GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Now now- don't be salty because I spent the money on a VAQ equipped carbon GTI, hold the one tire fires.

In all honesty, the wider tires could work also be contributing to spinning, depending upon the tread pattern. Wider tires don't mean more contact patch, just a different shape of contact patch. Probably helps a lot in cornering and normal spirited driving, while sacrificing some straight line grip.
Weight of the car vs PSI of the tire determines the size of the contact patch- did you remember to air them down? (honestly, I totally forgot to my first time at the track, so I drove 140 kms and got them warm and the psi high from highway drive, which definitely cost me some time on my first couple runs)
I dunno, they’re Michelin PS4S which are I feel are pretty grippy. I know my speedometer reads low because of the increased diameter, but I’ve never heard of it contributing to spin.

ESC aside there’s definitely more I could have done to mitigate the spin. I kept launching from 4k instead of dropping down to 3.5K, and I kept my tires fully inflated because I was relatively satisfied with my 60’ and wasn’t thinking about it potentially helping down the track.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
Middle of the night here because this is when I can go unnoticed for 60-130 times. With the power band shift and driving a manual I’ll leave the drag strip work for the DSG folks here lol.

Ran a bunch of runs in the same spot with stage 1 IS38 before vs DTR upgrade tonight, no fueling/mpi, same 93 Octane.

Could not even match the IS38… not sure temp/DA was far enough off to explain any of it away. I start around 45mph to have it spooled up by 60mph, pulling from 4th gear and shift to 5th at 7k, tried to do same with IS38. Also tried starting in 3rd with mixed results, Needing 2 shifts, and still worse in the end.

Tried doing some logging with OBDeleven PRO but for some reason charts is not an option under engine menu… someone help… next step will be to figure that out and do some runs before dyno.

Thoughts? Was thinking I’d be running <12.5s runs with this…

21F79914-185C-401C-854F-BBB6EB5E31A1.jpeg

4E0B8EE2-5889-401F-8068-7928903099B5.jpeg

E859C046-B88C-46CD-83E3-CAA43265D6E7.jpeg

boostnonu

Go Kart Newbie
We need to get ED to make a “I don’t give a shit about CARB tune” obviously APR has to keep so much of the stock tune BS in their tune to keep it CARB compliant. Disappointment is here but EVERYONE is still comparing this tune to the others that have free rein on what they want.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
At this point I think it’s pretty safe to say the DTR is not going to be as quick as IS38 with downpipe on any platform.

Just my opinion but APR probably didn’t release their test results to avoid drawing this very comparison. There’s no way they did extensive track testing for years and didn’t log any times… Probably just didn’t log any “marketable” times.

I get that it SHOULD be compared to IS38 with stock downpipe, but practically speaking no GTI runs that setup, and for the exact same reason DTR folks are experiencing. Under most circumstances why would you put in the effort to go big turbo and then choke it up? So although the IS38 stock downpipe comparison is fair, it’s mostly a moot point.

For GTI folks, the DTR is the best emissions compliant upgrade from Stage 1, but that’s about it.

I’ll say that coming from Stage 1 it’s definitely a lot of fun, and probably even more so if you’re like me and have never driven an IS38 car.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
No, at this point I think it’s safe to say this Turbo sucks
Wait… you’re right! Thank god someone was finally brave enough to say it.

/thread

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Here was my GTI, IS38, JB4 and stock downpipe Dyno vs modified downpipe. The lower numbers are stock downpipe. So the DTR has quite a bit more power.

56A2BDF5-34E8-477B-B885-1DDF681FBA9D.jpeg

A331AFF9-DB86-4757-99A5-FF02672ABD23.jpeg

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Here was my GTI, IS38, JB4 and stock downpipe Dyno vs modified downpipe. The lower numbers are stock downpipe. So the DTR has quite a bit more power.

View attachment 251475
View attachment 251476
Take your numbers elsewhere, the DTR sucks. It’s slower than stock and APR is defrauding it’s customers and stockholders. Also I don’t much care for your profile pic… And your father smelt of elderberries.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
The DTR upgrade is still awaiting CARB compliance, pending testing. So far for whatever reason real world results aren't much faster than the quicker spooling IS38, perhaps the stock DP just can't efficiently flow 400whp, shoot, consensus before all this blew up was the stock DP couldn't do much more than 300whp. Just barely tipping 400whp and CARB approval (hopefully) on the stock DP sounds great for marketing but the fact remains the stock DP is a bottleneck. If you push your powerband higher but lose too much area under the curve down low, in effect you haven't gained any power, only the "400whp Club Badge".

I still think this could be a decent upgrade for GTIs, but it's a harder sell for the R's. Perhaps people who don't care for CARB can buy this kit for a power bump, then later install a DP, IC, and custom tune later for a significant power bump. I'd still like to see what this turbo can do when let loose.