GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 SE with 6500 miles throwing codes for the turbo.. help (attached log from obd11)

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Wow. That is maddening. It's a great car, but the quality of service you received from multiple dealers seems like it was lacking, to say the least. Seems like there's been more reports of wastegate issues (assuming it's the issue your car is having) lately and it's a bit concerning.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Wow. That is maddening. It's a great car, but the quality of service you received from multiple dealers seems like it was lacking, to say the least. Seems like there's been more reports of wastegate issues (assuming it's the issue your car is having) lately and it's a bit concerning.

It is. I hope that it's just my area that is giving people a hard time.

I have an open case with VW and mentioned that I was bringing my car to sell soon because I can't deal with this issue not getting fixed.

They mentioned a buy back? Curious to see what that's about.. Idk what's so hard about just fixing the car?

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Wow. That’s pretty awesome if they’ll buy it back. Pick up a new one or just be on your way with something else.

You’re right though, it’s interesting that they even bring it up. Why not fix it? Or is there a bigger issue we’re not aware of?

Now I’m even more interested to see how this turns out. Good luck!

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I don't know you OP, but seriously f**k this whole experience. I can't say for sure it's all on the dealer as I was not present for these interactions, but... just insane. I've had nothing but great experiences with my service manager at my local dealership, and they've always taken care of me with loaners. Just insane what you are going through on a essentially brand new car. Best of luck.

At this point I don't blame you for being disenfranchised on the car. Push for a buyback or at least for a proper loaner while they fix the car. I mean, wtf.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Right, why not fix it? I have proof the codes came back.. But now I have to take it back again when they do come back.

I've been as nice as I could be but when I say "so you're telling me that you are doing nothing" and their reply is "read what it says and stop being rude" I just lose any interest in the car what so ever. If it's rude for me to question what theyre doing then yeah I'm rude. I also don't like being talked to condescendingly.

If the car was modded I'd understand, maybe. But it's stock. Never autocrossed or drag raced.

If they can fix it.. Great. If they offer a buyback and I lose no money, even better (like they give me what I owe). Somehow I doubt I'll get that so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I know this will come off as completely assholish....if you don't have $100 for a 2-day rental at Enterprise in a worst-case scenario where they can't provide a loaner, how can you afford this car? I'm not saying you shouldn't get a loaner, but life happens to everyone and you need to be able to just deal with it sometimes. The dealer hasn't refused to fix your car, they have ask you to drive it and if the CEL/EPC/limp comes back, bring it in. You don't get a buyback b/c they can't give you a loaner. Consider that the dealer has a procedure to follow to both diagnose and fix the car as well as have the backup to get VW to pay them back for the warranty claim. Just my 2 cents.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This dealer doesn't want the business.

For whatever reason, this sounds like more trouble than it's worth to them. Otherwise I would be skeptical of the service provided by a dealership that was doing their best to give me the stiff arm.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I know this will come off as completely assholish....if you don't have $100 for a 2-day rental at Enterprise in a worst-case scenario where they can't provide a loaner, how can you afford this car? I'm not saying you shouldn't get a loaner, but life happens to everyone and you need to be able to just deal with it sometimes. The dealer hasn't refused to fix your car, they have ask you to drive it and if the CEL/EPC/limp comes back, bring it in. You don't get a buyback b/c they can't give you a loaner. Consider that the dealer has a procedure to follow to both diagnose and fix the car as well as have the backup to get VW to pay them back for the warranty claim. Just my 2 cents.
Under most any normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. If you can afford the car, a short term rental wouldn't be the end of the world.

OP mentioned though that they're in the middle of a divorce. That's an appreciable unexpected expense. That, and I'd hardly consider things stable or certain with the pandemic so there's plenty of reasons for the OP to be as conservative as possible with their spending.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I am not going to discuss finances here. Major life changes suck, and I was actually going to start the process to sell this car because reasons. Obviously I wouldnt sell it now with its problems but I will once it is fixed for more than just being irritated with VW.

The first dealer told me 2 weeks till they got a loaner and that me waiting 5 hours would let the car cool down enough to test it. They told me to come back when I had a way to get home/work etc. But why am I being put out for a rental car? Ive never had to in my history of cars and I am not starting now when its a warranty issue.

The second dealer reset the codes and called it good which it isnt. I have proof showing the codes come back. So now I am just waiting for the codes to reappear at the most inopportune time.

Why didnt they say anything about testing the turbo? Why didnt the first dealer reset the codes? Exactly what procedure is VW supposed to be following because each dealer is doing whatever they want to do... I just dont have time to be playing these stupid games right now.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
This dealer doesn't want the business.

