GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 SE with 6500 miles throwing codes for the turbo.. help (attached log from obd11)

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
But he isn't out of warranty and it's not reasonable for a dealer to expect him to not have use of his car for so long.

Thats the other issue. The VWOA rep told me I should have the car towed immediately to the dealership today and shouldn't be driven. Luckily I'm oy working today and have the next 3 days off.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You can also just rent a car to get things going and then just ask that VW reimburse you - that is certainly a possibility. At some point you just have to get things done and dealers, like it or not, don't always have or offer loaners - I don't believe that's even something listed in the warranty documentation and is mostly done as a dealer curtesy if you car is in for warranty repairs that take more than a day/few days. They owe you to fix the car, that's it. And, your state has consumer protections in place for situations where they don't/can't - "lemon laws" - typically a certain time out of service during the first 1-2 years (30 days is common) OR in for the same issue that they can't sort out (3x is common) of course with all the proper documentation. Fair or not, the cost of this stuff will fall on you from time to time and buying new cars with the expectation of zero out-of-pocket or time hassles due to a new-car warranty, doesn't always work that way. Good luck! Hopefully it's a simple turbo swap due to a bad WG.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Sure seems like a problem with cars.
The 18’ models and onward haven’t had the issues you are describing.
When and if you can get the remedy covered by VW - you will have a hard time selling due to the report on the Carfax service history, or be worth less.
How would a warranty repair make any difference in resale value? Would you not buy a car b/c it was fixed for XYZ under warranty?

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
You can also just rent a car to get things going and then just ask that VW reimburse you - that is certainly a possibility. At some point you just have to get things done and dealers, like it or not, don't always have or offer loaners - I don't believe that's even something listed in the warranty documentation and is mostly done as a dealer curtesy if you car is in for warranty repairs that take more than a day/few days. They owe you to fix the car, that's it. And, your state has consumer protections in place for situations where they don't/can't - "lemon laws" - typically a certain time out of service during the first 1-2 years (30 days is common) OR in for the same issue that they can't sort out (3x is common) of course with all the proper documentation. Fair or not, the cost of this stuff will fall on you from time to time and buying new cars with the expectation of zero out-of-pocket or time hassles due to a new-car warranty, doesn't always work that way. Good luck! Hopefully it's a simple turbo swap due to a bad WG.
In Atlanta I got a loaner every time I had a water pump replaced on my mk6, even when they didn't have the pumps.

I will see how tomorrow goes. I don't have cash right now for a rental and VWOA said they wouldn't reimburse me for a rental.

Ford once gave me an Enterprise Rental car as a loaner and Honda has always given loaners for even the most simplest of things.

Which car insurance offers a rental car for warranty work? I didn't see it as an option with progressive.. I'll need new car insurance soon anyways might as well see if that's an option if I keep this car.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Stupid question.. If I tell them that I pulled codes and reset them... Is that bad? Just thinking if they tell me they reset the codes and send me on my way.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
How would a warranty repair make any difference in resale value? Would you not buy a car b/c it was fixed for XYZ under warranty?

Yeah I don't agree with this either, if I ran a Carfax on a used car I'm willing to purchase, I wouldn't have an issue at all for almost any warranty repairs. I think engine swaps would be when it gets iffy for me.. only if the engine swap occurred within the past few hundred miles.

@Blindeye_03 I don't think you'd have any issues letting the dealer know you pulled the codes, reset them, and they're coming up again. I've always let the dealer know in the past when I've done this and it seems to help prevent that exact scenario where they just reset the codes and send you on your way

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I don't agree with this either, if I ran a Carfax on a used car I'm willing to purchase, I wouldn't have an issue at all for almost any warranty repairs. I think engine swaps would be when it gets iffy for me.. only if the engine swap occurred within the past few hundred miles.

@Blindeye_03 I don't think you'd have any issues letting the dealer know you pulled the codes, reset them, and they're coming up again. I've always let the dealer know in the past when I've done this and it seems to help prevent that exact scenario where they just reset the codes and send you on your way

Awesome, I'll let them know then when I get there.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I was told the dash lights are off. That it will take all day long to do the tests they need to do. I need to leave the car but they don't have a loaner for me. So now I'm taking the car home with me. I guess in 2 weeks when they can get a loaner I can have my car looked at.

This is absurd.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Dang, that's awful. The only reason why I could think the dealer needs the light to be on is that it must have to do with how they document warranty work for VW.

That said, it's disappointing that they couldn't offer up a loaner or rental for you or something, especially considering how long you had to wait already. Also disappointing that they couldn't think of anything to do since you've seen the light come on already, can recall the changes in how the car drives in detail, and even had logs available.

Hope it gets resolved soon and that this isn't a big issue.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Does the ECU not have a log of what codes were thrown? Seems like even if the CEL is not currently on, they'd be able to pull what codes were previously thrown.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Dang, that's awful. The only reason why I could think the dealer needs the light to be on is that it must have to do with how they document warranty work for VW.

That said, it's disappointing that they couldn't offer up a loaner or rental for you or something, especially considering how long you had to wait already. Also disappointing that they couldn't think of anything to do since you've seen the light come on already, can recall the changes in how the car drives in detail, and even had logs available.

Hope it gets resolved soon and that this isn't a big issue.
The light WAS on. And they said the turbo was 1800 degrees f. Um the damn thing didn't spool at all so, yeah.

I told the advisor to let me know when they get a loaner and I'll come back but who knows when that is. I have another appointment tomorrow at a dealer by my work.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Does the ECU not have a log of what codes were thrown? Seems like even if the CEL is not currently on, they'd be able to pull what codes were previously thrown.
They did. They told me the codes even but said they have to test the turbo itself..

And the CEL was on when I got it back. Maybe they meant the epc light? But the advisor said the lights weren't on for them. I felt like they were doing a really bad job lying to me. For whatever reason. But maybe I'm wrong..?

Last edited:

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
The light WAS on. And they said the turbo was 1800 degrees f. Um the damn thing didn't spool at all so, yeah.

I told the advisor to let me know when they get a loaner and I'll come back but who knows when that is. I have another appointment tomorrow at a dealer by my work.
Oh dang, my bad. I misunderstood. Still doesn't change how much it stinks the dealer couldn't accommodate somehow though. I hope you have better luck with the other dealer by your work tomorrow! Keep us posted. I'm interested to know what it is since I picked up a 2019 GTI SE recently myself. I'm not expecting anything to go wrong, but it always helps to know more just in case, so I appreciate you updating this thread.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Oh dang, my bad. I misunderstood. Still doesn't change how much it stinks the dealer couldn't accommodate somehow though. I hope you have better luck with the other dealer by your work tomorrow! Keep us posted. I'm interested to know what it is since I picked up a 2019 GTI SE recently myself. I'm not expecting anything to go wrong, but it always helps to know more just in case, so I appreciate you updating this thread.

They actually suggested I take it somewhere else that had more loaner cars.

Ill keep the thread updated, im sure not everyone enjoys seeming my rants LOL but ill at least have a resolution in here soon, I am hoping.