GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3dr GTD DSG in Tungsten Silver

apoc_reg

Passed Driver's Ed
Must just be my mainly city and village driving I guess, my a3 black edition tdi was a decent amount more though (45ish).

Kinda given up on Eco, just going around in normal with the drop down to sport at my fingertips!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!

Rusting up a treat!?!

Nevo

Ready to race!
Got that too. Pretty poor.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All disc hubs do that..........try living up here............one winter & the mess it makes of the car.....................

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Somebody just threw a brick at my car! #treat

Cracked my badge, bonnet and scraped my bumper and window!!!! #awesome

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Roll of the dice!!

Last night while I was driving to a night shift I made one of those noticeable choices that hit you in reflection from time to time! My town has two junctions for getting onto the motorway (freeway) and I was set in lane for the northern option, and here it is... I switched to the slightly longer but more scenic southern option at the last moment not making that choice would have avoided what was to follow and the forth coming ball ache off setting things straight!
My choice made I had passed through the town centre and was now heading south along the main road when I suddenly noticed a large object bounce in front of my car from the right hand side. This was followed instantly by a large clunk and a flash of something passing over my wind screen. I pull up around 100m down the road thinking what the fuck!!! (I've been bricked before almost ritually whist serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter has some of the finest stone throwers in the world!) Checking for damage, the object which was fairly hefty seems to have struck my grill with the VW logo taking most of the impact, worst I notice a chunk out of the edge of my bonnet! I glance up to see and hear a Silver Seat Leon get more incoming, unlike myself they seem to get away with it (there is a reaction but no contact) and they don't have to stop as they pass! My initial response is to head over to the construction site and murder the perpetrators (some people deserve death) But the chances of finding anybody are slim and they're likely to be some pathetic teen creature, so I ring 999 (911)! As I'm greeted by the operator I'm thinking is this really an 'Emergency!' The truth is yes... My car is damaged but less than a second later and it would have been through my wind screen, a touch the other way and I like the Seat would likely never given it a second thought after the next traffic signals! Who's going to be next, I've been marginally lucky receiving but a flesh wound the next could get the full treatment!
I write this the following midday as I lay in bed (remember I worked the night shift, should really still be asleep!) I now have to contemplate what to do next (guess that's why I'm not!) My real concern is the bonnet, grill, front bumper and scratched wind screen... All cosmetic but I guess they need fixing! The Toyota Corolla (my previous long term car) would have absorbed such disfigurement without a glance such were it's battle scars and my lack of desire to correct mishaps. The GTD is nearing 10,000 miles and has done reasonable well, however this is the first time I've regretted buying the Golf and only because of somebody's callous actions and the hopelessness of having to care about an object, the phycological cost of crime!

Last edited:

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Don't regret buying the Golf, Looks like you were at the right place at the wrong time, they are just mindless idiots, hopefully something similar will happen to them.

My MK5 got damaged when a fake big bore tail pipe fell off a Fiesta van I was following.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
It's been a fun day trying to clean up after somebody's night of misbehaving!

1) Received nothing but a crime number from the Police which pretty much match my expectations.
2) Worked out that my excess was a whopping £550! So headed to the main dealer to see if I was even going down that route! [emoji23] How much £1500...
3) Call VW Insurance (this comes with all UK cars designed to ensure only VW parts and approved services are used by insurance companies) Seems my VW dealer isn't approved... This is an even bigger shock to them than me!
4) Get advised to go directly through my Insurer by VW Insurance which totally nullifies the existence of VW Insurance... On this even the app didn't work, I tried it as I though it might bring a little fun to this kick in the nuts!
5) My insurance company is very sympathetic but want to low load my car across the country to get fix by their approved repair service... I ask why I can't have it fixed by the local main dealer... They're not on their list either!?!
6) Get told I can have my own garage do the work but I need 2 quotes... Just want the local garage I'm face to face with, bought it from and service my car to fix it!!!

Back on a night shift tonight so going to try demand local VW guys fix it to my insurance tomorrow, really don't want it at a Ford garage in the ass end of nowhere!?!

Badge took the hit!

Smashed the grill and mounting!

Ripped a chunk out of the bonnet... Need a new one, that means paint job on bumper and front wings!

On top of that I need a chip in my front bumper fixing.. A item I could live with but if I'm shelling out £550 and screwing my no claims might as well go for it... And a number plate mount!

Last edited:

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Hoping for one of these as a courtesy car... Not much chance but made a grim day that much more pleasant!

Polo GTI probably more a like the original Golf!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I feel for you, little f**kers throwing stones need there dicks cutting off.

I wouldn't worry to much about it not being a VW body shop, in the end you need it to do a good job. If choose your own are the repairs covered under warranty the same as the body shop recommended by your insurance? I don't where you are in the UK but is it worth asking on here if anybody can recommend a good body shop?

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
24 hours later and much exclaiming and it looks like 'common sense' might have won the day. I now don't have to spend my time seeking further quotes or accept the faceless low loading insurance approved repairer! Short of a rubber stamp by Admirals Engineer I can get the repairs done by my local dealer after all! Seems logical to me this is where I bought it, service it and have had the reassurance of actually talking to them! Even more brow beating is that the insurance choice and the one I want are the same repair company!! Just mine is local to me and within my VW dealer, surly I just save them some fuel and loader costs, but alas it's me that feels like I've been done the favour!

Anyway time to get over it all and look forward to spending my cash on the excess! You can get excess protection for as little as £19.99 a year... Suggest if you're buying a new car and are forced into fixing these cosmetic mishaps get it! Because you never know what life's little scrotbag's will throw at you on a Monday night!

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Spoilt!

My car is getting its first service followed straight away with a visit to the body shop! The garage has given me a Honda Jazz as a courtesy car even after my pleas for the Polo GTI! Wow it's easy to forget just how unpleasant driving can be for a lot of motorist out there. I've only been to do a little shopping and a pick up the missus and already the tediousness of having to do simple driving tasks has overwhelmed me! How do you cope with unlocking and starting your cars without the keyless option. Even worst having to turn on you window wipers, lights, use your mirrors while reversing and apply the handbrake or change gears! Missing my GTD

Nevo

Ready to race!
Just been reading the bricking tale gutted for you.

Are the repairs complete now or are you still suffering the Jazz?

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
The GTD is back to normal with the bonnet extra shiny, I think the paint from the spray shop is a little thicker than the factory! As for the Honda Jazz forgotten about it already, certainly doubt there's a forum for Jazz owners! Got myself some excess insurance, a slight slip of the tongue and the sales woman gave me £1000 cover for only £10... Haha just read that back she told me the wrong price not me tonging for a discount!!! Really recommend if you're about to or have bought a new car getting some of this cover! #lessonlearnt

Nevo

Ready to race!
Glad it's all resolved. With any luck the paint will withstand the stone chips that the new water based factory finish seem to suffer.