GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braille Battery GU1R 12v Lithium Ion Retrofit

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Did you see my pic? Or is that too ghetto?
Not ghetto at all. Ideally want to take out the big ass tray altogether but might have to keep it and either drill into it or use a strap like you.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Does a new battery (EFB going to AGM) need to be coded in VCDS? I'm seeing split information about this, I don't have start/stop.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Does a new battery (EFB going to AGM) need to be coded in VCDS? I'm seeing split information about this, I don't have start/stop.

Did the coding work for you? So far I see someone with AGM small cap battery using Binary-AGM and 20aH failed coding, but seems to work with the LiON crowd.

Just ordered a Braille 17lb AGM with the Braille adjustable J hook mount bracket. Hoping that it will fit with factory tray...

BTW, that's a really nice and clean looking bracket you made there (y)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had to code things twice due to failure.
Did these first:

IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Adapted to "39" Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Adapted to "Lithium ions"

Then tried these but they failed.

IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Adapted to "Braille Battery", however, when it accepted it shortened to "Bra"

IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Adapted from "ille Battery" to the serial number provided with new battery purchase "XXXXXXX"

Cycled VCDS software and the car on/off then retried and they took.

papatsonis

Hi 2 all,

I recently "retrofit" aa LiFePO4 battery on my MQB (Octavia RS actually) but despite the adaptation (capacity/type/etc), i've got 2 times spontaneously the following error :

8521278 - Battery terminal recognition
U1411 00 [008] - Open circuit
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 236
Mileage: 80310 km
Date: 2020.06.01
Time: 20:34:01

Supply voltage: Terminal 30: 13.8 V
Terminal 15: On

Anyone got a similar one?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I had to code things twice due to failure.
Did these first:

IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Adapted to "39" Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Adapted to "Lithium ions"

Then tried these but they failed.

IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Adapted to "Braille Battery", however, when it accepted it shortened to "Bra"

IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Adapted from "ille Battery" to the serial number provided with new battery purchase "XXXXXXX"

Cycled VCDS software and the car on/off then retried and they took.

Cool, thanks for heads up! I will definitely try more than once if it fails on first try.

papatsonis

I'm on the latest v20.4 and just by curiosity a while ago i went in the car to voltmeter it on idle, was 13,3 so i think all good. (3,3v each cell)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Did the coding work for you? So far I see someone with AGM small cap battery using Binary-AGM and 20aH failed coding, but seems to work with the LiON crowd.

Just ordered a Braille 17lb AGM with the Braille adjustable J hook mount bracket. Hoping that it will fit with factory tray...

BTW, that's a really nice and clean looking bracket you made there (y)
Yes, set to Binary-AGM 18 Ah, changed the serial number and it accepted the coding. Not sure if it's supposed to be Binary-AGM or fleece but I think I'll be ok. Coming home/leaving home lights have been disabled as per a local's recommendation.

And thank you, I might go back and clean up the sharp edges but it works for now. When I have free time I'm going to try and CAD design an aluminum mount that replaces the stock battery tray but keeps the grommet points for the stock airbox.

a3scott20

Ready to race!
Has anyone tried Binary-AGM instead of Lithium ions option in battery technology on your lithium battery? Currently I am running Lite blox lithium battery and have been told by Lite blox service that I should use Binary-AGM. What is difference between Binary-AGM and Lithium ions, battery charging current?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Resurrecting this thread (thx Diggs) with some cheaper alternatives:

https://www.amazon.com/Phosphate-Re...d48fee&pd_rd_wg=dsCOG&pd_rd_i=B08DFXVN88&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Phosphate-Re...d48fee&pd_rd_wg=dsCOG&pd_rd_i=B08DFXVN88&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0881HT5DW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

These are all (allegedly) starting batteries (CCA-rated), suitable for car use.

There are even cheaper options for deep-cycle batteries, but I wouldn't try to put these in a car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X523S96/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATW4RRWB3JMSM&th=1

I know there's a real chance of questionable specs and/or quality of these chinese batteries, but for half the price with the same 2years warranty as the Braille, I figured I can give it a shot and maybe other people feel the same.

I'm not 100% sure which spec/model I should be getting, since the Braille G30 is 192Wh/947CCA/15AH, the 3 I listed would be 256WH/750CCA/20Ah, 384Wh/850CCA/22Ah or 360Wh/720CCA/20(?)Ah

(the slightly lower CCA ratings don't really concern me, since they're all overkill for a gas 2L/4cyl)

I know with older alternators (with "dumb" regulators) you could overheat them or burn the diodes if you massively oversize the battery, but in our cars where we have charging settings options specifically for Li-ion in VCDS perhaps that's not a concern anymore..?

Knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.