For whatever reason, this sounds like more trouble than it's worth to them. Otherwise I would be skeptical of the service provided by a dealership that was doing their best to give me the stiff arm.
Right why do I want to force a dealer to do warranty work? I am hesitant to go back to either one at this point, they clearly saw the issues but didnt do anything to resolve them.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Under most any normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. If you can afford the car, a short term rental wouldn't be the end of the world.

OP mentioned though that they're in the middle of a divorce. That's an appreciable unexpected expense. That, and I'd hardly consider things stable or certain with the pandemic so there's plenty of reasons for the OP to be as conservative as possible with their spending.

Right, I think I spooked the car into breaking with the threat of a sale LOL. I went from being able to afford it to not being able to. Shit happens.

I also never knew how expensive this shit was going to be. Life goes on, I just want my car fixed without paying for it. I guess thats too much to ask for some people.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am not going to discuss finances here. Major life changes suck, and I was actually going to start the process to sell this car because reasons. Obviously I wouldnt sell it now with its problems but I will once it is fixed for more than just being irritated with VW.

The first dealer told me 2 weeks till they got a loaner and that me waiting 5 hours would let the car cool down enough to test it. They told me to come back when I had a way to get home/work etc. But why am I being put out for a rental car? Ive never had to in my history of cars and I am not starting now when its a warranty issue.

The second dealer reset the codes and called it good which it isnt. I have proof showing the codes come back. So now I am just waiting for the codes to reappear at the most inopportune time.

Why didnt they say anything about testing the turbo? Why didnt the first dealer reset the codes? Exactly what procedure is VW supposed to be following because each dealer is doing whatever they want to do... I just dont have time to be playing these stupid games right now.
Again, not trying to be a dick. I just look at situations like this differently I guess - time is money and my time is valuable as is my sanity. If the car needs to be dropped off for a few days to get fixed, I would do it and do my best to find a ride, rent a car, borrow a car, whatever. Yes, dealers should help out where they can to offer loaners/rides for warranty work that requires an overnight stay for the car, but they can't always do it and you have to work within the reality that you are dealt - get made about things you can control, not the ones you can't. Once you kill the CEL/EPC, those codes are there for them to see them. Good luck, hope you can get it all sorted.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Again, not trying to be a dick. I just look at situations like this differently I guess - time is money and my time is valuable as is my sanity. If the car needs to be dropped off for a few days to get fixed, I would do it and do my best to find a ride, rent a car, borrow a car, whatever. Yes, dealers should help out where they can to offer loaners/rides for warranty work that requires an overnight stay for the car, but they can't always do it and you have to work within the reality that you are dealt - get made about things you can control, not the ones you can't. Once you kill the CEL/EPC, those codes are there for them to see them. Good luck, hope you can get it all sorted.

Thats part of where I felt like they didnt even want to look at the car.. I was there at 1pm (their earliest appointment) yet that wasnt enough time for them to do these "tests". I told them to let it sit, I can wait.

The car is driving fine without the CEL & EPC lights but for how long? Hopefully they'll illuminate soon. Its easier for me to bum rides to this dealer since they are by my work. That first dealer was just out of the way all together. I guess that info would have helped to have known.. I was anticipating leaving the car there today and just walking to or getting a ride from a coworker. Its not even 2 miles away. I could have gotten a ride home and had another ride to work no problem. And thats what I am prepared to do once I take it back in.

I was just really shocked VWoA muttered buyback. If they give me close to what I owe (doubtful) then I'd take that since its easier than waiting to sell this private party. And now with a "tainted" carfax.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thats part of where I felt like they didnt even want to look at the car.. I was there at 1pm (their earliest appointment) yet that wasnt enough time for them to do these "tests". I told them to let it sit, I can wait.

The car is driving fine without the CEL & EPC lights but for how long? Hopefully they'll illuminate soon. Its easier for me to bum rides to this dealer since they are by my work. That first dealer was just out of the way all together. I guess that info would have helped to have known.. I was anticipating leaving the car there today and just walking to or getting a ride from a coworker. Its not even 2 miles away. I could have gotten a ride home and had another ride to work no problem. And thats what I am prepared to do once I take it back in.

I was just really shocked VWoA muttered buyback. If they give me close to what I owe (doubtful) then I'd take that since its easier than waiting to sell this private party. And now with a "tainted" carfax.
Your Carfax is not "tainted" 🤣