GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A2B Motorsports RS3 Brushless LPFP FWD & AWD

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
The EQT MPI tunes use closed loop lowside fuel pressure control. The pump only runs long enough to hit whatever the programmed desired lowside fuel pressure is, not x seconds or whatever like it is stock. The MPI fuel pressure sensor lets you enable this neat feature built into the ECU.

Not necessarily EQT related, but rather closed vs open loop.
Would this be the reason why LFP requested vs actual don't follow?

Meaning. stock FPC requested @ idle is 5 bar, actual is usually +/- 0.5 bar
This may/may not be the case for a stock FPC+525 LPFP tune as well, but my RS3 LPFP idles at 3.6 bar +/- 0.1 bar without any inclination to chase requested.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Hard to say without really knowing what's going on with the tune or log. Personally I haven't messed around too much with it yet-- I have yet to install my RS3 pump. But I will be doing my own tuning and have intentions to do a deep dive into it at some point. On a stock tune or tune that doesn't use use this logic...there's still a "desired fuel pressure" table with values in it, but its never referenced of course. The duty will just follow the open loop table.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Is the programming any different for the new smaller controller compared to the silver one? Mounting is impossible in an S3. The way the guy from A2B shows to tuck it behind the panel in the Golf platform does not work in an S3. Not at all.
I’m about to buy the entire kit just for the controller and then sell with my silver one that’s brand new

Is the silver one not meant to be exposed to the elements?

Last edited:

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Well shame on me for not taking photos but I fit it on top of the tank partially where the factory one was. Everything fit on an angle. I had some pieces of foam that have adhesive backing to keep it from touching or rattling on the body. Only wire coming up through the boot is the ground. Crazy how small that factory one is. If you wanted to cut off the mounting tabs it would fit even nicer

Attachments

• A4FFE60A-F60B-4D73-880F-51B152E7AE3B.jpeg
    A4FFE60A-F60B-4D73-880F-51B152E7AE3B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Is the programming any different for the new smaller controller compared to the silver one? Mounting is impossible in an S3. The way the guy from A2B shows to tuck it behind the panel in the Golf platform does not work in an S3. Not at all.
I’m about to buy the entire kit just for the controller and then sell with my silver one that’s brand new

Is the silver one not meant to be exposed to the elements?
Is there no room behind the panel in an S3? I'm gonna install this on my A3 soon.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Is there no room behind the panel in an S3? I'm gonna install this on my A3 soon.
Hell no. Maybe if you’re ok with it looking like something is obviously behind it. Because it makes the panel stick out. It fits on top of the tank just fine.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I have had this controller underneath my seat since August. I have had zero issues. Got my pump well before the longer harness was available.

Have been running both pump and full e85.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Meaning. stock FPC requested @ idle is 5 bar, actual is usually +/- 0.5 bar
This may/may not be the case for a stock FPC+525 LPFP tune as well, but my RS3 LPFP idles at 3.6 bar +/- 0.1 bar without any inclination to chase requested.

Interesting to hear this, I have the veyron pump and it idles anywhere between 4 and 5bar, requested will go between 6 and 7 bar. With load or cruising actual either matches or exceeds requested. Started looking at it after I started getting a lot more long starts with a fuel delivery error code. (UM tuned fwiw).

I have mine crammed in between the tank and the seat and I think the wiring situation has contributed to some of the codes I've seen in the past. Doesn't help that the porsche (silver) controller came wired backwards and had to be re-pinned at least once.

Anyone have experience with the PM5 yet?

Also, does anyone know if the A2B brushless setup includes a check valve? The E5LM does not and it's a little annoying.

Madian49

Car(s)
Vw gti mk7
Aaronc7 hit the nail on the head earlier. They worked with Ed to lower the duty cycle tables as it was bugging out the controller.

There is the answer for anyone experiencing this and I’m sure EQT is aware going forward now. Credit to A2B for the good work to quickly figure this out.
So it wasn’t the pump it was the tune because man I’ve check over everything even changed plugs and all

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Interesting to hear this, I have the veyron pump and it idles anywhere between 4 and 5bar, requested will go between 6 and 7 bar. With load or cruising actual either matches or exceeds requested. Started looking at it after I started getting a lot more long starts with a fuel delivery error code. (UM tuned fwiw).

I have mine crammed in between the tank and the seat and I think the wiring situation has contributed to some of the codes I've seen in the past. Doesn't help that the porsche (silver) controller came wired backwards and had to be re-pinned at least once.

