GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks, was looking for this comparison. Do you have upgraded motor/trans mounts?

Have both 034 inserts now looking to switch. Not sure if I should get the hybrid puck or red Diesel insert to pair with BFI stage 1 mounts up front. Looking to lower the vibes a bit.

I run BFI stage 1 motor mount and BFI stage 1 trans mount insert that goes inside the stock trans mount. I'm used to the vibration, and I cannot say it is anywhere near being too much. I am very interested in trying out the ECS pendulum arm now with the Powerflex based on reviews.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
So I need to replace the puck in my mount. I have the HPA mount and it's NLA. But reading from this thread the Powerflex hybrid won't work with the HPA pendulum? I no longer have the stock and would prefer keeping the HPA one.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Joined the gang today. Switched from 034 upper and lower inserts which I had ran for about 20,000 miles. I had no issues with the 034 setup, but after a short test drive with the Powerflex shifting feels smoother (6MT) and it is slightly less harsh. Overall I'm a happy customer!

PXL_20210308_231516381.jpg

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just thought I'd share my experience with mounts.

I recently swapped out my 034 motor/trans mounts and lower dog bone insert with ECS motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex hybrid puck modified to accept the 034 upper mount and ECS dogbone.

In order to use the 034 upper insert and ECS dogbone with the Powerflex hybrid puck, you'll need to carve some material out from the puck. I ended up using a Dremel to remove the material from the puck. It's tedious, but can be done. I didn't like the idea of having voids in the upper puck, especially after watching the 034 video showing the benefit of adding the upper insert.

puck with 034 top.png
puck with 034 angle.png

Next thing that needed to be modified was the aluminum "cup" that comes with the Powerflex hybrid puck. It needed to be modified so it would fit inside the ECS dogbone. I ended up milling 2 small flats on the puck insert so that it would fit inside the dogbone. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of this. Other dogbones may work without this modification, but the ECS would not.

Once these modifications were complete, the installation was straight forward. I will say it was a pain getting the lower 034 insert out of the stock mount (gravel parking lot at work and 5 years of dust don't help). After removing the 034 lower insert, I cut a notch in the stock lower puck which made it easy to remove.

IMG_0531.jpeg

After this I proceeded to replace my 034 motor and transmission mounts with ECS mounts. I got these for a great deal directly from ECS as they had been previously installed. The motor side was super easy to follow. ECS has a great video on YouTube that walks you through the install. I used a block of wood under the oil pan to support the engine while swapping the mounts. Took less than 30 minutes to swap this out.

The transmission mount is definitely tougher to replace. Again, I followed the ECS video on YouTube for this which was very helpful. It helped having a second set of hands to hold up the wiring so you can access the transmission mounting bolts that attach it to the vehicle frame. Unfortunately for me, the motor/trans shifted slightly which made hole alignment with the transmission side difficult when installing the new mount, so the second set of hands was definitely helpful.

IMG_0547.JPEG

Now for the review. 1st start after installing this setup was unnerving. The vibrations inside the cabin were startling and you could hear every noise from the motor and the transmission (6MT with HS Tuning RSR Hybrid Clutch). The vibrations and noise were downright stupid. Starting from a stop was really tricky as the clutch engagement felt completely different. I began to wonder how big of a mistake I made. But after driving it for around 100 miles, things started settling down nicely. Clutch engagement is more natural now, shifting is much more precise (not sure why this is) and the shifter slides into position and feels much more solid than before the install. The engine and transmission noise that transfers to the cabin has subsided substantially (slight increase in NVH compared to the 034 mounts but almost negligible outside of starting from a stop). The noise from the mounts is most noticeable during a cold start in the garage, as it is LOUD (I'm sure the Trackslag DP has a lot to do with that as well). But most importantly, the drivetrain now feels planted. Drivetrain slop has been greatly reduced. No noticeable rocking of the engine during power on/off throttle scenarios.

Overall I'm beyond happy with the setup.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Just thought I'd share my experience with mounts.

I recently swapped out my 034 motor/trans mounts and lower dog bone insert with ECS motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex hybrid puck modified to accept the 034 upper mount and ECS dogbone.

In order to use the 034 upper insert and ECS dogbone with the Powerflex hybrid puck, you'll need to carve some material out from the puck. I ended up using a Dremel to remove the material from the puck. It's tedious, but can be done. I didn't like the idea of having voids in the upper puck, especially after watching the 034 video showing the benefit of adding the upper insert.

View attachment 211708 View attachment 211711

Next thing that needed to be modified was the aluminum "cup" that comes with the Powerflex hybrid puck. It needed to be modified so it would fit inside the ECS dogbone. I ended up milling 2 small flats on the puck insert so that it would fit inside the dogbone. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of this. Other dogbones may work without this modification, but the ECS would not.

Once these modifications were complete, the installation was straight forward. I will say it was a pain getting the lower 034 insert out of the stock mount (gravel parking lot at work and 5 years of dust don't help). After removing the 034 lower insert, I cut a notch in the stock lower puck which made it easy to remove.

View attachment 211715
After this I proceeded to replace my 034 motor and transmission mounts with ECS mounts. I got these for a great deal directly from ECS as they had been previously installed. The motor side was super easy to follow. ECS has a great video on YouTube that walks you through the install. I used a block of wood under the oil pan to support the engine while swapping the mounts. Took less than 30 minutes to swap this out.

The transmission mount is definitely tougher to replace. Again, I followed the ECS video on YouTube for this which was very helpful. It helped having a second set of hands to hold up the wiring so you can access the transmission mounting bolts that attach it to the vehicle frame. Unfortunately for me, the motor/trans shifted slightly which made hole alignment with the transmission side difficult when installing the new mount, so the second set of hands was definitely helpful.

View attachment 211714

Now for the review. 1st start after installing this setup was unnerving. The vibrations inside the cabin were startling and you could hear every noise from the motor and the transmission (6MT with HS Tuning RSR Hybrid Clutch). The vibrations and noise were downright stupid. Starting from a stop was really tricky as the clutch engagement felt completely different. I began to wonder how big of a mistake I made. But after driving it for around 100 miles, things started settling down nicely. Clutch engagement is more natural now, shifting is much more precise (not sure why this is) and the shifter slides into position and feels much more solid than before the install. The engine and transmission noise that transfers to the cabin has subsided substantially (slight increase in NVH compared to the 034 mounts but almost negligible outside of starting from a stop). The noise from the mounts is most noticeable during a cold start in the garage, as it is LOUD (I'm sure the Trackslag DP has a lot to do with that as well). But most importantly, the drivetrain now feels planted. Drivetrain slop has been greatly reduced. No noticeable rocking of the engine during power on/off throttle scenarios.

Overall I'm beyond happy with the setup.

man I love this

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The Audi rear subframe brace will help with backup vibes.
Vibrations in reverse aren't terrible for me...maybe the 034 upper helps 🤷‍♂️?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Vibrations in reverse aren't terrible for me...maybe the 034 upper helps 🤷‍♂️?
It’s cause you still have the 3rd pedal... the reverse woes come from automatic guys as the auto transmission is putting the engine on a different load when in reverse.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It’s cause you still have the 3rd pedal... the reverse woes come from automatic guys as the auto transmission is putting the engine on a different load when in reverse.
Indeed. I had no reverse vibration with 034 inserts. Have it with powerflex. But absolutely no vibrations when starting from a stop.