GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3dr GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
How did you download the KITT stuff on your radio - I like it

I just googled the images and saved them to the SD card... The Discover Pro has an option to show a slide show or photos... TaDar!!! Pretty funny when you first show the car off to friends... They're like WTF!!!

Glad you've enjoyed reading it... I did with others on here while I waited for the day, just trying to ease the pain for those who's day is yet to come! Sounds like you've got a lot of fun coming your way... Enjoy [emoji12]

Dogger71

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks - that is pretty cool and I will follow in your footsteps! Thanks I will update mine on friday……until then - happy miles!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Mode Test 3 Results

Mode: Normal
A/C: on set at 18c
Fuel type: BP Ultimate Diesel
Price: 44.00 l @ £1.399/l
Start date: 30/08/14
Finish date: 00/09/14

Total miles: 434 mi
Average mph: 38 mph
Hours run: 11:27 h
Average mpg: 47.3 mpg

Well another tank of fuel has been reclaimed by the atmosphere, results from driving in normal mode are displayed above! Conclusion Eco is like dragging a big anchor from the back of your car, so don't do it! And I pay too much for fuel, normal mode is called that because you should be in it normally! Out of interest I have refilled with Shell Vpower as my week will mirror my normal mode usage, this will give a rough comparison to the different fuels on offer! Again I've lost the receipt, although I found the BP (normal mode) dated 30/08/14 maybe I'll get lucky again!!!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
It's not true! #bullshit

There is a rumour that you can't lock your keys inside your car with the keyless system... You can and I have done it!!!

My car is now abandoned in a railway siding until my spare set arrive via the post. As it happens the sidings are next to a VW garage whose only advice was to smash a window!?! I said it can wait... They were kind enough to accept delivery of my crisis package from her indoors, lets hope it arrives tomorrow!!! Everything is in there... Wallet, phone, hotel room key, try getting hold of your 16digit bank card number if you don't know it... Impossible! #ballache

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FxM-fN0xLAE

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
Rotten luck, how did you manage to do that ?
You would think it was impossible.
Is there possibly a malfunction with the system ?

Cheers,

Terry

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Hi,
Rotten luck, how did you manage to do that ?
You would think it was impossible.
Is there possibly a malfunction with the system ?

More a case of stupidity... I was under the impression that they couldn't be locked in but never actually tested it with spare keys near by! More the fool me... As I closed the boot I just knew what had happened as I did the thigh pat dance and a big sigh!
As for a malfunction I'm not even sure it's a function of the keyless system... Just keep your keys on you seems to be the answer... Semi keyless!
Oh... I got in the very next day as my keys were sent to the VW dealer near by... I've not been stood there since September (incase anybody was wondering)

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Good news Golf Enthusiasts I actually cleaned my car (well the lads at the local drive through car wash did!) yesterday... It was filthy! I've got my six month check on Thursday so thought I'd better make an effort! Forgot how good they looked... Might even tackle the interior today which has never seen a vacuum... The leather seats are holding up well from poodle prints, the dog LOVES the heated seats by the way, which is a winner as it stops her from from trying to drive!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Darkness has cloaked the UK as opposed to summer when I was excitingly active on this forum. That being said I never really had much of an opinion on the lights, however that's all changed. The Bi-Xenon headlights are great from the moment they flick about on activation giving you a satisfied feeling you're in a gadget filled car, more importantly they offer fantastic illumination of the road ahead. I'm a little bit in love with the High Beam Assist as it automatically dips for on coming cars (I can see the Audi matrix system being a addition on the MK8) not sure which option is responsible for the swinging around corners but I love that to! The Golf MK7 oozes class beyond its price range which is only magnified by the interior lights. The ambient lighting is a dream giving you a real connection to the car when street lights are absent, my last motor never even had the handy personal spot lights so my misses can constantly rummage about in her bag without a distracting glare! The White strip lighting in the doors is especially tasteful and often an envious sideways glances while in car parks, the GTIs I assume are red and reminiscent of an Amsterdam side street so they may get more unwanted attention!

