GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3dr GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that has a car that arrives quickly. I was driving mine just 15 days after it was built.

Think you're trying to torture me, 15days! Were you quoted the same guide time of 4 weeks after production? As for the A Class, my friend wanted a GTD but alas the wait was too long for her (6 months), she ended up with an A220 AMG Sport which is a nice motor to be honest, Black everything and riddled with Carbon Fibre. Still the VW is easily more elegant I can't wait to roll up in the Golf! #patience

Just been checking out your car on a different thread. The 'Limestone Grey' does suit it well, I never even considered it as the Configurator does it no favours by making it look very, well Grey! I'm a big fan of silver cars they're very easy to live with. The 'Reflex Silver' was my safe choice and I only changed my mind at the last minute (a little cold looking I thought). The 'Tungsten Silver' is a close match to my Corolla (and a touch warmer) a brut of a car by today's standards but like I said easy to live with, on the eye anyway!

mon2s

Ready to race!
Were you quoted the same guide time of 4 weeks after production? As for the A Class, my friend wanted a GTD but alas the wait was too long for her (6 months), she ended up with an A220 AMG Sport !

Yes, the tracker plays it safe as some cars do take that long. I must have been very lucky that my car went straight onto a ship rather than having to wait at the port like previous cars I've had. As you can see from the dates on my signature, it didn't hang around!

My Mercs were both A220 AMG Sport with lots of options as well. SO slow compared to the GTD and far less economical too. Once you've got your car I think she will regret not being patient. Other than badge kudos, the Merc is a lesser car in every way and especially hampered by an awful DSG (flappy-paddle) gearbox.

mon2s

Ready to race!
The Ex - As you can see, I do like silver (and pano roofs)!

Attachments

• 20131116_152720.jpg
    20131116_152720.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 3,758

redbutcher

Ready to race!
I still quite like the look of the Merc though *GTD* - shame it doesn't live up to how it looks! Stonefish - you won't regret your purchase - having come from a MK6 I'm amazed how more refined the MK7 is - I still grin when I see a GTD/GTI blast past me - they are very nice looking cars :D.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Tick Tock!

Other than badge kudos!
I can believe this, her husband who drives a Range Rover pushed her into the Merc for the badge!!! As for the Panoramic roof option I wish I'd gone for it, with the GTDs black interior and roof liner it would certainly have lightened things up! Think it's too late to add now..

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 10.15.55.jpg

Just had a quick look to see if anything had changed... impatient I know! Seems I'm at the next stage...5a,b,c!?! Hopefully that means it's on a ship or at least sat in a port! Regardless a week has been knocked off since my last update!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
The Last Days of Waiting!

The time to collect my GTD has almost arrived. I know the car is only a few miles away sat at my local dealers (contrary to the infamous tracker that STILL has it in a continental port!) as they’ve called with the news, I’ll be taking delivery on Monday morning so bring on the last agonising days of waiting!!! Part of me wants a peek like a kid on Christmas eve, but I know I’ll enjoy the experience of whipping away the white cover (used by this particular dealer) to reveal my new motor for the first time even more if I don’t!

For those that are at the start of the purchasing process and developing the habit of spend hours reading posts on this forum, I know you’re out there as I do it!! Here is a summary of my times for the different stages of torment:

Stage 1 - Processing your order: 10/04/14 (ordered it).
Stage 2 - With the factory: 29/04/2014 (received tracker number).
Stage 3 - Build week confirmed: 05/05/2014 for the week starting 18/05/2014.
Stage 4 - Build in Progress: ??? (guess it was on time!).
Stage 5 - In Transit: 22/05/2014 (tracker).
Stage 6 - Arrived in the UK: 30/05/2014 (dealer phone call).
Stage 7 - Your car has arrived: 05/06/2014 (dealer phone call).
Stage 8 - Picking it up: 09/06/2014.

When I ordered the car in April I was given an estimated delivery date of 30/11/2014 which seems ridiculous now! Two months has flown by with thanks to the forums never ending Golf MKVII posts. The initial phone call from the dealer stating my GTD's imitate arrival was one of concern that I wouldn’t ready to take delivery, they seemed relived when I said it wasn’t a problem!

I have posted for opinions on 'Paint Protection' and 'Gap Insurance' on General Topics feed, here is where the forum delivers with plenty of advice from those have genuine experience. The question came with the dealers last ditch attempt of squeezing any remaining cash from my pocket whilst I was still buzzing with the news of its arrival. I was tempted by the 'Gap Insurance' but have decide to look online for a policy saving money… but only if I can find a deal worth taking. I was never sold on the 'Paint Protection' and comments received have only strengthened my resolve. I have found a local car detailer who has a package for new cars at half the price… claying sounds messy to me but I know nothing about polishes!?! I normally just let my cars clean themselves by leaving them outside in the rain 24/7 hey this is England! I can hear you all sigh but there is a reason those of us choose Silver as a colour, we’re idle! So at half the price from the dealers offer I’ll get somebody with a website full of shiny cars and testimonials to do it for me!

