GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3dr GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
The dog does what it likes!!! Even try's to drive sometimes but in the main hangs it's head out of the window or makes snail trails over the window if A/C is on!!! Yep love that noodle... :)

Soulman B

Ready to race!
Stonefish 74 You made me PMSL, but the car looks brill, you have most of the options that I have selected. Wishing you all the best with your GTD.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Lol... Still at it only on half a tank... I've been on a holiday in Spain! I don't wanting to spoil the surprise but it's not looking very good MPG!?!

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Over a month I have endured the Eco mode in the name of stubbornness! This afternoon however I finally got to hear the eagerly awaited ping followed by a demand over the infotainment screen that the GTD was thirsty and wanted me to take it for a refill asap! Why so excited about pumping in another £65? So I could press that mode button a get it back into Sport!
The Eco function gives the GTD and I expect the GTI the feeling of being broken, labouring up hills in high gears and coasting about! I have to confess I’ve even taken trains and opted for healthy walks in preference to driving places! Needless to say no matter what the results of the next two modes (Sport then Normal) I won’t be Eco’in again anytime soon! Results Below…

IMG_3546.JPG
Mode: Eco
A/C: on set at 18c
Fuel type: BP Ultimate Diesel
Price: £67.57 @ 1.469 £/l
Start date: 18/07/14
Finish date: 20/08/14

Total miles: 326 mi
Average mph: 19 mph
Hours run: 17:40 h
Average mpg: 34.5 mpg

Spent a lot of time in stop start A road traffic for this tank of fuel, not jaw dropping MPG but certainly better than similar conditions I’ve experienced, think the Toyota would have been lucky to get over 200 miles! I refulled and travelled home via some traffic free country roads, the noise increase, responses and the gear squeezing from the sport mode is like having a new car! This is the only reason to Eco yourself once in a while, as a reset for your funometer! :D

Last edited:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I have only played with Sport. I drive mine in normal. And TBH I prefer normal, unless I feel like going for an Italian tune up on the windy stuff :D.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Mode Test 2 Results

IMG_3725.JPG

Mode: Sport
A/C: on set at 18c
Fuel type: BP Ultimate Diesel
Price: £65.21 @ 1.449 £/l
Start date: 20/08/14
Finish date: 30/08/14

Total miles: 363 mi
Average mph: 22 mph
Hours run: 16:45 h
Average mpg: 38.8 mpg

Well Sport mode certainly got me in my car a lot more often, and the miles per gallon were better than Eco (win win for the fun button!). Going to try the Normal mode next… (I can hear the gasps of excitement!) after that my curiosity will likely be satisfied! Sadly I lost my receipt for the next tank… I have no idea what I do with them, I used the Discover Pro Nav to locate another BP to keep the fuels comparable and I’m sold on the falsehood that Nectar Points are worth collecting!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Firstly the wheel - Ouch !

Secondly who are you buying your diesel from Dick Turpin? 1.449 / litre is scandalous.

Looking at your average MPG it's quite clear the BP Ultimate just isn't worth it. I'm stunned your MPG is so bad in eco mode. I never use eco mode because as you say it really takes the edge of the performance. My 140 TDI had bigger balls

I run mine of Asda's finest diesel and I get around 45 MPG paying between 129.7 and 133.9 / litre. Best MPG so far is 47.7

Got a trip from Bury to Gatwick return this coming week so I'm interested to see what the MPG is like for that.

pango1in

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting my GTD this month. Been following your story and fuel tests with interest.

I'm not surprised that you got better economy with sport mode, but in my experience with the 150PS TDI, it takes waaaay longer then 1000km to run in the engine. I'm thinking more like 10,000 miles. You may still expect a mpg improvement tank-on-tank.

Still not overly happy with the mpg, or the number of re-gens, but I can regularly get over 50-55mpg going to work, so it's not all bad.

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
I don't drive with fuel economy in mind! I've already done 236 miles on the normal tank (mainly motorway miles) and I'm at 46.9mpg! Eco struggles with day to day running like I said felt like something was broken... Best avoided!

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting my GTD this month. Been following your story and fuel tests with interest.

I'm not surprised that you got better economy with sport mode, but in my experience with the 150PS TDI, it takes waaaay longer then 1000km to run in the engine. I'm thinking more like 10,000 miles. You may still expect a mpg improvement tank-on-tank.

Still not overly happy with the mpg, or the number of re-gens, but I can regularly get over 50-55mpg going to work, so it's not all bad.

Have you seen my thread on GTD MPG? Mine works out brim to empty 48.9 mpg. But I f I have a tank full of fun 46 mpg :D.

I drive mine in normal 99.9 of the time.

Hth's,

Rappy:cool:

Last edited:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I have never rated the so called performance fuels.

Stick with premium fuel, not supermarket fuel as you will get the manufacturers additives added, with the so called tried & tested mpg gains.

I use Shell diesel and that suits me fine.

Dogger71

Passed Driver's Ed
Stonefish:
Man, it was great to read your first post, then it was like a book I couldn't put down, it is great to see that you are enjoying your new ride…..THIS VW thing is like a drug of some sort!! I looked around the US for what I wanted, after a week of searching dealers from across the country, finally found it only 500 miles in another state…..since it arrived almost a week ago…I haven't had the chance to drive it yet as I made the painful decision to wait and get it all dressed up before I enjoyed it…
The shop that is helping me dress her up is having fun playing with the new girl…there aren't too many over in states yet only a handful here in my state so they are learning as they go on it….I have gone and visited her only once as I don't want to bother the team of guys working on her……sounds like a surgery or something!

Your excitement and your posts as you have been enjoying your new ride makes me feel like a young kid waiting for Christmas as it is fun….and hard….to wait to enjoy my ride as well.

Congrats once again, car is beautiful in Silver….Glad you are loving it and keep it clean….no dogs in my car :)

PS - How did you download the KITT stuff on your radio - I like it