GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braille Battery GU1R 12v Lithium Ion Retrofit

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Quick update:

The G30 battery is rated at 15Ah but I'm not sure if using the Lead-Acid Equivalent parameter makes more sense for the battery adaptation?

New settings below - I changed to 45Ah (Lithium Amp Hour/Lead - Acid Equivalent).

45Ah
Bra
Lithium ions

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Coding as detailed in the previous post worked excellent with the OBD11.

13Ah
Bra
Lithium ions

I had to play with the orientation of the battery/terminals. I ended up having to mount the cage on its side, directly to the battery tray with the supplied self tapping screws. No big deal honestly.

Love the upgrade so far! The stereo even sounds better:LOL:

Well done, thank you for the contribution.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
as big as i like to think i am in cutting weight down, i just cant fathom spending ~600 bucks to shed 30 lbs. but props to OP and all those that have done this.

I tried the deka 16 battery a few years ago; had no issues until one of the terminals broke off from mounting/dismounting the positive connection too many times. and for 100ish bucks it was nice but weighed like 15lbs i think, so a marginal decrease in weight but for a marginal price.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
My contribution for those who don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a cage. Cut a slit in the tray and 2 velcro straps off amazon:

Well done.
as big as i like to think i am in cutting weight down, i just cant fathom spending ~600 bucks to shed 30 lbs. but props to OP and all those that have done this.

I tried the deka 16 battery a few years ago; had no issues until one of the terminals broke off from mounting/dismounting the positive connection too many times. and for 100ish bucks it was nice but weighed like 15lbs i think, so a marginal decrease in weight but for a marginal price.
Another good alternative.

Wanna shed 30 lbs? Put 5 gallons less gas in it.
Lol, very true. But 5 gallons of fuel at Daytona Rolex 24 hour course is good for approximately 4 more laps during a 30 minute session. I averaged 3 MPG during my sessions there.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Lol, very true. But 5 gallons of fuel at Daytona Rolex 24 hour course is good for approximately 4 more laps during a 30 minute session. I averaged 3 MPG during my sessions there.

OK, but let's say you kept the stock battery and filled it up. How much of a performance gain would you really realize with a 30-lb weight reduction? Would it actually be meaningful? Not trying to bust your balls, I just don't know the answer and I"m curious as to what the real benefit is and if it's worth the cost to do it.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
OK, but let's say you kept the stock battery and filled it up. How much of a performance gain would you really realize with a 30-lb weight reduction? Would it actually be meaningful? Not trying to bust your balls, I just don't know the answer and I"m curious as to what the real benefit is and if it's worth the cost to do it.

For the average street user, you wouldn't notice the weight savings. However, if you compete in Motorsport, especially for prize money, then I'd go with a Lithium Ion battery for the weight savings. I was starting to get involved in Time Trial events in Central Florida and when my OEM battery died it was a logical decision for the replacement battery as I planned to gut and race spec my Golf R for Motorsport.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
kudos to all you track rats for going the extra mile. i wish that somehow it had spawned a comprehensive weight shavings thread on here somewhere so we could all collectively come up with the best weight saving modifications for the money. its of course good for street cars too

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
The batteries are said to last 10 years plus the other added benefits summarized in this great thread.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...gu1r-green-lite-lithium-battery-combo.269208/

"As per Gary Savage at Braille, lithium batteries are electrically superior and not just because of their weight savings. Lithium delivers a higher, cleaner voltage, so we can expect quicker starting, improved engine management performance (fuel pumps, ignition system, etc.), less horsepower draw from the alternator due to efficient charging (5 times faster than lead-acid), will last 3-5 times longer and is much lighter, hence why this battery is ideal for 4 & 6 cylinder street/track cars."

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
it's not just 30lbs, it's also meaningful center of gravity reduction given it's location.

thinking of doing it with a small agm

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I have a 15lb AGM battery on the way. What is the most cost effective way to mount it? I wanted to ditch the battery tray altogether but realized the stock airbox has some mounting points to it.

Going to take some time to think if it's possible to fab or 3D print something custom to accommodate the battery and airbox grommets. I haven't touched CAD in years.