Last point before I start posting pictures and opinions as a actual VW Golf MkVII owner. I am now actively (loosely active, remember I’m idle!) in the process of getting rid of my trusty Toyota Corolla (gulp and sniffle). The dealer has offered me £600 as a trade in… which is tempting as it solves the problem of how I’m getting to the dealers on Monday. Still think it’s worth more and if I’m honest I don’t need the cash so am not really in a rush… anyway it’s going and thought it deserved one last mention!

Bye Corolla.jpg
This morning I went grocery shopping for my favourite (cheesy-beans ’n’ toast) ingredients as my misses is at work and I have to fend for myself! When I came out this little beauty was parked alongside. A Midnight Blue GTD, can’t wait till Monday!

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
If that is your corolla, it looks well kept and should sell quickly depending upon the age and mileage.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Yep it's 2002 with 97k on the clock, and it has been looked after well. I've been offered £600 for part exchange a low price is to be expected, but it is easier to go that route and it's a trade off to whether the ease of transaction is worth the cost! Once the GTD is parked outside will I really have any desire to deal with the Toyota (thinking not!). Others are going for £1400 private sale, which I would say is very hopeful! Think it's worth a grand... you can't buy anything grand these days! The dealership said they would like to know by tomorrow so they can draw up the paperwork... what are they really going to do if I turn up on Monday with it... I could just spend the time going over the GTD why they rewrite the deal!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Like I was ever not going to take a peek!

I was never going to be able to keep away… Especially as today (totally un planned!) I found myself in the area of the VW dealer!!! At first I was a good lad sticking to my plan just driving past… slower than normal, giving it major swan neck and causing chaos behind me!! I didn’t see anything but the seed had been planted. On the return trip I parked up and enjoyed a browse in the sun at the forecourt (sneaking and trying to hide my grin).. a new GTD in Carbon sat pride of place in the show room… I kept looking till I saw it, there and then I fell in love as it shone amongst the rusty trade stock at the back of the lot!

GTD 1.jpg
My GTD first look!

GTD 2.jpg
I can’t wait till Monday!

ffrank

I think that's the first TS gtd I've seen. Looks epic, the silver trim works really well with it. Enjoy monday, had mine for 3 weeks now and I still look for excuses to need to drive somewhere :)

GC854

Ready to race!
Had a laugh reading your thread, the childish enthusiasm expressed reminds me of me. I too had a peek at all the cars in the dealers back lot until I found mine. In my case the enthusiasm went up a notch or two after delivery. I too had to wait over the weekend and it was murder thinking that I could have been out in the Golf. Still I took the day off when I picked the car up. Top tip.. Don't spend too much time trying to read the manual - it's very long and to my simple mind overly complicated. Just go and drive and the you will find the controls are all quite intuitive

When you pick up the car I'm afraid your Toyota is going be toast. You may love it now but come Monday..... If you don't need the extra cash I would do the humane thing and send her to the dealership.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
So happy with Tungsten Silver

I think that's the first TS gtd I've seen. Looks epic, the silver trim works really well with it.

Yeah I'm really happy with it looks even better in the flesh! I'm really surprised Tungsten Silver isn't more popular as highlighted in Chris43's post 'What's the most popular colour?' Still each to their own... Can't wait to get some better quality pics on those came out very low resolution, might even convert some Red and Whites!!!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Enjoying the build up!

Had a laugh reading your thread, the childish enthusiasm expressed reminds me of me. I too had a peek at all the cars in the dealers back lot until I found mine.

When you pick up the car I'm afraid your Toyota is going be toast. You may love it now but come Monday..... If you don't need the extra cash I would do the humane thing and send her to the dealership.

Glad you find my post amusing, easy to write with a smile on my face when it involves a new Golf at the end! Not sure why I was sneaking to be honest, nobody was remotely interested in what I was doing! If you've read the whole feed you'll know it's along way from being the most switched on of dealerships! I ended up calling them yesterday to ask why it was sporting a 14 plate when I gave them my private number to register it under some time ago! I've already insured it on my own mark so didn't want any surprises come Monday, they've assured me it's going to be fitted... guess time will tell!

As for the Toyota gonna hold out, have someone interest in it so would seem a shame to just throw it away... The classic 'webuyanycar.com' have pretty much match the dealers value so if it's still about towards the end of the month, it's a goner!

GC854

Ready to race!
Good luck with all the arrangements. Always seems to be something else to do!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
The Toyota has gone!

After mucking about trying to sell my Corolla privately, I’ve discovered nobody is interested in buying a 12 year old car no matter how well maintained it is! I then turned to ebay… wow never again! I spent hours last night trying to sort out some validation to my account as they seem to have become overly secure, ended up in a never ending cycle of password changes! Went to bed double frustrated at England’s lack of football finesse pre World Cup and stressed over not part exchanging the Toyota. This morning I awoke to webuyanycar.com and it’s was gone in 30 minutes. Yes they bent me over but when I claim my 6 months tax back I’m £25 up on the part exchange, and as a bonus I’ll be out of that garage in the GTD faster!!