Seeing as it's been a while... Last night I had a good run up the motorway (freeway for our American cousins, wow you totally out number us on here now!) Some joker in a red hatchback (raining so didn't notice but not a VW, nuff said!) took grievance with being passed and decided to sit up my ass while in traffic, as soon as a clear run appeared Sport Mode was swiftly selected with a tap down on the paddle shift, boom theses cars can move I won't mention speeds as not to incriminate myself! Only learnt this recently as I refuse to read the tedious instructions in the hand book... But if you hold down the right paddle after you've been playing it returns you to the correct automatic gear for more hassle free motoring!

Another feature I use often is the girlfriend silencer, a.k.a dual climate control... Simply put hers up to full heat in combination with her heated seat while yours is set to a crisp 17c and watch her nod off to uncontrollable and fidgeting sleep! #winner She woke only to moan about me passing cars, which I explained were parked! #morepoints

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Work hired me 1.2 manual Mk7 this weekend. At 12k cheaper than my GTD you can see where the money has gone, didn't impressed me much... Train next time!

Best place for it... Abandoned under a bridge!

Action shot! No way would the GTD be going here!!!

Told my lass it was for Christmas matching Golfs... She didn't bite! Would likely be happier with the food mixer anyway!

James75

Go Kart Champion
On the GTD on average in real world journeys you will get 45 - 50 mpg. Of course you can get more or even less but I suspect this is its real world mpg.

The GTD is about half the cost of my California Beach and only a bit more expensive than the underpowered Polo i ran whilst waiting for he GTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevo

Ready to race!
The real truth is that the official stats are designed to ensure low co2 and thus tax etc.

To have a car that will do 0-60 in around 7 secs and still get 50mpg is a work of genius.

If you want 60+ mpg you either drive everywhere at 50mph or drive like miss daisy although that's pretty much it.

So if you want 60+mpg you are in the wrong car. We all know that the manufacturer stats are not totally true in real life so the best thing todo is enjoy a great car which returns really decent mpg whilst being cool and fun or buy beige trousers and a jumper sell the GTD and buy a Prius.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
My ACC failed today... I've become quite accustomed to enjoying the hassle free benefits whilst in stop start traffic. The car in front a Kia so not likely fitted with a bond type clocking device kept disappearing...

Maybe bond drives these now... Government cut backs!!

It eventually packed in all together resulting in me having to take a more active control of the vehicle!!!! I know WTF that involves braking and accelerating...

Kia's cloaking device jammed my VW's radar to the point of malfunction!

The book suggest turning the engine off and on again (very technical) and checking the radar for cleanliness! If it still fails to take it in for servicing ASAP!

Looks clean to me... In fact possibly the cleanest part of the car!

Still the on/off technique seems to have cleared the problem... But with only 6 months in a problem that will play on the mind while allowing a car to brake and accelerate for you!!! Doesn't take much to nock the faith in technology... And with the anticipation of it all going wrong the question stands what's the point?

apoc_reg

Passed Driver's Ed
My GTD is only averaging about 39mpg so far which I'm less than impressed with, my A3 2.0 tdi black edition was at lease 10mpg better off.

Very curious to read on your tests that eco is less efficient, how can that be, isn't that what its designed for!?

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Very curious to read on your tests that eco is less efficient, how can that be, isn't that what its designed for!?

My Car was in ECO for the whole duration of the test... I can only assume it's a right time and place function., cruising on a motorway (freeway). In stop start traffic it was awful, really felt very rough! My advice is if you've bought a GTI/D don't bother with it... Pretty sure R's don't have it!

James75

Go Kart Champion
I don't think any of the modes make much difference, I think it depends how you drive the car. That might seem obvious but MPG doesn't change with different modes

If you're averaging 39 that's unfortunate, the GTD is a 45+ car. Probably between 45 and 55. I drove back to Essex from Devon at the weekend and I drove in Eco, got the same MPG as when I did the trip in normal.

Eco could be worse if the driving conditions mean the car has to work harder, that's if there is less available in Eco mode

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk