GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3dr GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
I've been scanning this forum daily since I recently ordered a GTD. I’m getting excited watching others collect and show off their new Golfs and just wanted to get involved. My misses is sick of me pointing at cars as we drive about, today I received a look of despair as a Night Blue R cruised past, yesterday as we walked through a beautiful park I only paused to take in a 3dr Oryx White GTI in the car park! The VW tracker says I have a confirmed production week commencing 18/05/2014 which was a pleasant surprise as the dealer expected a much later date!

I've ordered a 3dr Golf GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver, 18" wheels, Leather, DNS PRO, Dynaudio, High Beam Assist, DDC, Keyless, Rear view camera, Winter Pack, Sport and Sound pack, Floor Mats… and now I’ve added Mud Flaps as a result of forum activity and photos!

I went a little over the top with the gadgets (if that's even possible) as I tried to level out the playing field between the models. I was torn between the GTD and an R… Eventually the boy in me lost out, but I'm on my way to getting the mix of mpg, playfulness and style I've wanted for so long! The difference from my current car will be amazing. I've been driving a Toyota Corolla TSport for the last 12years so deserve all of the treats VW can offer after enduring such a terrible plastic interior and fuel efficiency. The TSport sits at about 4-6k revs and burns money at around 25mpg if lucky, so my debit card will enjoy this change almost as much as me! A notable difference will be a radio/music the Toyota's broke about 6 years ago when I tried to fit and iPod device resulting in nothing to listen to other than horrendous road noise, creaking, squeaky brakes and my other half... hence the Dynaudio pack!

I think I should be receiving my GTD around the end of June (maybe later!) with a 4-5week wait from production to dealer handover. I’ve now got two months of keyboard bashing and reading of posts, so keep them coming… I can’t wait to be the guy publishing the photos and getting to the bottom of this Sport and Sound pack business... I like my dealer had no idea what it was, so I said f@#k it just add it!!!

GC854

Ready to race!
It must feel like all your Christmases are going to land in a heap Stonefish. I didn't have to wait long for my car but this forum certainly stoked the excitement. First time too that I have joined a forum of any sort but the car is just great.

I look forward to reading about your new ownership journey and if the car lives up to your expectations. If nothing else it's going to be a huge leap from your Toyota.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
The Purchasing Experiance

Still here and still waiting... I've seen some further post that are making me crazy with excitement!

Thought I would share my purchasing experience as I wasn't impressed overall if I'm totally honest! The main reason was the lack of interest from my local dealer, whom I first approached in November. I had just been offered a new career after a long spell in the Military so had decided that it was time to treat myself to a new car as a job well done, hey life is short!

I turned up in my Toyota Corolla battle damaged from 12 years hard driving, scratches dents and squeaky brakes to find a young sales assistant sitting at his desk next to a shiny red GTI... This was the car I originally wanted but silver with leather and PP option. I did however know the R was on the horizon and when options were added up the price of Leather wasn't too far from 4 wheel drive and 300bhp! I decided to holdback, my new job didn't start till March so time to enjoy some quality time off and wait for an R!

March came and I had given my details in November stating I wanted more information on the R... Nothing came, no follow up emails, phone calls or invitations to see to my surprise a White R sat in the showroom! Not sure why I had been labeled as a time waster, or how you can just ignore leads if your job is in sales... Especially at 35k! This time I was sat down at a desk and offered a coffee... I took great pleasure in pointing out the young buck who dismissed my interest after a lengthy excuse and reassurance that it must have been a salesman that had left in the winter... I said it was him, the guy stood by the Beetle!

My mind had been changed in the months waiting for a call... and the R dream had passed. I had endured another MOT on the Corolla costing me more than I cared to spend. I had also given great thought to what I really wanted in a car and the GTD had come out on top! My local dealer still failed to assist, again I was promised a call, text or email when a GTD was available to test drive, being my first diesel I wanted to be double sure this was for me!

A month passed and nothing... Now with new pay cheques in the bank I though screw it will get one from anywhere... My friend sells used cars and has a servicing garage he recommend an online broker that cuts the bull and gives you a decent deal on new cars... It called me back quickly with a deal worth around 8% they also arranged a dealer to call me that would honour the offer. I told them I wanted a test drive so that was a must! It was arranged and they called... It was only my local dealer with a GTD in stock I could take out!!

Long and short I have no idea what the reason for not following up the lead... I went in tested drove the GTD and loved it! I was so annoyed at the way I had been ignored I was tempted to go else where for the order, but the car was what I wanted, convenient and with 8% off paid for the leather amongst other toys!

Last edited:

Chr15b

Ready to race!
I had a similar experience, not just with VW, but Audi too. i have a pp GTi sat feet away from me that i paid 30k cash for, so clearly i was a time waster.

Personally i wanted a good deal, not just on the car but on trade-in too, I'd done my homework, was comfortable with what my trade in was really worth, and what i could expect price wise on the new car.

the common theme was garages owned by Inchcape, which unfortunately is most of them around here. In common with above, cant do enough for you whilst you're there, promise the world, will match any offer elsewhere blah blah.. then always that they couldn't work out the full figures there and will have to come back to you.. never do.

I dealt with 5 VW garages and one Audi garage before i bought from a franchised but independent dealer 40 miles away.

I'm amazed at how car buying has changed, there was a time you were hounded by salesmen for weeks after just because you walked near their showroom, now their attitude appears to me - meh, buy it if you want to.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear this is likely more common place, but glad it wasn't just me! It's amazing that you can spend over 30k on a product and receive a such a lousy attitude. Last week I dropped off my V750 certificate for private plates, the salesman I have been dealing with was busy so I handed it to the sales managers office... He looked clueless to my request. I left wondering if it would just get tossed in the bin! As it happened I emailed the salesman whom I bought the car, twice and a text to confirm he had seen it and placed it in my folder. Two days passed before he apologised for the delay and explained they'd gone into his junk folder!?!

