GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A2B Motorsports RS3 Brushless LPFP FWD & AWD

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
So my half-*ssed attempt at finding a new, VAG fuel controller for Walboro pumps turned into me getting an A2B Motorsports RS3 Brushless LPFP. $950 for a brushless low pressure fuel pump and controller. I wanted to make a separate thread due to a lot of the posts being buried in my previous one.

https://www.a2bmotorsport.net/a2brs...ort-rs3-brushless-fuel-pump-retrofit-kit.html

I did the install this morning. Took an hour going slooooow and was very straight forward. I recommend getting a depin tool or kit. I will link the one I bought. I would make sure you have around a 1/8 - 1/4 full tank. I had mine down to 3% fill level read from OBDEleven (0 miles left to go). It took 3-4 starts to run down the pressure from the LPFP. My fuel level was low enough after that I needed to add some fuel from a can at home to get it to run and not die out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075TY8BGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I placed the new machined fitting into the stock fuel tank hose prior to inserting the basket. While holding that out of the tank, I inserted the RS3 float first pointing towards the driver's side of the car. Then I rotated the basket/top hat and installed the machined fitting into the connector on the basket. I then rotated the assembly the rest of the way so that the top hat tab seated in the same, rear-most location that the stock pumps seated. It took a little jostling and positioning to get the pump to seat on the seal just right. Took a little bit to compress it as well, but maybe 5-10lbs of force. Hardly anything. Reinstall the stock retention ring ensuring that the seal is seating appropriately.

I then depinned the wires out of the old the old top hat connector. I depinned mine fully. That way you don't have an empty connector sitting in the area above the pump to manage. I just used a loose bend radius and taped them back on the new 6-pin top hat connector/old BCM harness. Instructions for depin into the provided 6-pin connector below (this plugs into the RS3 top hat):

Brown/blue wire: Pin 1
Purple/Black Pin 3
Purple/White Pin 5

I ran the 6-pin fuel controller connector/cables and ground lug up through the rubber boots/seal in the LPFP cover. I cut a slit in it, and removed a little bit of the flange for the LPFP cover boot/seal. I might go back and remove some more material so it doesn't deflect and seats better, but I am sure my mod is fine as it is.

I installed the seat with the controller underneath just fine. Not sure if that is alright. Will clarify that one with Billy.

All primed well on first start. This pump is just as quiet as the stock unit. Now on to my euro manifold and MPI kit. Then Vortex time. I will follow up after I get my tank refilled and do some logs. Interested to see what duty looks like, and if I can turn it down significantly.

I will confidently say that I am more than happy with paying sub-$1000 for a pump that is out of a vehicle with 5 cylinders, and has OTS e85 tunes available from the likes of Unitronic that can push 600+ HP (take a look at the required upgrades, an LPFP is not one of them). A fuel line upgrade is required on the MQB platforms, but big deal that is $100. I especially appreciate the fact that A2B does not try and hide the fact that this is a stock RS3 pump and an off the shelf VAG controller.

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-RS3-8V-25TFSI-2018-2018-stage2-e85

IMG_20200829_101820546_HDR.jpg IMG_20200829_101826053_HDR.jpg IMG_20200829_101834852_HDR.jpg IMG_20200829_130354062_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
epic win, i love that it is OEM vag parts also so you know they will be crazy reliable.

And if you need replacement parts. Can quickly find a used fuel controller or used LPFP. Or brand new for that matter, just order from a dealership. No custom parts or lead times. Even the connectors/pins.

Billy doesn't hide what he sells. That is why I was more than happy to pay a more than reasonable price for the kit. This kit saves me from hacking apart a fuel pump and buying an expensive controller. I have two littles, so even finding an hour to work on my car is hard to come by.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
And if you need replacement parts. Can quickly find a used fuel controller or used LPFP. Or brand new for that matter, just order from a dealership. No custom parts or lead times. Even the connectors/pins.

Billy doesn't hide what he sells. That is why I was more than happy to pay a more than reasonable price for the kit. This kit saves me from hacking apart a fuel pump and buying an expensive controller. I have two littles, so even finding an hour to work on my car is hard to come by.

yeah, if I'd known about this I would have gone with this for sure over my pagparts 450

Reactions: MSH

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I was also looking into the DIY RS3 pump route....I figured out most of it. But for this price I will just be getting this setup as well. More than likely doing the DIY route I'd be pulling the thing out a couple times to fix who knows what. Well worth paying a little extra to have it (more or less) plug n play, no drama, and nice harness etc.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
yeah, if I'd known about this I would have gone with this for sure over my pagparts 450

Agreed. I dropped $950 on the Pag 535 complete LPFP and then another $525 on a used PM4 right before this came out.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
It will be interesting to see how this pump pans out. I have received one report that "there were flow issues above 550whp". A2B claims the pump to be rated at 500hp and I have no doubt it would push that. If it makes it to 550whp, that would be directly in line with running a stock LPFP on an RS3 on e60-e85 at ~620whp. Not likely I will hop on a dyno in the next year or two, but will be happy to share logs if possible.

MPI this weekend. Then a little experimenting with MPI on the IS20 before the Vortex is installed.

Car throws a couple of soft codes for open circuit for the fuel controller and two others. Gonna explore those a bit, but fuel delivery has been the same as the stock pump. I am limited by my stock HPFP currently thus the MPI install.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah my buddy has Unitronic Stage 1+ E85 and he had a code for "low fuel pressure" the other day, but otherwise running strong. He didn't datalog or anything, so no idea how severe it was, but not enough for the car to cut out or anything and still trapping 120+ in 1/4. That's supposed to be 592bhp, low 500whp range we'll call it. That was on E80 actual fuel content. He's gonna tone it down a bit to E65 or whatever. That checks with what you posted and what's advertised for this pump.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah my buddy has Unitronic Stage 1+ E85 and he had a code for "low fuel pressure" the other day, but otherwise running strong. He didn't datalog or anything, so no idea how severe it was, but not enough for the car to cut out or anything and still trapping 120+ in 1/4. That's supposed to be 592bhp, low 500whp range we'll call it. That was on E80 actual fuel content. He's gonna tone it down a bit to E65 or whatever. That checks with what you posted and what's advertised for this pump.

Thanks for the heads up. That is great information. I wonder if he was out of injector in the stock MPI in the RS3 or if the LPFP was running out of steam.

I'll be on the dyno next week for remote tune by EQT. We'll see how this pump performs. I'm XL, MPI, 5 bar MAP/4 bar PUT, A2B LPFP, 6AN fuel line and E85.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear your results.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
The code was P0087, low rail pressure intermittent. I think that is a "generic" code, not a manufacturer specific one, so maybe its was talking about DI rail pressure.....I'm not 100 percent sure. So maybe his MPI injectors are maxed out and taxing the DI side too much like you said.

Going to RS3 Unitronic Stage 2 E85 only requires MPI injector upgrade, they say LPFP is fine for that level. Advertised 621 bhp.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
Yes, with the limited knowledge around this pump and from the people that had it installed they mentioned they believed it to be plug-and-play. In my case, I will be tuned for it so no problem going forward. But, for those that weren’t aware I am confirming you will need a tune for it.

Edit: I don’t want to give false information until I get this figured out. In contact with A2B, see my below post.

Last edited:

RTFM

Ready to race!
Yes, with the limited knowledge around this pump and from the people that had it installed they mentioned they believed it to be plug-and-play. In my case, I will be tuned for it so no problem going forward. But, for those that weren’t aware I am confirming you will need a tune for it.
Based on you’re experience though, you could take it easy until it gets tuned and it would be fine though, correct?