GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Is this product really bad or just not 100% of what is advertised?

Say you haven't even seen the rabbit hole yet, does this product deliver results on a $/power basis or is it actually a dud compared to spending similar dollars on someone else's product?

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Honestly the ESC thing happened to me before when I was Stage 1, netting me a 14.0 @ 87mph instead of my typical 13.6 @ 104.8mph. That was a little different because my tires kept getting wet due to the water box being impossible to get around at that track. It killed my power in 3rd and I was basically coasting to the finish.

This time it’s 2nd gear which is a major dud and I’m finishing super strong. Either way there are definitely some tenths/mph on the table.

Edit: A few key details to add some insight into my potential comedy of errors last night:

- Open differential
- AWD ECU tune
- ESC “Off” for launch, but by default it’s still on above 60mph unless coded completely out

Result = Prime conditions for loss of traction and power cutting out.

Wait so when I used Obdeleven to code ESC Sport to ESC OFF, I didn't finish the job? I didn't know this

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion

Turbo accessories and tune package is well priced compared to other options. If you're where I'm at, JB4 on stock turbo, without too many intake accessories installed, this is still a high value option.

The "pick 1 fuel" choices are a little odd to me... can't see how many people opt for greater than 93 Octane tunes, unless they are the distributor. 100 AKI 95% of the time needs a hpfp... which the tune doesn't allow for. Who runs special gt260 canned fuel often enough to even warrant making that option available?

And really... why the heck not a 96AKI/E30 tune instead?

I am the target for this package, but I'm sad to say I'm not quite sold given these limitations. The fuel options I'd want to run mean I'd have to seek out alternative tuning, which means it might as well not include the tune- IOW, many other options work out to be cheaper.

Only going to run 93 or 91 Octane, ever? This is probably your best budget upgrade.

Last edited:

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
@CarbonDub you need to get a draggy and compare times on the street. I’m curious if you’re hitting the same protection routines with slightly higher then normal IATs from sitting in the staging line waiting to run. It doesn’t matter what DA there is either. I had a DA of 863 when I did my runs.

I really want to believe we’re hitting some sort of bug. Even @Tom/APR1 hit 115mph on his dragy run with the FWD tune.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Wait so when I used Obdeleven to code ESC Sport to ESC OFF, I didn't finish the job? I didn't know this
All signs on my end point to “no”. OBDeleven just changes what the button sequence is, it doesn’t defeat ESC above 60mph. And top of 2nd into 3rd right around 60mph I was spinning and losing power.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
It is a bit funny that the APR employees can run all these magical times yet not a single client can......
Because they’re not sitting in a staging line for 20-30 mins. They’re just going straight into a pass on their enclosed roads after a bunch of airflow cooling the car off. They’re not hitting the same specifics we are. It’s all about circumstances. Can’t wait to see what my car does on the dragy compared to on the street and hopefully that will be more clear.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Hummm yea, that open diff sure is an issue. But typically you should still trap higher unless you were spinning all the way down the track.
I was spinning down the track, that’s exactly my point - I spun 2nd into 3rd. ESC is super annoying.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I was spinning down the track, that’s exactly my point - I spun 2nd into 3rd. ESC is super annoying
No VAQ and with which tires?

For me, the boost by gear function is pretty good, I've done this with my JB4- on a level plate with good pavement, I literally can't spin my VAQ equipped PS4S tires in 1st and 2nd- if indeed APR coded that into their tune, I can't help but think that's a good thing.

It does make you wonder why nobody else is seeing the same result APR themselves are. Are the test cars already dragstrip ready, with all ancillary parts, compared to normal daily drivers? Probably.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
No VAQ and with which tires?

For me, the boost by gear function is pretty good, I've done this with my JB4- on a level plate with good pavement, I literally can't spin my VAQ equipped PS4S tires in 1st and 2nd- if indeed APR coded that into their tune, I can't help but think that's a good thing.

It does make you wonder why nobody else is seeing the same result APR themselves are. Are the test cars already dragstrip ready, with all ancillary parts, compared to normal daily drivers? Probably.
No one else has an open differential. I’m running 245/40/18 Michelin PS4S on Neuspeed RSE10s.

60’ is exactly what I expected at 2.3, the trap is just really low. I’m getting flashing traction control light top of 2nd into 3rd even though ECS is “off” both by the button and OBDeleven app. Spinning into 3rd is definitely not something others with this setup would experience since most have some sort of differential… well, besides Mr FB street racer. But he was running a 14-sec 1/4 mile somehow so let’s just ignore he exists for now.

There are many accounts of people getting power cut by ESC, so I’m definitely not alone - I just thought OBDeleven had fixed it.

Example: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/starting-vibration-reduction.9438555/post-114781737

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I remember when people thought APR was pushing the envelope and these engines too far...

So, APR, the company to loudly shout about being the first into the 10s on a Mk7 GTI have maybe introduced a turbo with software that is programmed to start to suffocate the engine when waiting in line at the drag strip.

They paired that turbo with an ECU/TCU combo that reinstates traction control processes that enthusiasts almost unanimously immediately try to disable upon buying their cars.

Also, they've engineered tunes for two grades of pump gas and two different types of canned fuel.... So, you know, you simply buy 4 or 5 cans of GT260, drive 30 minutes to the APR dealer, pay them to flash to the canned fuel tune, then completely drain your tank, fill it with two cans of fuel, drive to the drag strip do a couple passes, top it up with another can of fuel, make some more passes, fill your tank with 10 more gallons of GT260, drive home, drive 30 mins to go back to the tuning shop the next day, pay them to flash back to your pump gas tune. Convenient and very well spent effort developing those options for the GTI.

I'm a little confused, and (at least so far today) I think it's not because of hallucinogens. I mean, probably.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion

Say you haven't even seen the rabbit hole yet, does this product deliver results on a $/power basis or is it actually a dud compared to spending similar dollars on someone else's product?
Just to be clear, my only issue with this kit so far has been the 1/4 mile performance - and all evidence is pointing to that being a result of traction control, not the turbo or the tunes.

I would still 100% recommend for a daily driver upgrade from Stage 1.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
They paired that turbo with an ECU/TCU combo that reinstates traction control processes that enthusiasts almost unanimously immediately try to disable upon buying their cars.
Where did anyone say the tune turns on traction control? To my knowledge ESC is a completely separate issue that has nothing to do with this product.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Just to be clear, my only issue with this kit so far has been the 1/4 mile performance - and all evidence is pointing to that being a result of traction control, not the turbo or the tunes.

I would still 100% recommend for a daily driver upgrade from Stage 1.

Maybe I missed it, but there hasn't really been a dyno either from a customer showing claimed power figures either.