with valve control. Other option would be a custom exhaust setup from a local reputable shop.

Last edited:

AFOS8

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have a CTS exhaust that I snagged on FB Marketplace for about 500 that had a resonator delete. I also installed a CTS downpipe to get ready for stage 2. Way to loud, rattle-y, and too much drone. After reading everything here I had a local shop weld a Vibrant 17930. Stopped the rattling and droning at the 2-3k rpm spot. It sounds great in the now and high ranges. Love the daily and when I put my foot on the gas in Sports mode. Only issue now is the droning in 6th on highway travel 80+ but that's another story.

Like others have said the Boral Pro XS Muffler + Vibrant 17930 is very good from all posts about it and some of the clips I've heard. For something as important as sound that you hear everyday, don't cheap out. If I were to do it over and not be hasty I'd save for something more expensive with valve control. Other option would be a custom exhaust setup from a local reputable shop.
Where did you find the sound clips? Yea I might order these then and slap them on. Another question dose it take 2 Boral mufflers? or is it just one Boral and the vibrant?

Last edited: