GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket clutches vs Crank Walk

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Then don't....

Ha, fair rebuttal. My point was to rebuff the notion that MT guys downplay this. We don't. We know it's there. It's a consideration.

That's all.

I think the decision to go to the next step (clutch, DP, IC/piping/tune, TURBO) will likely be driven by financial considerations over anything else. LOL

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Ha, fair rebuttal. My point was to rebuff the notion that MT guys downplay this. We don't. We know it's there. It's a consideration.

That's all.

I think the decision to go to the next step (clutch, DP, IC/piping/tune, TURBO) will likely be driven by financial considerations over anything else. LOL
Yup, I’m of the mentality that once I started extreme modding the cars power that the funds for Incase the engine would go had to be in place and set aside first.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Any platform could suffer from crank walk. The DSM guys know about it all too well but that's still a popular platform to mod.

Considering the audience the poll results came from, I think it's definitely swinging to one extreme. Is the chance 0? Of course not. Do I really think 7 or 8 of every 100 MT GTI's crank walks at some point? No. It lies somewhere in the middle, and I'll take my chances. This is being overblown.

How come when someone misfires and it cracks a piston it's "pay to play" but when someone who upgraded to a stiffer SMF has their crank walk it's "should've bought a DSG?"

...all DSG advantages aside

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I've heard the possible culprit is cold starts with the clutch depressed, and if it could be made such that the car could start without all that stress on the unoiled crankshaft, it might help mitigate the possibility.

But that's just speculation, don'tcha know.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I've heard the possible culprit is cold starts with the clutch depressed, and if it could be made such that the car could start without all that stress on the unoiled crankshaft, it might help mitigate the possibility.

But that's just speculation, don'tcha know.
There is a thread here or on Vortex about clutchless starts and this thought process. He was able to get it to where MTs can start without clutch depression.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
There is a thread here or on Vortex about clutchless starts and this thought process. He was able to get it to where MTs can start without clutch depression.
Yeah... you quoted the guy who created that thread here, lol.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I’ve been told before the Fluidampner isn’t really necessary if your stock one is fine. Am I wrong? Or does that fluidampner really work. Or maybe that could be a culprit for not being ment for the engine

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Any platform could suffer from crank walk. The DSM guys know about it all too well but that's still a popular platform to mod.

Considering the audience the poll results came from, I think it's definitely swinging to one extreme. Is the chance 0? Of course not. Do I really think 7 or 8 of every 100 MT GTI's crank walks at some point? No. It lies somewhere in the middle, and I'll take my chances. This is being overblown.

How come when someone misfires and it cracks a piston it's "pay to play" but when someone who upgraded to a stiffer SMF has their crank walk it's "should've bought a DSG?"

...all DSG advantages aside

Well that's because the DSG folks have to make themselves feel better for buying a boring ass transmission.

Also, I wouldn't believe that bs on Facebook because it's Facebook.

Sir.Bloops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti mk7 2door se
hey. Hope this tthread is still alive

So i just got my 16 gti se upgraded with a dkm stage 2 clutch smf. I added a fluidampr because since the stock DMF acts as a NVH damper as well. I think im just going to go stage 1 with cobb. You guys think that would be safe. I dont need giant gains. Even tho my clutch is rated for 440 trq ill never tune the car to gett to that. I think its to much for a FWD car. Im hoping the stage 1 cobb wont be to much on the crank. Dunno if i will go 91 or 93 octane.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
hey. Hope this tthread is still alive

So i just got my 16 gti se upgraded with a dkm stage 2 clutch smf. I added a fluidampr because since the stock DMF acts as a NVH damper as well. I think im just going to go stage 1 with cobb. You guys think that would be safe. I dont need giant gains. Even tho my clutch is rated for 440 trq ill never tune the car to gett to that. I think its to much for a FWD car. Im hoping the stage 1 cobb wont be to much on the crank. Dunno if i will go 91 or 93 octane.

Tune it, drive it, enjoy it. Don't fret over crank walk.

If there is one thing the FRS/BRZ platform taught me early on with some of the issues that plagued it, forums are an echo chamber for those uncommon problems. You will drive yourself insane.