Anyone have experience with the PM5 yet?

Also, does anyone know if the A2B brushless setup includes a check valve? The E5LM does not and it's a little annoying.
On load mine shoots up to 4.7 to 6.5+ bar as needed and without delay.

I am also UM tuned and using the silver controller. I actually asked why idle so low vs OEM controller where requested and actual chase and was told it is preferred to idle low vs high. That MPI is non funtional then. That programming is to not chase requested, at least on idle. Issues arise at 2 bar so I am far from that. Preferred WOT is 6.5 bar. Issues arise at under 5 bar. My idle duty is 30%.

40% rendered 8 bar at idle
35% rendered 7.2 bar at idle.

Regardless of pressure, I get the feeling the RS3 pump is able to flow a lot with less effort. Duty, pressure, what have you. Even vs my old Walbro 535. Fuel filter efficiency might have something to do with that.

The lower pressure might also have to do with programming where the HPFP is not closing because the LPFP is feeding too much, unnecessarily.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
On load mine shoots up to 4.7 to 6.5+ bar as needed and without delay.

I am also UM tuned and using the silver controller. I actually asked why idle so low vs OEM controller where requested and actual chase and was told it is preferred to idle low vs high. That MPI is non funtional then. That programming is to not chase requested, at least on idle. Issues arise at 2 bar so I am far from that. Preferred WOT is 6.5 bar. Issues arise at under 5 bar. My idle duty is 30%.

40% rendered 8 bar at idle
35% rendered 7.2 bar at idle.
Weird, I thought they had more fine-grained control of MPI than that. It seems like my issues are just annoying then, my numbers all sound fine based on those guidelines. Again, appreciate the info.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Weird, I thought they had more fine-grained control of MPI than that. It seems like my issues are just annoying then, my numbers all sound fine based on those guidelines. Again, appreciate the info.
hmm. MPI...
That is another interesting one.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
So it wasn’t the pump it was the tune because man I’ve check over everything even changed plugs and all
The old silver controller actually maxed out the RS3 pump around 94% duty (not sure if the newer controller has a similar issue). The silver controller did not like the signal received above 94% from the ECU/BCM so it caused odd behaviors/fuel cuts. Rail pressure would vary drastically in the log instead of dropping linearly over a pull.

In regards to MPI control, I am sure there are a large number of tables to control in the SIMOS options. Pretty sure most tuners use the "stock" torque control & split tables. The stock, ROW cars activate MPI at idle and turned off the MPI injectors once the car is moving. Both low torque and high torque tables are available.

I am sure UM is using the same logic as Eurodyne. They activate MPI at a "minimum" torque that is being requested by the ECU. In my case, it is at 300-350Nm. Then set a super high value in the maximum table to prevent the MPI from turning off the injectors. Stock ROW logic is more than likely activate MPI injectors at 0-50Nm. MPI then functions at idle and droping to idle (active 0-50Nm as well as 50-0Nm).

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah, I can tell you that EQT for example sets the enable torque to a much lower value, but then uses the split tables to bring in the MPI more gradually, vs just a static 50% or 60% value or whatever. In my experience this is better/smoother, less of an AFR spike when MPI kicks in etc. You also get more MPI valve cleaning action at lower throttles which I like too.

One of these days I will try to create a good open loop duty table for RS3 pump, when I finally get around to installing it and vortex turbo. Should be able to log target pressure, actual pressure, and the closed loop logic w/ a histogram to figure out a good "open loop" table for a given target table. Seems like the closed loop control is good though and most people dont need to fiddle with it too much.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I can tell you that EQT for example sets the enable torque to a much lower value, but then uses the split tables to bring in the MPI more gradually, vs just a static 50% or 60% value or whatever. In my experience this is better/smoother, less of an AFR spike when MPI kicks in etc. You also get more MPI valve cleaning action at lower throttles which I like too.

One of these days I will try to create a good open loop duty table for RS3 pump, when I finally get around to installing it and vortex turbo. Should be able to log target pressure, actual pressure, and the closed loop logic w/ a histogram to figure out a good "open loop" table for a given target table. Seems like the closed loop control is good though and most people dont need to fiddle with it too much.
That is not a half bad idea. I might mess around with that in the torque table. I don't think ED has a split table if I am not mistaken.

I did lower my pump gas file to 300Nm flat. Seems to be a decent static value. Might do the same with my ethanol file. No real reason I suppose you shouldn't leverage the cleaning aspect.