GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A2B Motorsports RS3 Brushless LPFP FWD & AWD

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, 8Y S3 :)
Hey guys quick question, should I be concerned about the 1/2 tank issue with these pumps from the FWD? Or should I be okay?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
People are getting starvation on GTI tanks at 1/2? I won’t do full pulls under 1/4 but I’ve never seen or heard of issue above 1/4 below 1/2.

I’ve run e70 with under 1/2 tank with the smaller 305 pump and it’s been fine on logs.
I guess we'll have to find out. I've heard its kind of 50/50.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
People are getting starvation on GTI tanks at 1/2? I won’t do full pulls under 1/4 but I’ve never seen or heard of issue above 1/4 below 1/2.

I’ve run e70 with under 1/2 tank with the smaller 305 pump and it’s been fine on logs.
Yeap. The RS3 fuel pickup is the weakness at low fill levels. And it isn't just limited to FWD. The RS3s & other MQB AWD platforms + RS3 pumps have the same issue, but the saddle tank setup limits fuel sloshing. The passenger saddle stays "more full" due to the transfer pump setup. And having less volume for the fuel to freely move around. It just happens at lower fill levels than on the FWD tank.

I don't have any issues until under 3/8 tank on flat-ish ground. And only on pump e85. I don't have any issues on pump gas it seems.
I guess we'll have to find out. I've heard its kind of 50/50.
The only reason it is 50/50 is because most people with GTIs and RS3 pumps aren't regularly running e70+ on 32-36psi + tons of timing and doing full 4th gear pulls. It is a known issue.

PAG Parts has a new solution in place. The new, A2B Protec retrofit has two potential upgrade paths. One I proposed and was tested, the other is an active siphon that "refeeds" the basket.

Working on getting a setup to test hopefully. I have had my pump for a little under a year and am on the old silver controller which has been having issues in warmer temps. Combination of the old short harness and the silver controller. Knew to limit duty early on because of the few other early adopters. Got a replacement silver controller at my own cost and it did not help. Need to get a swap to the black controller setup. Want to upgrade to the Protec while I am at it to test the starvation fix.

Also going to try and mod a stock basket finally to see if the Hydramat works on a stock RS3 pump setup in a siphon configuration.

Looking forward to not having to always try and keep the car above 3/8 of a tank. Turns out e85 burns really quick lol.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Fuel starvation issues on a 1/2 tank??? What kind of bullshit is that? Like others, heard it with 1/4 of a tank and I no better to never do any WOT pulls at that level. I guess the RS3 pump isn't that good of an option.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Need more power/grip if you're not starved I guess. Or do more turns, lol.
Well, my PagParts 525 pump never gave me any issues and I'm putting down 528 whp and so far my new PR stage 4 pump is working pretty damn good and the Proxes R888R tires give me all the grip I need on the streets.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Yeap. The RS3 fuel pickup is the weakness at low fill levels. And it isn't just limited to FWD. The RS3s & other MQB AWD platforms + RS3 pumps have the same issue, but the saddle tank setup limits fuel sloshing. The passenger saddle stays "more full" due to the transfer pump setup. And having less volume for the fuel to freely move around. It just happens at lower fill levels than on the FWD tank.

I don't have any issues until under 3/8 tank on flat-ish ground. And only on pump e85. I don't have any issues on pump gas it seems.

The only reason it is 50/50 is because most people with GTIs and RS3 pumps aren't regularly running e70+ on 32-36psi + tons of timing and doing full 4th gear pulls. It is a known issue.

PAG Parts has a new solution in place. The new, A2B Protec retrofit has two potential upgrade paths. One I proposed and was tested, the other is an active siphon that "refeeds" the basket.

Working on getting a setup to test hopefully. I have had my pump for a little under a year and am on the old silver controller which has been having issues in warmer temps. Combination of the old short harness and the silver controller. Knew to limit duty early on because of the few other early adopters. Got a replacement silver controller at my own cost and it did not help. Need to get a swap to the black controller setup. Want to upgrade to the Protec while I am at it to test the starvation fix.

Also going to try and mod a stock basket finally to see if the Hydramat works on a stock RS3 pump setup in a siphon configuration.

Looking forward to not having to always try and keep the car above 3/8 of a tank. Turns out e85 burns really quick lol.
For me it sort of sucks, I want to try and send my unit in, but I also don't want to spend another $500 :(

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
fp.png

From one of the facebook groups earlier today. I guess if you're having issues, it's from "kinking"?