GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
I have zero problems getting all 486 whp down to the ground. OP, I'm totally content with my BT GTI and would do it all over again.

My car just spins the wheels between shifts. What's your secret? I had a BT Focus ST pushing 400whp years ago too and got rid of it because of the same problem.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Uhhh nothing left to do? LSD.......
Listen if you can find me an LSD for the 09G I'll buy it on the spot. Been around the block more than once and there's nothing I can find for my gearbox, and correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that LSD's are more about helping drag the car around a corner under power rather than helping with traction from a dig.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
My car just spins the wheels between shifts. What's your secret? I had a BT Focus ST pushing 400whp years ago too and got rid of it because of the same problem.

Answered that question already. SuperPro mounts and knowing how to drive my car plus a good/sticky set of tires, which I forgot to add in my first response.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Listen if you can find me an LSD for the 09G I'll buy it on the spot. Been around the block more than once and there's nothing I can find for my gearbox, and correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that LSD's are more about helping drag the car around a corner under power rather than helping with traction from a dig.

A LSD is for traction. When one wheel starts to slip it locks the diff.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
A LSD is for traction. When one wheel starts to slip it locks the diff.
I'm aware of that yes, which is why they're so useful for fighting one tire fires when pulling through corners. My question is how much an LSD does for you when you're spinning both front tires because you have more power than traction.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm aware of that yes, which is why they're so useful for fighting one tire fires when pulling through corners. My question is how much an LSD does for you when you're spinning both front tires because you have more power than traction.

No good at all then. Better tires? DSG or manual. Better engine mounts etc.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Since when is an R only "a few grand extra" more than a gti? When I was shopping lightly used models, it was more like 8 grand difference as I recall. Which is why I went gti for a place where it never snows and seldom even rains.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Yea I briefly looked at a few A3/S3’s along with some R’s, biggest con would be the lack of Cobb support on the Audi’s.

There is always Eurodyne... They have a fantastic selection of Protuners over there. I would have considered them more seriously if they had Apple support.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since when is an R only "a few grand extra" more than a gti? When I was shopping lightly used models, it was more like 8 grand difference as I recall. Which is why I went gti for a place where it never snows and seldom even rains.

And where the sun shines and the heat in the summer is relentless. ?

I live in Phoenix.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
when it comes down to it, the R is a fwd platform that sometimes sends some power to the rear. also, new v new, I got my wifes gti for 25k, the same dealership sells golf R's for 52k. sorry, it may have double the drive wheels, but it's not twice the car.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
People always forget that the sticker price on the GTI has -much- more wiggle room than the R.

6 grand off the GTI is pretty doable. Making it a high 20s car. You can probably get a couple grand off the R but that still leaves you close to 40k. The gap between them could be 10 large, easy.

WindyBoi

R is way more expensive. But whats to say the mod bug doesnt bite with the R. You now spent X thousands of dollars more for the R, + the mods that are probably a little bit more expensive on the R. So you are now in it for way more then a few grand. Keep that in mind,

Also I dont think the R comes with the plaid seats which I wouldnt giveup for the world :D. Gotta have the plaid seats. Its worth like 50hp ;)