GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

Snowmanmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
How is this Yellow Powerflex Hybrid compare with the Yellow Powerflex insert which also fill the upper puck? I would presume the hybrid should be stiffer

Last edited:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
How is this Yellow Powerflex Hybrid compare time the Yellow Powerflex insert which also fill the upper puck? I would presume the hybrid should be stiffer

The hybrid would be stiffer, yes. In the sense that you are replacing the entire lower puck versus adding an insert, making the bottom more solid. The material used in both products is the same stiffness though.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I installed the hybrid lower puck replacement in place of 034 inserts. Before I used to have a very noticeable vibration/shudder when taking off from a standstill. It was bearable, but still... I get absolutely none of that with the Powerflex hybrid puck. I do, however, get a little bit of vibration in reverse, something I did not have with the 034 inserts. Then again, I take off from standstill more often than I go in reverse. Overall I am satisfied with the Powerflex puck. I am planning on giving the ECS pendulum arm a try.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Another convert here to speak the gospel...

Switched to the hybrid (street) tonight from my existing setup of the spulen “extreme” insert (90A and goes into the upper, so essentially the same at a bfi stage 2 insert)

I also have the stage 1 motor and the full replacement trans mount from BFI, and I can say I love this hybrid bushing SO much more and understand the hype.

For my specific setup it’s possible that having the spulen extreme with the BFI stage 1s was maybe not a good match up and was creating a “too” solid of a setup for a manual DD car, cause my nvh was super aggressive at idle and take off. Also on 1-2,2-3 shifts it was very aggressive feeling since all drivetrain actions had such little give with the bushing it’s would transmit through the whole car, so in normal daily driving I was having to modulate the clutch a little more than I liked to smooth it out. Now with this one being softer and just having so much more meat in the insert the give is soo much smoother but still direct and crisp... it’s and great match up to the engine mounts.
D848745C-4258-4F14-BC3D-A41115EAD0D2.jpeg
D40CB7C5-8293-457C-9FCD-95CE0129A2E5.jpeg

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Glad to see another convert who came from a different mounting solution. Myself coming straight from stock, I thought it was the best thing ever but I didn’t have anything else to compare it to. I’ve thought about switching to the black “race” one which is supposed to be even stiffer... My thought process was if this one is that good would the stiffer one be even better?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Damn I'm gonna have to buy one of these. Been running 034 upper and lower for a while now, got the itch to see what the other side of the fence is like.
Didn't mention above ... I was running the metal insert (upper and lower also) before I went with the spulen also, lol.

I can say that the spulen was a huge improvement over the inserts performance wise but lots more vibrations, this hybrid gives me the performance of the spulen but no where near the nvh.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Glad to see another convert who came from a different mounting solution. Myself coming straight from stock, I thought it was the best thing ever but I didn’t have anything else to compare it to. I’ve thought about switching to the black “race” one which is supposed to be even stiffer... My thought process was if this one is that good would the stiffer one be even better?

If you’re looking for “even better” replace the full subframe bushing. 😍

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you’re looking for “even better” replace the full subframe bushing. 😍

Yeah I’m considering doing that one day, along with all of the bushings in the control arms. However, being that my car is a daily and sees more miles I would be curious how long they last compared to OEM. I’m worried that what I’m gaining in feel I’m losing in longevity. And I don’t really want to replace all my bushings every 25k or so.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I installed the hybrid lower puck replacement in place of 034 inserts. Before I used to have a very noticeable vibration/shudder when taking off from a standstill. It was bearable, but still... I get absolutely none of that with the Powerflex hybrid puck. I do, however, get a little bit of vibration in reverse, something I did not have with the 034 inserts. Then again, I take off from standstill more often than I go in reverse. Overall I am satisfied with the Powerflex puck. I am planning on giving the ECS pendulum arm a try.
Thanks, was looking for this comparison. Do you have upgraded motor/trans mounts?

Have both 034 inserts now looking to switch. Not sure if I should get the hybrid puck or red Diesel insert to pair with BFI stage 1 mounts up front. Looking to lower the vibes a bit.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’ve thought about switching to the black “race” one which is supposed to be even stiffer... My thought process was if this one is that good would the stiffer one be even better?
The answer is yes - it is better, at limiting movement and maximizing power to the ground. It is also higher NVH and is advertised as not advised for street driven cars.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The answer is yes - it is better, at limiting movement and maximizing power to the ground. It is also higher NVH and is advertised as not advised for street driven cars.

It's pretty sweet. I daily my car and I think it's perfect but I came from a pretty stiff setup in my old car.