GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
VAG
1611590440010.gif

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
After talking with GTI Jake, I had installed BFI Stage 1 motor mount and BFI Stage 1 trans mount insert. I have used them with a PowerFlex hybrid lower puck with a Roc-Euro bar and with a OEM dogbone. With the OE bar vibration was very low but still there a little in Drive and reverse with the AC on. It was even less with the R-E bar but in the back of my mind I could not forget the story about the transmission case damage reported. I just installed an ECS Tuning dogbone. This combination of BFI mounts, PF Hybrid and ECS dogbone is beyond amazing. There is no vibration in drive. In reverse it is barely perceivable if at all. AC-on or AC-off makes zero difference. This is with a brand new PF Hybrid and ECS dogbone. Once I get a few miles on this set-up, I fully expect to have a totally OEM-like NVH. I have had the BFI mounts for a couple months now and they have settled in beautifully, just like Jake assured me. The motor and trans feel very planted. Throttle feel is great and there is none of the rocking motion that plagues the stock set-up.

Fitting the ECS Dogbone required a couple very simple mods to the hybrid and its metal insert sleeve. The PF Hybrid's metal insert is very slightly too wide to fit between the side bars of the ECS dogbone. A couple passes on opposite sides of the insert with a file produced small flats that let the insert slip into place. These same ECS dogbone side bars also have a cross-brace running between them that the OEM dogbone does not. I had to trim a small piece off the end of each of the 2 poly ribs that sit inside the dogbone's channel because they hit the dogbone's cross-brace and prevented the dogbone from sliding all the way in. Both mods were very minor and have no effect on the function of either hybrid mount or the dogbone.

I used the 3 new bolts supplied by ECS and torqued to OE specs including the full 90* follow-up angle. After tightening the 3 bolts, I torqued the dogbones cross-bolt to 65 ft-lb per ECS's instructions.

I was expecting some NVH but was in shock when there was none. I was willing to compromise some NVH to not use the R-E bar. With the BFI mounts and PF hybrid I was and could have remained quite satisfied with the low NVH I had. However, I already had an ECS dogbone I bought a couple months ago and never used so I decided to try it. So glad I did. I feel like I have had to give up nothing NVH-wise to get much better motor/transmission control. Nothing except money, that is. LOL.

To clarify because I'm somehow lost after reading this - you're running a Poweflex hybrid lower (complete lower replacement), BFI stage 1 engine mount/stage 1 transmission mount insert (inserted into the OEM transmission mount), ECS' dogbone (as in their insert, not their pendulum mount?) and the OEM pendulum mount (you removed RocEuro's piece of shit?). Is that accurate?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
People recommend a lot of things. I'm just stating what he has on the car because it's a bit confusing with the terminology.
I understand that but want to know if you recommend staying with the stock pendulum arm?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
To clarify because I'm somehow lost after reading this - you're running a Poweflex hybrid lower (complete lower replacement), BFI stage 1 engine mount/stage 1 transmission mount insert (inserted into the OEM transmission mount), ECS' dogbone (as in their insert, not their pendulum mount?) and the OEM pendulum mount (you removed RocEuro's piece of shit?). Is that accurate?
Only thing you got wrong is the ECS Dogbone is their pendulum arm. He replaced the roc-euro pendulum arm with ECS pendulum arm.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Sorry of the confusion. Thanks for explaining.
BFI Stage 1 Motor mount.
BFI Stage 1 Trans mount insert (OEM mount modified).
PowerFlex Hybrid complete lower puck.
ECS Tuning Pendulum Arm.
New TTY bolts.

I can tell you without a doubt that this combination produced less NVH than with the Roc-Euro bar or the OEM Pendulum. It feels like OEM NVH but with a very well controlled motor and transmission.

I have posted a new thread about this to make it easier to find and added photos of the modifications of the Hybrid puck to fit the ECS Pendulum mount. Here.

Last edited:

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Sorry of the confusion.
BFI Stage 1 Motor mount.
BFI Stage 1 Trans mount insert (OEM mount modified).
PowerFlex Hybrid complete lower puck.
ECS Tuning Pendulum Arm.
New TTY bolts.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I just installed mine this morning.

I'm running the black 95duro "Race" version
Stock dogbone
Stock mounts otherwise
New TTY bolts
Car also has the Boomba short shifter installed.

I jacked all 4 corners up, with the front a little higher than the rear, and everything stayed nice and aligned. Had no problems getting everything back together. Also greased the hell out of the upper insert portion as well as most of the lower puck and it slid right home. I was able to get it fully seated by hand and the dogbone went straight back and the rear bolt threaded right in. No issues getting the front bolts threaded, just gave the motor a nudge to the rear with my right hand while I threaded the bolts with my left. No pry bar necessary.

I haven't read of anyone else running this version, which is the stiffest version, so I'll give a brief review. Initial start up was noticeably louder with more vibes, but it immediately felt like the car was more solid. Reverse was also pretty loud with the same amount of vibration as I felt at startup. Driving, there is a sort of boomy resonance in the cabin with light to moderate nvh under 2k rpm but above 2k rpm the resonance mostly goes away and the vibrations aren't nearly as noticeable. I didn't notice a huge difference from stock when idling at a stop sign, and I ran the A/C for a minute while stopped and that didn't make a big difference either. Seems like reverse and low rpm's will be what breaks people with this mount. I didn't get the car fully warmed up so I didn't hoon it but the shifts were butter. I have the boomba short shifter and the duo feel great. I'm sure it will break in some after a couple hundred miles (which will take me a month or more to do) so I can report back about any changes later.

I had a solid rear dogbone / mount in my Mazdaspeed3 and this feels very similar. More solid, a little more NVH, but very similar. I love it.

Please excuse the ridiculous holiday themed table setting.

PXL_20210130_181606975.jpg