GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Add me to the list of ppl who swapped the 034 Upper and Lower insert to the Powerflex hybrid. I've had the 034 inserts for ~8k mi.

They were pretty good at first. With only mild vibration/resonance when accelerating at low speeds (I'm DSG). After a few thousand miles though, engine movement starting coming back and aggressive downshifts would buck the car. I think the billet inserts starting wearing out the stock rubber bushing, as they weren't bent when I took them out.

The Hybrid puck not only controls engine movement better, it has less NVH at low speeds. There's definitely more vibration in reverse, when in park at an incline, and with AC on. This is exactly the same kind of NVH I had when I installed a poly rear motor mount in my Si. It will probably settle down quite a bit after it breaks in.

Definitely would recommend the Hybrid puck. Should have went this direction from the beginning.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Add me to the list of ppl who swapped the 034 Upper and Lower insert to the Powerflex hybrid. I've had the 034 inserts for ~8k mi.

They were pretty good at first. With only mild vibration/resonance when accelerating at low speeds (I'm DSG). After a few thousand miles though, engine movement starting coming back and aggressive downshifts would buck the car. I think the billet inserts starting wearing out the stock rubber bushing, as they weren't bent when I took them out.

The Hybrid puck not only controls engine movement better, it has less NVH at low speeds. There's definitely more vibration in reverse, when in park at an incline, and with AC on. This is exactly the same kind of NVH I had when I installed a poly rear motor mount in my Si. It will probably settle down quite a bit after it breaks in.

Definitely would recommend the Hybrid puck. Should have went this direction from the beginning.

Le sigh. Yeah I'd do it too but I have APR Plus and non-APR parts aren't approved aside from suspension and brakes. Will likely just say f**k it by like 30K at this point as I've already got an IS20 in my garage begging to be installed and the APR insert I installed initially felt like a ~40% improvement over stock, but of course as I've put about 5K miles on it it now feels 15-25% stiffer than stock depending on the day/driving scenario.

It's wild to me that APR has the development resources they have and don't have a real engine mount suite. They could make the best OEM-replacement, high-durometer rubber mounts on the market if they wanted to. People would buy them up in droves, like most products APR releases. It's bizarre to me that mounts aren't sold by APR, OR approved for APR Plus from other companies. So if you have APR Plus you're stuck with stock mounts.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I think because the GTI scene is more price conscious? But then again these mounts are all the same for the MQB cars so maybe APR will do something for the mk8/8y.

got my hybrid on order as well!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I think because the GTI scene is more price conscious? But then again these mounts are all the same for the MQB cars so maybe APR will do something for the mk8/8y.

got my hybrid on order as well!

if the MK8’s mounts are the same as the 7’s (which they likely will be bc MQB/EA888), I would really hope APR gets their heads out of their asses and provides an engine Mount solution. It would be backwards compatible with the whole Mk7 market so they’d have plenty to gain.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I wanna revive this for a minute. For those who have had the hybrid for a good while, and with the stock arm, what kinds of vibrations are you getting? And to what extent?

Im almost 2 years into the set of 034 inserts that I’m happy with, but I am getting increased vibrations traveling up the steering column that I don’t like. They’re mild until I’m off the clutch, but they cause my keys to rattle and make driving occasionally annoying.

With the hype that the hybrid gets I’m expecting it to be significantly better.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I wanna revive this for a minute. For those who have had the hybrid for a good while, and with the stock arm, what kinds of vibrations are you getting? And to what extent?

Im almost 2 years into the set of 034 inserts that I’m happy with, but I am getting increased vibrations traveling up the steering column that I don’t like. They’re mild until I’m off the clutch, but they cause my keys to rattle and make driving occasionally annoying.

With the hype that the hybrid gets I’m expecting it to be significantly better.
I have a fair amount of vibration, not enough to rattle the keys or the steering column, but I can feel it if I put my feet on the floor. It has been in for about a month.

However it went in at the same time as BFI engine and trans mount, so idk how much of the vibration is that

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I think that would be an improvement over what I’m getting right now. You’re right about the set of mounts; my stock ones are good so I’m not upgrading.

the fluidampr took off some of the takeoff vibrations but interestingly enough, also shifted them higher to about 1200 rpm.

I had a wild thought about trying to dampen the steering column at the peda where it’s visible

I guess I’ll find out forsure whenever the hybrid chooses to get shipped

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've had mine in for about a month. No other mount upgrades. Increased vibration in reverse, that's about it.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Was getting some weird vibes at an autocross yesterday, so decided to check some stuff today. I think I could the culprit.

When I installed the powerflex, I told myself I was going to upgrade the rest of the mounts down the road (knowing that the stock mounts were probably going to beat up the hybrid puck). Well, last week I finally got around to ordering the BFI transmission insert but it looks like the hybrid puck was never going to hold out that long. I'll be replacing this with another hybrid puck, and with the addition of the stiffer transmission mount I think it should be all set for a while.
PXL_20210627_194126765.jpg

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Wow. How long was it installed?
Installed in March of last year.

I can't say I'm too shocked, given the rest of the other mounts are stock (and we're freshly replaced when I did the puck). There's just too much movement in the stock mounts