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I had a similar experience, not just with VW, but Audi too. i have a pp GTi sat feet away from me that i paid 30k cash for, so clearly i was a time waster.

Personally i wanted a good deal, not just on the car but on trade-in too, I'd done my homework, was comfortable with what my trade in was really worth, and what i could expect price wise on the new car.

the common theme was garages owned by Inchcape, which unfortunately is most of them around here. In common with above, cant do enough for you whilst you're there, promise the world, will match any offer elsewhere blah blah.. then always that they couldn't work out the full figures there and will have to come back to you.. never do.

I dealt with 5 VW garages and one Audi garage before i bought from a franchised but independent dealer 40 miles away.

I'm amazed at how car buying has changed, there was a time you were hounded by salesmen for weeks after just because you walked near their showroom, now their attitude appears to me - meh, buy it if you want to.

Sorry to hear this is likely more common place, but glad it wasn't just me! It's amazing that you can spend over 30k on a product and receive a such a lousy attitude. Last week I dropped off my V750 certificate for private plates, the salesman I have been dealing with was busy so I handed it to the sales managers office... He looked clueless to my request. I left wondering if it would just get tossed in the bin! As it happened I emailed the salesman whom I bought the car, twice and a text to confirm he had seen it and placed it in my folder. Two days passed before he apologised for the delay and explained they had gone into his junk folder!?!

Some of it you have to blame on credit, they are more interested in selling you credit than a car, £30k £40k £50k etc it's not much in the grand scheme of things.
This is my 2nd brand new car , but I too experienced lack of interest unless they knew you wanted credit, in fact oddly the only place they seemed to not turn their nose up was at an Evans Halshaw that dealt with Ferrari and maserati etc, thought the reps would have quickly ushered us out of the showroom, but like my mate said, they proably thought we were drug dealers :rolleyes:
I prefer now to just deal with a broker and pop by the dealers every now and then.
In fact when I was phoning dealers for my car, I didn't expect them to fall over themselves and told them straight I don't want them to feed me with BS, all they need to do is press some buttons and give me a price and delivery date.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Avanti you've nailed it... Thinking back in November they asked if I would be looking at finance, I told them no! Still dealers make a packet on Servicing, I got the 5 year warranty extension and 3 year servicing added to the deal. I told them to stop mucking about in the end, even took a copy of the online brokers offer and the statement that they'd honour the deal! Told myself any BS and I would walk out and get it elsewhere!

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
i was trying to keep my 'story' brief, however it was only a couple of days before i found the car i've bought that i started looking at alternative ways to pay. up to that point i was looking at 3 years pcp and never discussed a cash sale.

Because i bought my car as a pre registered, the apr being quoted was 11% - i figured it was more cost effective to use savings.

Often yes, it's all right having a bank statment that looks good, but if it never ever gets spent, then one may as well make a PDF document with a million pounds on it, then just look at it occasionally, it pains me how many I see pass away and have money saved but never ever spent any on themselves after they worked so hard for it.
The credit thing, yes driving away with that shiny car for just £100 a week is great but in a couple of years it's still £100 for an older car, likewise with the phones, just watch how many start whining about their iphone 5s when the iphone 6 arrives August ;)

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Passing the time!

While I'm waiting to off load my time served Toyota and take delivery of the GTD I've been thinking back to the cars I've had over the years! This will be my 3rd VW. My other cars from the Volkswagen brand being a White 1972 Beetle (which I co-owned as a youngster living in South Florida), followed by my first UK car a 1988 Jetta GTI that nearly got me through my boy racer years!

VW Beetle.jpg
The 1972 VW Bug... The first and last car where I've managed to fiddle with the mechanics! Engines these days are just too intimidating!

The Jetta met a sticky end! As you can see the build quality even back then was extremely good. I'm hoping never to test out the GTD to the same destructive levels!

Jetta 1.jpg
Stupidity, inexperience and youthful exuberance!

Jetta 2.jpg
Lucky escape in hindsight!

Jetta 3.jpg
Mk2 (1988) Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 GTi

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Immaculate conception whatever happened to stage 4!

omg what happened to the jetta?
A mix of bad judgement and a seriously big tree!

I’ve been occasionally looking at the VW tracker this week (cough) wondering if I would ever get to see my GTD hitting the production line (stage 4)… painfully the days, hours and minutes rolled by as the week passed. Nothing was happening… I’ve been sat with my head in my hands sighing!

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 13.05.01.jpg

Then this morning I received a email telling me the wunderbar news, a Golf had been forged somewhere in Deutschland and I ONLY have 4-5weeks to wait!!! Guess the best bit is knowing it’s out there now, not just a pile of metal, plastic, leather and rubber… but a shiny silver car full of fun and the things that will make me smile!

mon2s

Ready to race!
Your post has made me laugh Stonefish (Once I'd got over the pretty impressive Jetta remodelling!)

As a recent recipient of a GTD, having had two new A Class Mercs last year (long story) I can tell you, its one heck of a car and you made the right choice. I smile every time I get in and I haven't enjoyed a car so much for years.

Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that has a car that arrives quickly. I was driving mine just 15 days after it was built but others seem to have waited much longer.

mon2s

Ready to race!
Oh and I saw my first silver GTD the other day. Now that is a good colour - really showed the car well. (Almost as nice as Limestone :p)