GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
5k market adjustment plus full msrp, and they can't keep them in stock. It's insane.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I had a mk4 gti for 6 years and a mk6 gti for 6 years. I got tired of modding and building the car up in order to use the power, only to still end up with wheel spin/hop unless I wanted to sacrifice some more comfort, and I wasn't willing to.

I got the R because I could slap a tune on it and call it a day. Stage 1 is all I've done and I've never had so much fun with 1st and 2nd gear pulls. Best part is it's still just as comfortable to drive it as the day I bought it. No additional NVH required.

There's a big difference in how easy the power goes down between my old mk6 stage 2 gti compared to my stage 1 R. In 1st and 2nd the GTI struggled on the streets even when the roads were dry. The R doesn't give a fuck. It could be in the middle of a downpour, roads drenched, and I can still mash it in 1st and 2nd without having to think about it.

I didn't have a problem spending more for it when I know I'll get that back with resale.

Last edited:

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn’t realize how accustomed I had become to trying hard to lay down power with my GTI until I purchased my R. Been 9 months and I still get a huge kick out of using auto-hold then effortlessly launching hard in the R. AWD was so worth it to me in several ways...

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
You can’t compare stripper base model gtis to an R. Compare an autobahn with an R and it’s a lot closer comparison. I’ve had both and the R wins. Gonna win a lot more once I install this fuel system and turbo.

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
Simply put, if you have the money for awd now, do it! I love GTIs but awd is a game changer. If you're on this forum you will obey the force and upgrade your car! I love my current set up, but comparing a Mazda speed 3 to a wrx (both owned) awd=wrx. A mazda gtx to speed3 , awd both owned,=GTX. The most amazing stock car I've drive a Mazda speed6 just ahead of Mitsubishi galant VR4 (dad owned). On launch, in the corners awd! I'm on a budget and under the eye of the wife so, low cost purchase of the GTI then upgrading is my prefered option but ultimately awd is a better choice.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
you may be the most self aggrandizing person I've encountered on this forum. You're great in you own mind , and you provide little information. power to you mate you love yourself!

That's quite unnecessary. JerseyDrew77 is a well respected forum member and very knowledgeable.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A big turbo GTI will likely be better around a road course than an R. I have the opportunity to trade my son's 2018 S, give him my 2019, and pick up an R with that 0% financing, but I think I'll keep the GTI. The R is heavier and I just don't think the 4motion is helpful on track, as it's mostly fwd biased anyway. It's temping though.

Drag racing, R all the way.

From a roll, GTI makes sense.

Live in warm climate, it's a toss up, depending on your priorities.

Live in cold climate, R all the way. I always had AWD cars when we live in CT.